Glossary? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jim

Glossary?

I think it would be great if there was (and maybe there is) a glossary somewhere on this site where a person could look up the meaning of camaro / chevy / gm / car slang and acronyms. For instance when I first came here it took me a while to figure out what "shark gills" were. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has come here and wondered what language the people around here speak.

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
'68 Mustang GT/CS - Pretty Pony"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 03:33 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Glossary???

Well there isn't a full bodied glossary per say.

There is mechanically this listing which is hard to find..https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...t_is/index.htm

But the phrases like "Shark Gills" are just part and parcel of the First Gen Culture. You just have to sit back and read the forum a few years before you really think you know what is what but then again asking doesn't hurt if you don't understand a term used in a thread you are active in. For the most part we don't bite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 04:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Glossary???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Well there isn't a full bodied glossary per say.

There is mechanically this listing which is hard to find..https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...t_is/index.htm
The moderators and I use to have access to areas like this on the site but when the site changed hands the place was locked down and any changes or updates to the pages here have to be done by corporate employees. Problem with that is they have 400 sites to tend to. It took me a couple years to get the forums restructured and a few forums added and there are still some changes promised that we are waiting on.

For now there is no shame in asking if you don't know! Jim - maybe think up a list and post it in Bench Racing, ask folks to define the slang terms and acronyms.

Too often people hear something like "Camel Hump" or "Double Hump" and you'll hear them later saying "Double Camel", "Double Bump" or "Camel Bump". A glossery of terms would be cool but it will have to be a thread in the forums. My fear is the info would get lost in the debate over the correct name and definition. In the past "in the know" members have tried to educate others when they mis-speak only to have their heads bit off by others for being so litteral.

It's worth a try and if you get enough replys then we can make a sticky and lock it with compiled data.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Glossary?

Oh Oh Oh, Me Me Me! I wanna do “Engine”!

The word Engine is taken from the term "Heat Engine" which is used to describe a device that converts Thermo Chemical Energy or Heat Energy into Mechanical Work. Hence you can say that Jet Turbines, Steam Power and Internal Combustion devices are in fact "Engines".

Whereas...

The word "Motor" was shortened from the original term "Electric Motor" which is used to describe devices that convert "Electrical Energy" into "Mechanical Work". Hence you can say that Drills, Winches, Saws and some newer Electric Cars have "Motors".

Ron
The “

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 05:19 PM
Guess

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 06:32 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

What's a matta Joe, you waiting for someone to bring up they got new "rims for their car" instead of "wheels?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 02:59 AM
Guess

LOL!
No.... 'tulip panel'

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 03:20 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Is this glossary going to contain fubar and snafu? I'm still trying to figure those 2 out.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 06:22 AM
Retired
Jim

Dont expect to learn how to understand the term 'wife'

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
This manual should help:

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 10:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I thought it stood for Wash, Iron & Fixes Everything

Of course the "Fixes Everything" can be altered

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 10:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: Glossary?

I'll handle tools

We'll start with the most important shop basic, the BFH - 'Ford' tool - Floggin' Iron - Swing Press ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode