Search for numbers - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Search for numbers

So I was a little bored today and was looking for pictures of cars running 275's in the rear. I tried searching for 275/40/18, 275/40R18, "275/40/18", "275/40R18", 275x18, 18x9, then the same with 17's. All came up with no match.

Are numbers invalid in the search box? Seems like it would be a pretty common search item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 11, 03:58 PM
Guess

Re: Search for numbers

Hmmm.... good question!
Didn't work for me either in Wheels & Tires.
So I started playing.... I went to Engines and searched on '396' and nothing came up. I tried '041 heads' and only got posts with the word 'heads' in them. Then I tried '327 heads' and got a post with '327' in it.

Went back to Wheels & Tires and typed in '275's' and got a lot of hits. Try that instead.
(all searches were without the quotes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 11, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Thanks Joe, definitely a lot of hits with 275's.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 11, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I am having the same problem, can't search 350 anymore. Seams this has been happening for a couple of months now, anything 3 letters or numbers or less.

[U]1969 cloneish Z28

350,9.6 comp,Vortec heads,Crane 274ho6,rpm air gap,Flowmaster
HEI,Holley 600 DP,4 speed 3.11 first,Hotchkis suspension,3.08 rear... need posi.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 02:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I can't search numbers either. Trying to search for 1168 (as in Speed Pro's camshafts). I know I can throw in the "speed pro" in the search, but shouldn't we be able to run number searches, too?

Admins, mods: any help?

Thanks!

EDIT: actually, now that I'm running more searches, attempting to search only thread titles, "speed pro cam" pulls up a bunch of irrelevant results. It only seems to find "speed," which helps none. What's up with that?

Last edited by ZaCamaro69; Aug 19th, 11 at 02:46 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 03:03 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I used 350ci and got a lot of threads. I got 3 threads returned searching 1168 including this one.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 03:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I used 350ci and got a lot of threads. I got 3 threads returned searching 1168 including this one.
Yeah, I got the same results. Guess I just couldn't believe that every single cam in the world doesn't have extensive discussion here on TC!

But what about the searched including the words "cam" and "pro"? Surely those are not overly common words to be weeded out (like "or," "and," etc)?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 03:41 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Do a google search for speed pro 1168 and you won't find much either...

Who ever the database guy is for autoforums it's a tough job to try and make the search as functional as possible. Short 2-3 letter words are resource hogs and don't return much that's usable. Look at the 2 examples given; "cam" and "pro", how many words are those two part of compared to "camshaft" and "professional"? If the db guy let the search engine run with "cam" on this site how many threads will turn up with "camaro" in them?

...Dennis

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech

Right, but not being able to search for engine by displacement is going to really miss a lot of info. The number of threads with "ci" immediately after the displacement as in your earlier example are very, very few relative to total numbers of posts. Some guys type 396, few type 396 ci, few type 396 cu in. But 396 catches them all.

If it's a permanent, non-negotiable change, not much point doing searches trying to help anyone anymore. No traffic, won't be anyone to worry about hogging resources.

I understood not using two character numbers, like 67, for the reasons stated. But three number strings, four number strings? Have to use more than three letters? How many good threads about camshaft selection actually have camshaft spelled out in any one of the posts. I bet it is way less than 50%.

Whatever, I rarely B&C about site admin issues, but this change will frustrate a lot of us, and we'll be gone.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 05:26 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Eric computer resources (processor power) searching a database and bandwidth are different animals. Can you find one automotive site where you can search 3 numbers like 350 or 396 and come back with results? I haven't looked but doubt very few if any because it's a limit of the software and processor resources as well as getting practical results. Sure if you have a database with a few thousand records in it you can get away with a lot more than one with 1.5 mil posts in it like this site. Wonder how many words that is stored total?

I'm not a db guy by any means, I'm just trying to relate that search engines are not perfected, I met a young guy who is in college and working as an intern at a company that is paying his tuition for doing research on making a better search engine. Anyway if anyone finds a site where they can search on a series of numbers like 350 and get valid results, I'll personally contact their web guy and try to find out what they are doing...

...Dennis

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 06:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Do a google search for speed pro 1168 and you won't find much either...

Who ever the database guy is for autoforums it's a tough job to try and make the search as functional as possible. Short 2-3 letter words are resource hogs and don't return much that's usable. Look at the 2 examples given; "cam" and "pro", how many words are those two part of compared to "camshaft" and "professional"? If the db guy let the search engine run with "cam" on this site how many threads will turn up with "camaro" in them?
Yeah, ran google searches before posting. Not my first rodeo.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech

Dennis, I get it that owners of automotive websites have technical computing issues that drive some of their decision making. I also would assume that many owners and/or tech guys are not gearheads, they are just in this to generate revenue.

But they could also save resources by just deleting old posts after a certain time, because the wealth of knowledge that lives in this forum is absolutely useless without a way to search and access. So, now if one of us wants to try and help a newbie, or find something for ourselves, it can't be done. Extremely frustrating.

I have stayed loyal here even after the takeover, but you can still search numbers at FirstGens.com , so I guess I'll spend more time over there.

I know that to some extent you and the other mods here have to defend some things Autoforums does, but they really need to understand that the "upgrades" they are making and settings the forum runners are choosing are going to affect viewers and members. Is it possible to pass that message up the chain, or do we have to start deleting our accounts so they cannot point to the total number of members for ad sales?

And I know you have been here longer than I have (and have a nicer vert ), so if you don't want to be in the middle, I guess I can figure out how to contact AutoForums on my own.

I used to use HotRodders.com too, but it looks like they have been taken over as well.

Not much of a business model if you can't figure out a way to let folks access info. This will just become some stupid chat room, and that I can do without.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I agree that some number just make sense, 327, 350, 383, 396, 427, etc. It would definitely lead to more useful search returns. The same could be said for some short words and letters, RS comes to mind.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 12:06 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Eric - I'm not taking the owners of the sites side or trying to do anything but offer an explanation as I see it. You mention a site that gets 1 or 2 users on it at any given time and has taken 2 years to generate about 2 weeks worth of of traffic and data that this site does, sure you can search a number in Jims database I already mentioned it would be possible on a small database. Go over to Nastyz28.com (not an autoforums owned site) and search "350" you get exactly the same you get here.

Here's something to try with our search engine if you want; search 3 5 0 with spaces. You'll get zero results but a different message, one that says 3, 5 and 0 are too short. If the 350 search was autoforums blocked as too short then it would report that just like it does with 3, 5 and 0. When every well established forum board owned by others as well as autoforums acts the same as this site searching I don't think there is anything that can be done. Certainly it's not a subversive thing autoforums is doing.

As for the forum changes, I took hours to go through the forums looking at members suggestions mulling them around, then took more hours laying out the changes that would best meet the requests and presented the changes to the team of moderators. When the moderators gave me the feeling that the changes would work I then stayed on the autoforums folks for over 2 months even writing letters to the site owners before the changes were put in place! Before that I spent 2 years riding the autoforums guys to clean up the site, bring back the team store and update this place before more of the membership bails. I finally got their attention and we are getting some things updateds and changed. These changes have had no effect on the search function at all!

Like you I have stayed loyal to TC or I should say stayed loyal to guys like you, the members of TC that make it worth coming here! The only loyality I have to autoforums is they have kept our forums up and running and for that I indeed thank them. Had they not stepped in when they did with a few dollars who knows what would have happened. Al didn't get rich off the sale of this site like some would have folks believe. What did happen is Al got his health back because this place along with his day job was taking his health from him. There is a real good chance that Al would have had to shut down our forums if the sale didn't come along! Since the sale of this site, 3 other Camaro sites have surfaced being run by folks that use to frequent the forums here. It's been 2-3 years and all 3 of them at no fault of the folks that put them together have ever really taken off. I don't know what the magic is to this place but it's surviving and I'm trying to make it better for everyone dispite the fact that the forums are burried under a mountain of advertising which I don't care for but will live with to keep the forums up.

I'm not on the payroll here, my time here is for the members, my fellow Camaro lovers. I've not asked more than a handfull of tech questions in the over 25,000 posts I've made here over the past 10 plus years! My reasons for being here are to help others and that is all I was doing here was trying to help you understand there are reasons you can't search numbers like 350 or 327.

...Dennis

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 12:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Hey, what's it cost to buy a site these? Maybe we can turn it into a group purchase and co-op it?

I'm half kidding, but now that I'm thinking about it, has anyone ever heard of something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode