I'm not sure of about this change? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage
I'm not sure of about this change?

First off let me say team camaro is a great site for the camaro gang and has been a huge help for me personally before I stated the restoration and since. My concern is the change! Maybe I missed something but never knew of some the very apparent changes just made today. Found out when I checked to see if there were any answers to a query made yesterday evening and it stated it was moved and thought maybe it was in restoration now but it was no where under Generation One Camaro's. Not even under Gen 1? Where is it I wondered and finally went back to "body shop" and hit on it and it showed projects. OK, where is projects and found it's way down under a category named all generations. I'm just asking in a polite way how a restoration falls into a category of projects under all generations. I consider a project maybe a resto-mod or pro-street car but not a restoration. My concern might be personal but can't help but wonder how many will be offering assistance in an area so far removed from the meat of first generation Camaro's.
Hopefully I'm wrong but this is not a pleasant change.
Submitted with due respect,

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 03:43 PM
Team Member
Jim

Re: I'm not sure of about this change?

I like the new arrangement.

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
'68 Mustang GT/CS - Pretty Pony"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 03:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

They did this on the Pro-Touring site a while back. People will get used to it. I like the fact that there are more forums to break everything into to! However, the build/project forum will probably get bigger? The body shop forum will become smaller? My build/project is still in Pro Touring. Will we be able to decide which forum our build goes in? Or is a build a build?!?!
It will all work out in the end!

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 04:21 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hi Chick - I will try to explain what's happened. The tech forums were never intended for long running follow along with the progress threads but when folks started posting them we didn't have a forum to put them in. The previous owner introduced blogs for just that purpose but for what ever reason the blogs went over like a lead balloon! Funny how outside of our forums blogs are used extensively to chronologically track everything under the sun but it didn't go over here.

Now here's why we created a "Build Projects" forum; Your "project" (don't try to tell me it is a restoration not a project...) your project thread was in the body shop forum. What are you going to do when you start on the drive train? what are you going to do when you start on the interior? Do you really want the story of your car in at least 3 places? By having it in "Build Projects" it can be all together.

That leads me to the next bit, you are using the build thread of your car to ask for help in some of the issues you have run across. In a thread as long running as yours you are limiting tech replies to folks that have followed along from day one or have taken the time to read the entire thread. Your last inquiry or question was about screws or rivits on a gas cap, The title of your thread is '68 Z restoration or something like that. When you posted moving the thread back to the top of the page all anyone knows is 68 Z restoration, that's not giving you any help from the rest of the site with the gas cap and screws.

You also seem bothered that your thread is no longer in the first gen area, and is with pro-touring or pro-street restoration or builds projects. Not sure what to say here but maybe it's time to expand your horizons (no disrespect intended), take a look at other project threads and as cool as your restoration is, it has a lot in common with all the others and you should be proud to be in the same forum with them.

Hope that makes sense,

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post

Now here's why we created a "Build Projects" forum; Your "project" (don't try to tell me it is a restoration not a project...) your project thread was in the body shop forum. What are you going to do when you start on the drive train? what are you going to do when you start on the interior? Do you really want the story of your car in at least 3 places? By having it in "Build Projects" it can be all together.
Dennis, I personally see what you're trying to accomplish with the addition
of the "Build Projects" forum and feel it is a good thing. The tricky part is
when someone (myself included) has a "build thread" going but runs into a
specific area looking for help, posting that question in a specific forum,
without giving the back ground of the build, can lead to confusing anyone
that might reply. I think this is why some of the members have asked to
be allowed to move their build thread as it progress's through the many stages.
When I am asking for help in a specific area, I try to post a
new thread pertaining to that area only and follow up my question with a
reference to my build thread. That seems to work for me any way. On the
other hand, I've seen a number of different threads from the same poster
with out a build thread going. That makes it very difficult to understand the
cars back ground causing very few, and in some cases, no replies. Too many
threads have become personal diaries (soap opera like) and I stopped
following them. Like Rob said, it will all work out in the end. Feel free to move
my build thread to the new "Build Projects" forum.
Al

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Thanks Dennis for taking the time to explain but let me clearly state I love resto-mods and pro-street cars and in fact many resto-mods bring more money than restored cars. My point right or wrong (and apparently wrong) was I did not consider the car a project in the same vain as a resto mod and that had nothing to do with taking away with what they do. If our car was not so original, I'd be doing mods to that rascal. I'm just going to go with the flow and see how it goes and if I have to ask questions in other specific areas I will and just keep the build to just that, a build.
thanks again Dennis and now I know why I like ya

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 05:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hey Al - Something that might help is to quote one or more posts from your build thread and cut and paste the quotes into your tech question thread. Then use the little red square with the arrow to link others back to the build thread. It isn't too hard to do if you open 2 browser windows.

I know there is no perfect answer for everyone but this has to be better than having follow along build threads scattered all over the site. I think the moderators will be moving any they come across as they visit the site, we are not going on a hunt so it will be a slow going transition.

I really want to stress that a tech question asked on page 13 of a thread is only going to get a few eyes on it before page 14 comes along. Compared to a fresh thread with a topic specific title posted asking the same question which will be read by hundreds before it drops off the page.

Chick - I may have mis-read your initial post a bit, I'm looking forward to following more of your "project" lol... Restoration, build, project, are all relative. I can't see calling someone out for doing a pro-touring car and calling it a restoration. And project is the most universal because restoring a car can be broken down into 100 individual projects. It's all good!

...Dennis

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Hey Al - Something that might help is to quote one or more posts from your build thread and cut and paste the quotes into your tech question thread. Then use the little red square with the arrow to link others back to the build thread. It isn't too hard to do if you open 2 browser windows.
Thanks Dennis. I'll give that a try.
Al
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 07:32 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
The tech forums were never intended for long running follow along with the progress threads but when folks started posting them we didn't have a forum to put them in.

The previous owner introduced blogs for just that purpose but for what ever reason the blogs went over like a lead balloon! Funny how outside of our forums blogs are used extensively to chronologically track everything under the sun but it didn't go over here.
DjD - just my 2 cents here - Maybe the former owner was too soon with blogs - too much on the cutting edge of social media technology back when they were introduced here, that it seemed to most guys that posted here at the time like it was on the bleeding edge of technology with too steep a learning curve to use.

To be honest I never looked at the blog tools here even though I knew I had one associated with my membership until tonight reading this thread. I have always used blogger for those functions. But I like the concept of the project thread change as a whole and agree it was getting strange out there with many posts hitting the over 50 something page milestone but the latest entries were about riding around last weekend with the dog riding shotgun, or what show they attended but the thread is titled something such as "69 electrical question", or "Best replacement body panels?".

One of my favorite quotes is "Change is the only Constant in the universe" Maybe for the next few weeks if possible the moderators could tell the folks who's threads are being reloacted a few days in advance of said relocation's by PM so the move doesn't cause un-necessary anxiety for them. But then again another quote I like is "Beer heals the wounds no one can see"

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Digging the concept of the ROTM, but not entirely sure an oil change is all that motivating or enticing. Anyone here not doing their own oil changes on their cars? Maybe it just means they'll pay for quarts and filter??

I do like the concept and re-org though.... As someone else commented, if folks don't like the changes, they will adapt eventually.

Last edited by ZaCamaro69; Aug 19th, 11 at 08:32 PM. Reason: I hate typos
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 08:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

It was a long time ago when I learned this but I think it takes humans about 4 weeks to finally accept change and get comfortable with their new surroundings and routines.

Takes mice like 10 days or so. I think I read that in the book titled 'Who Moved My Cheese' or something like that.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 11, 08:32 PM
Mark

Change isn't too bad. But.....I feel that if you are going to have a build project section....then ALL of the build projects need to be there. If we want to look at build projects why should we have to go cruising through pro street....resto mod....convertibles....what have you. Put all the builds in 1 place.

Mark

Mark

I came into this world with nothing....I still have most of it left......
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 11, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Can't find nothing but I see the categorization - Guess Ill get use to it ;o)

I believe you should not post ROTM because TC, in my mind, has always considered Members as Camaro Enthusiasts without Provocation.

"What's it Worth" is just fine & confines what will otherwise have a Nasty Advertizing Overture - If you understand what I'm getting at.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Aug 20th, 11 at 09:25 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

On another note... how about a WTB (want to buy) instead of posting in the classifieds? Too late?
I agree with the build comment above. Does make it easier. Once they're done then maybe they can go to the pro-street, pro-touring, etc.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 11, 09:00 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
On another note... how about a WTB (want to buy) instead of posting in the classifieds? Too late?
I agree with the build comment above. Does make it easier. Once they're done then maybe they can go to the pro-street, pro-touring, etc.
We already have a WTB area in the classifieds section of the site. https://www.camaros.net/classifieds/index.php?cat=19

The classified forum was put in place to stop folks from posting ads in the rest of the tech forums. Not attacking anyone by this but human nature is a funny thing, a lot of folks don't want anything to do with anything outside of the forums. In the long run it's their loss, Al proved over and over the classified section on this site gets far more traffic than the forums. You would think that would matter to anyone selling something.

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode