Asking a simple question - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 11, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Asking a simple question

I joined this site years ago to offer my 2 cents worth to help people I thought I could help. If I didn't know I kept my mouth shut. I recently asked a question about one of my 69 SS cars that I bought from the original owner and was blasted and ridiculed for not posting pictures that had NOTHING to do with my question. Why do these people do that? I NEVER got an answer and my post was ended. I used to like to help people but now if you offer help 3 or 4 people will pick you response to death and make you wish you had never offered to help to start with. This post will probably be pulled because it is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Asking a simple question

I would have just posted a pic of the tag and called it a day, because a picture of the tag has everything to do with the question you asked.
But don't sweat it. You can still help those if you feel you could help or lend a hand.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 03:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Theres always a minority in every group that tend to be a bit moronic, but I've found TC to be very helpful, and while Ive still got a lot to learn about all things Camaro and do give my 2 cents when I try and help someone who has a question, I do get some stupid responses. So don't be disheartened. I think this is a great site especially for someone like me who really knows f...all.
Chers

What's a mid life crisis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 SS

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 05:03 AM
Kevin

cama, I feel for you. I too try to stay out of the 'frenzy' that sometimes happens on all boards and stick to what I know and can help with. Team Camaro has very little of that on here (just check out import forums or late model racer ones for examples! ) But being that this is public forum and we are all humans here (well mostly ) there will be skeptics and nay-sayers here too. Best to ignore them and stick with the cool heads that prevail here.

That being said, if you car does have a factory mistake, having pics of the tag and stamp will help prove or disprove your theory. There are a lot of passionate people on this board that really look at the details in pics and without them, they cannot offer an opinion.

I read through your posts and while I cannot offer any help, I can say that people were messing with 1st gen Camaros the minute they were bought, so unless you were the original owner, you really do not know what happened to the car prior to your ownership.

So when you have time (and I know about not having any!), take close up clear pics of the tag, vin, engine/trans/rear stamps and casting numbers. And the chalk mark behind the rear seat. Even if you do not use them for a post, you should have them to document the car for future owners.

If you do want to try again, just create a new post with the pics in the first post and I am sure you will get some answers.

Luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 07:40 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

While there are some guys here that really know their numbers there are also some that only know what they're told or read.
Pics are worth a thousand words and there were "factory mistakes" or "dealer swaps" back in the day that have been found...don't take it personal, for some just want the correct info.

I don't get hung up on the numbers deal and try to stay away from the debates to some extent but like to learn from those that do know what they're talking about.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 08:07 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

69cama - I understand how you might feel bashed, bloody and bruised over the tag post, but I'm sure you have been on the other side of the fence - as we all have time to time - needing empirical proof on any host of subjects here on TC or any of the other many Camaro forums. As an educator you must understand the primal forces at work here. If you ask for advice from the community you have to be prepared to show everything warts and all.

I did follow the post but did not add to it as I was also waiting for a picture to clear the air and to push the thread forward. If it had been me in your position based on what your first few posts were in the thread, I would have posted the cowl tag and pics of the partial vins to prove that the X55 X66 situation you seem to have was valid. Still that being said, it might not have quelled all disbelievers due to the sheer number of fake, swapped, altered tags we have all seen with our own eyes, but at that point you would have satisfied the masses reading the thread that we all understood where you were coming from.

I think many folks reading the thread were in that camp, and when you failed to do so the thread morphed into a real attack on your credibility, not on the possibility of a tag mis-stamp. DJD as administrator ended the thread more like shooting a wounded animal, then really attacking you, but his point was very valid, in all past cases when push came to shove, parties presenting magic beans always fold the tent in the middle of the night and push on. If you had posted the requested picture regardless of your feelings that it was off track or pointless, I'm more then sure you would have gotten an acceptable answer to your original question - could a factory tag have been mis-stammped?

I think everyone is willing to believe that situation is possible, but not too probable, but acceptable with some chain of custody, solid authenticated paper trail proof of existence. And again I think you have that trail already in place from the first few posts of the thread, so I'm not too sure why you did not show and tell what you had. More importantly you wouldn't feel as bashed as you do, and would be ready to help others here again.

Time heals the wounds no one can see. Hope this helps you find some peace with the TC community.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 09:11 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cama View Post
I joined this site years ago to offer my 2 cents worth to help people I thought I could help. If I didn't know I kept my mouth shut. I recently asked a question about one of my 69 SS cars that I bought from the original owner and was blasted and ridiculed for not posting pictures that had NOTHING to do with my question. Why do these people do that? I NEVER got an answer and my post was ended. I used to like to help people but now if you offer help 3 or 4 people will pick you response to death and make you wish you had never offered to help to start with. This post will probably be pulled because it is true.
You are getting the exact same type of replies here as you did in your original post. That should tell you something! You asked;

Quote:
Have any of you seen an X55 stamp on an X66 car before.
Nobody answered yes, so maybe that implies "NO"! Think about it, the only reason you are upset about this is because folks wanted to get to the truth. Yes, thats right, the problem is there are 2 ways this could go, the first calls into question you, your knowledge and your honesty, the other validates everything you claim. You brought it up and kept flaming the fire with defensive posts full of excuses why you didn't have time to snap a picture or two and post them. It was getting ridiculous and was taking on the flavor of the many troll posts claiming things they can't prove. It was wasting everyones time because you kept replying pulling new readers into the thread with the same replies "show us some pictures!" so I closed the thread.

You are now rehashing it by attacking the same folks that in an effort to help you get to the truth asked a very simple request. Nobody posted replies to be a smartass or a know-it-all! Nobody said "NO, haven't seen a mis-stamped X code" but if they would have it would have been followed with "Show us a picture"! The bottom line is if someone had seen exactly what you described before they would have said so! In that vane everyone answered you with an implied "NO".

Without a couple pictures you might as well have said you spent the night in the grotto at the Playboy Mansion with this years centerfolds!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 09:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Asking a simple question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
... you might as well have said you spent the night in the grotto at the Playboy Mansion with this years centerfolds!
OK - that I NEED to see pictures of

Oh, and as for the 'mistamp' - I also stayed out of it, but ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
robert

centerfold picture VS tag picture ? MY vote is centerfold forget about the tag.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 10:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post

Oh, and as for the 'mistamp' - I also stayed out of it, but ...
X2, I also watched the thread but did not get into the fray. I think the first "he is not going to post pics because its not true" reply was a bit premature but kind of set the tone for the rest of the thread, not to mention the "tags" discussions can get pretty heated as there are some people that are VERY passionate about that topic. TC is a great place for all of us Camaro lovers and if it wasn't here I would have given up on my car/dream years ago. Don't get put off by that one thread dude...

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 11, 12:12 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpantera View Post
I think the first "he is not going to post pics because its not true" reply was a bit premature but kind of set the tone for the rest of the thread,
That was 17 posts into the thread and after 2 additional posts from the OP, one basically saying thanks for nothing before someone said they doubted there would be pictures posted.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 11, 10:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I believe we have all had similar situations happen to each of us at some time! The majority of TC members will be only too pleased to answer ones questions and offer helpful advice and uncover each of our dilemas.

One thing I have learned here is that if I don't want to hear the answer I do not ask the question! When it comes to cowl tags one had better be prepared to take the bad with the good! This is a huge area of contention and one area that is assured to draw attention when questions are submitted with regard to authenticity or mistamps. This is to be expected and we have knowledgable members that will provide the answers in this area.

One will get their answer here at TC rest assured but it may not be what they want to hear.
(In this case one needs to be prepared and avoid taking it personally which can be extremely difficult at times).

In this particular case TC members simply requested a picture to provide a proper answer to the question without any malice involved. Having the proper information available is key if one really wants an answer to the questioned they pose? A Picture would resolve and stop the speculation and provide the answer to the question that was asked.

There are valid reasons for the questions asked by members to provide legitimate "answers" to questions that have been posted in the forums by other members. One cannot expect to have their questions finalized if they are unable to provide the necessary information required! Letís not blame the TC members for their support in uncovering each of our concerns and getting to the answers whether it is what we want or don't want to hear in any particular case.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 11, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremie

I too watched your thread and read it after every new post. I never chimed in at all because I have zero trim tag knowlage. However, why not just post the pic? I mean who really cares if its a factory mistake or a misunderstaning. Its your car, you love it and what I or anyone else thinks after you post the picture is not going to change how much the car means to you. I do think that if you want help, you should be willing to give the information needed to help.

Help us help You!!! Show us the trim tag!!!

69 327/332hp Le Mans Blue

71 C-10
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 11, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

There are two forums here that you need to put on your flame suit before you ever post anything. (hell I wear one just to read in these) Off topic And Tag Team.

I'm in the camp that it doesn't matter what pictures I post on the internet, perhaps you are not. I think you should send the pictures to Kurt or William from The CRG site and they can advise from comparing to their data base.

Jeff
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 11, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
There are two forums here that you need to put on your flame suit before you ever post anything. (hell I wear one just to read in these) Off topic And Tag Team.

I'm in the camp that it doesn't matter what pictures I post on the internet, perhaps you are not. I think you should send the pictures to Kurt or William from The CRG site and they can advise from comparing to their data base.

Jeff
Posting a picture of the original X55 cowl tag will prove absolutely nothing. I have the original window sticker and the VIN matches on everything. I bought the car from my fathers best friend and my father is the only person who ever worked on this car. I paid twice what it was worth when I bought it because I knew it was the real deal. I don't post pics of anything of mine. It starts a chain reaction and before its over someone will ask for a video of my dads friend buying the car back in 69. Like I said before, I NEVER got an answer to my most simple question. I'm done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode