Site Slow? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Site Slow?

Is this site slow or did I get faster? I am seeing this on several differant machines.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 11, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Site Slow?

Some of the adverts are slow to load...but no not as far as I can see...and Im 1/2 way around the other side of the world...
use open in tab or page more often.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 06:34 AM
Retired
Jim

Don. Ive mentioned this in the back room and the excuse is that the ads take time to load, google ads seem to be the worst but we also must have slow servers somewhere in between us and the sites primary server... I get lagging loads all the time, it sucks big time and Im on cable with 18 meg speed now. I guess its the price of being under new ownership.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Fwiw, I've been watching traffic flow on the major fiber trunks through the bay area and traffic is very congested. Appears the rains out here are causing service outages and resulting in redirections. In plain speak, things are slow as the path from A -> B is being detoured A-> C -> E -> B.

Dennis may know more about this that I do.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Thanks Click and all, at least I know its not me.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 10:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

There may be something to what RJ is saying, the network is just like the freeway and roadway system with the exception that on the freeway the cars driver controls the path or route he wants to take. On the net the "packets" like cars are controled by techs...

All that said I know Jim is frustrated, he's had issues a long time... I don't know all the answers but the problem some are having is not wide spread. I have a couple accounts, different browsers, different operating systems and hardware (processors and ram) I have to use and can access the site with or without ads and at various member and guest levels. I can not duplicate the slow down on any of my configs and hardware. I know ads slow the page loads but not to the degree that it would cause Jim or others to complain.

Typical basic troubleshooting says if you have 100 users and get 70 reports of the same problem you have a global issue and 30 users just logged off figuring others will report it. Then on the other hand if you have 100 users and only 2 report a problem (it is still a problem) the likely hood of it being global is slim to none and it changes the approach to resolving the issue drastically...

Following basic trouble shooting methods in the later case it's not likely the problem is on the AF servers and is more likely at the individual PC level. Start there, and work your way back to the site and it's content. To the guy having the problem that approach doesn't make sense because the problem only happens on this site... Now we do have this invasive animal we all know as advertising where the content comes from a 3rd party site or in the case here many many 3rd party sites. Some of these ads may only show up on your screen because they are fed to you based on what is found in your cache and the cookies stored on your pc..

It could be routing like RJ offered up, it could be any number of settings in your browser not getting along with that one ad you see and nobody else does. It might not even be ad related... I have one configuration set up using IE and software called "simple adblock" and with it I don't see a single ad on this site. When it's running it also blocks a lot of video and other content and when leaving the site to go to other pages on some it takes forever to leave TC and on others it's quick.

At this point I have no idea where the trouble is for a handful of the hundreds but do suggest you not stop looking into it on your end. Clear your cache, check every setting, delete cookies, check out your network especially wi-fi. You may have blistering internet service and a 100megbit wired network but if your wireless is only 10megabit or slower it may choke down the entire network to the wi-fi speed. If you have multi-users on your box it could be associated with another account and the cookies and cache of that account. I could go on and on but this is already getting long and I'm really just trying to encourage folks to keep looking locally on your end and understand the nature of the problem from the tech's end... Hope my rambling helps in some way!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

All excellent points Dennis.

Another factor that plays into this is if you go through a secondary ISP (internet service provider) or not. Some folks connect direct to say Verizon or AT&T while others use a regional ISP that then connects to one of the big guys. This added network hop can at times make a difference and also how the hardware on your ISP's end is configured. Some secondary ISP's may even be tracking your clicks or cookies for demographics.

Many years ago I was having a ton of problems on any/all sites and spent countless hours with my ISP working the issue. Finally we figured out the network card I was on at the central office included a user that was essentially spamming the net. Once they moved me to a different port my network speed has been great ever since.

If you are using a wi-fi connection try going to a hardwired ethernet cable directly to your modem or router and see if that makes things better. You could have a problem with your wi-fi setup and it may be as simple as a setting like Dennis eluded to or even down rev firmware. Late last year my sons noticed a problem with our Netgear wi-fi router late at nights (way past my bedtime) where it seemed to reset the ports. Turned out this was a known problem and there was a firmware upgrade that resolved it.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 03:12 PM
Retired
Jim

Im on hardwire ethernet all the time here. 16meg cable speed, I check the speed weekly. Its been in the last 3 months or so that Ive noticed the herky jerky way that the pages load when I move from section to section. Other sites I use paint onto my screen smoothly in a quick method...but TC here paints in jerks, slows, speeds up, slows, etc. till the screen is full. I watch the loading sites in the bottom left corner and its clearly google ad sites as well as autoforum sites such as af2, af3 etc. not sure what those are but its site connected.
Its all part of the new quest for speed that everyone wants but with more speed, comes expense, with expense comes need for advertising dollars, with that come more ads that need to load each time you refresh. The ads change too, so cache wont always have a fresh current copy..
Oh well. it beats sending letters by snail mail. right?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 05:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hey Jim something you said in another conversation and what you said about "quest for speed" makes me wonder if you just don't have the horsepower behind that 18meg internet connection. What are you using for a computer? Processor, Ram, OS and browser version?

Part of the tech revolution is a form of perpitual motion; One day you buy the best hardware money can buy, load it with the newest programs and it's one fast machine. Then a year later after downloading new drivers to stay current and buying new versions of the software you use that old hotrod starts slowing down... Another year goes buy and more software updates and you find out you need more ram as your box just can't breath, a new hard drive is also in order because new programs not only require more ram to run but they take up more storage space. Now a new OS version is available and it needs even more processor power, drive space and ram than ever before... It's madness so you just keep the old box and OS and avoid updating most drivers and programs but a lot of updates get pushed onto that old box. It gets slower and slower, sometimes you can start over with a fresh load of the OS and revive that old box and it runs great for a while but eventually you load a new program or two and it gets slow once again...

The perpitual motion is this;

New Hardware, more RAM and drive space > New version of software programs requiring more processor, RAM and storage space > New Hardware, more RAM and drive space > New version of software programs requiring more processor, RAM and storage space...............

...Dennis

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 11, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
the excuse is that the ads take time to load, google ads seem to be the worst but we also must have slow servers somewhere in between us and the sites primary server...
I recon most of the problem is the servers the adverts are on....
right clk an advert, you will notice in the properties it is hot linked...(similar to adding a pic or movie link from uTube.)
And add to that some of them are up in the 40K even 80K size.
current one on this page is small
http://a.vadstorage.com/16623/468_60_revised.gif 40K
What can I say about the person who made it...bloody lazy that could be edited way smaller than that quite easy

Notice how the Ground Up sponsor ad is under 7K? thats NOT an issue.
http://as3.autoforums.com/ads/www/im...67fea1a337.jpg
And notice it appears to be on these servers and controlled by the server admin.

Notice how Click and Dennis avatars are under 2 K good stuff
And all the other buttons are around the 2K size good

The total size of this page (as I type) is well over 140K....thats over 2 times the recomened 65 K size....AND thats with one of the smaller banners.
The last thing to load ..and waits is all the google add stuff.

I have a adsl2 connection 16meg down pinging at around 230 ms to camaros.net From NZ... Which is pretty damn good.

This site is dependant on income from google ads (I assume) and sponsers... So its a bit of caught between the ocean and deep blue sea as I see it.

As I said above, make use of open in new tab.....hit "new posts since last visit" go down the page.... depending what browser one uses...right click the link, open in tab or just click with the middle wheel button.
Will never notice the latency.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 05:35 AM
Guess

I've only got 10-11 down, 1 up and it's not slow for me. Time Warner did just replace all their modems with slick new Cisco modems which helped also. But it wasn't slow before.
And I'm not running some slick PC with the latest OS or anything either.
Junky old Dell Optiplex GX620 3GHz with 2Gb RAM and crotchety old WindowsXP. No fancy HOST file and just AdBlock+ on Firefox.
It must have a lot to do with where you are in 'the cloud'.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 10:47 AM
Retired
Jim

Im running a Dell Inspiron l6400 with intel CPU T2400 @ 1.83Ghz
987 Mhz, 0.99GB of ram, using Win XP Media Center Edition with all updates,
Brand new Charter Internet Cable line just installed in home and new overhead lines from house to the road into the Cable system, running 18meg speed, thru DLink router and Charter modem.
All this aside, my other primary websites such as our Realtor MLS System which is rich with videos and photos of homes with huge files runs fine, but they dont have banner ads or flash promo stuff either.
New sites that I read all load their home pages very fast. Maybe cuz TC here is the only site that I use that has all these banners and flashes is probably the main culprit.
Before Auto Forums, even on previous computer that was slower and on DSL, the TC stuff always loaded fast. Im pretty certain its the 'money loads' as I call them, that are loading slow in here. Again, we cant change that, its a part of the corp. life on the internet. Sorta like the sunday paper with all the ads in the middle section. I dump those first so I can get to the meat of the paper. Great discussion guys for others that experience the same thing.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 11:44 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Not disagreeing with you about the ads Jim but when I can't duplicate it here no matter how/what I try, it tells me there is something on your end in all the settings and options that can be turned on and off that if you can find it will resolve the problem. It could be a setting on your browser, your pc's network card, in windows xp, the fact that you only have 1gb ram... It could even be a setting in your router...

I had a single pc out of 100 identical units all ghosted with the same image (meaning identical configs) or so that couldn't ftp a file to the server without trashing it. Very long story short; the nic (network card) on the problem pc was 1 revision off the other 99 and required a buffer setting to be enabled in the network configuration for it to work...

I know it's frustrating... Hang in there!

...Dennis

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 11, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
in windows xp, the fact that you only have 1gb ram
Im not complaining above...but since the main machine I use for general forums/email is an old win 98 gaming machine..P3 850 motherboard only takes 500 meg ram and runs a stripped XP ... and video card an old 64meg any lag etc shows up quite dramatically.

Yes TC is a little slow, but not slow enough to be of great issue even on this 12 + yr old machine, and not worth the effort to move to the 3 P4 2+ gig ram big video cards beside this one. (I have/work with 4 machines at my work station at the same time)
Yes what does slow it is the adverts
Yes an old or slow machine (crap running in the background. needs an 'oil change' ) will definately show what does slow pages down....but at the end of the day old obsolete under powered machine is not slow enough loading TC to complain about.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 11, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I'm running Windows 7, 3.4gig processor, 12gig memory,,, all on a 20M/sec cable modem.

some of the ads from intellitxt.com (?) have been so slow recently, it's taken up to 20 seconds for a page to load in the forums, and it's mostly text.

it's getting worse.

Blown 69 RS Camaro

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode