Keeping too clean of a house? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 12, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Keeping too clean of a house?

I check here often to do some reading... Sometimes don't see much. Seems we file away posts very quickly- cant help but wonder if members are missing topics sometimes before full commentary is complete. My opinion is that we could allow a few more days for most posts that are generating activity. What do people think?

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 12, 08:52 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Re: Keeping too clean of a house?

Brian Im not sure what you mean. The posts dont go anywhere , after a while they just work thier way off the page as new ones come up

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 12, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Ok- I assumed they get swept off by someone rather than simply expiring. If that is the case it feels like perhaps less people are actively participating in the discussions and propelling the threads forward compared to a few years ago.

1969 Camaro 383
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Camaro Guy View Post
I check here often to do some reading... Sometimes don't see much. Seems we file away posts very quickly- cant help but wonder if members are missing topics sometimes before full commentary is complete. My opinion is that we could allow a few more days for most posts that are generating activity. What do people think?
Users can go into the individual forums and execute a search going back a year or more. Most of the forums are set (automatically, I suppose) to go back for a whole month as it is.

Click on a certain forum and scroll down the left side of the page and you will see the search functions I'm talking about.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 04:54 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Ok- I assumed they get swept off by someone rather than simply expiring. If that is the case it feels like perhaps less people are actively participating in the discussions and propelling the threads forward compared to a few years ago.
It could also be that more threads are started moving the existing down the list faster.

Many threads are looking for help with an issue. Once the solution is posted no reason for others to respond and keep it active.

Actually it seem to me activity on TC has increased. Used to be I would ask a question and days would pass without a response. Now despises come fairly fast.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech
thefley

I thought there was an issue with forum and was losing posts after I joined. Come to find out there is a setting under your control panel that you can fix to see post older than a few days. Check with a moderator they can assist you where and what it is.

First Gen Camaro Connections on Facebook

Last edited by thefley; Nov 24th, 12 at 03:50 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 07:48 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

yep go to your section like "Site discussion" or "Bench racing" and scroll to the bottom to the "Display options box" and just lengthen it out cuz I think its set for 1 month now.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 08:07 AM
Guess

The first pic shows the thread Display Options at the bottom of each sections main list of threads...
The second pic shows what's in your User CP (control Panel) under Edit Options listed along the left. In the settings in your Control Panel, you can set how many threads are shown on each page, and the default aged cut-off for those threads.

Nothing gets removed or cleaned up. At least nothing that is of value and contains a question with good answers. Once in a while a SPAM post or a duplicate post gets deleted, but that's it. Threads are kept forever and ever.

Now, searching for a specific thread, or doing a general search on a topic is a gamble at best. The search function on this site leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least. A topic may show up in a search with one term, but change the term just slightly and you'll get a whole other ball of wax. Makes finding threads\posts quite difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	displayoptions.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	31042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Options.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	31043  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 08:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The default is thread cutoff is set different in each forum. At one time it was set to display 3 days worth of threads in each. A random check I found one set to current day, one at 3 days and one at a week! I have no control over this but will ask to get them all set to 10 days.

We each have 2 ways to change this, one is how Jerry explains; at the bottom of each forum there is a "Display Options" area and you can make a temporary change there for the forum you are in. The other way is you can go into your "UserCP" and scroll down the left side to "Edit Options" under "Settings and Options". Then scroll to "Default Display Options" and find the "Default Thread Age Cut Off" and set the amount of days you want to see every time you visit... Be sure to scroll to the bottom and click on "Save Changes"!

Keep in mind the site dynamic changes all the time and as much as everyone wants to help it also gets old answering the same questions over and over. Going way back folks did this a lot, after a while we went through the "do a search" phase where folks just got tired of the same old questions. This has happened on all the forum boards to some degree. I think guys also kind of figured it out an now there is a lot of help coming from research of past threads as well as folks asking questions... Also there was a time when the forums were their busiest but it was all just small talk, nothing really to do with Camaros and that has also tapered off. Other observations I have made is there are fewer members jumping in on the thread if the answer is already stated, it use to be 27 replies and 20 of them were saying the exact same thing... As well there are fewer arguments over answers than ever before!

There is one other observation that I have and that is the "Project Threads" that can run 16 - 20 pages at times end up containing a lot of tech material and as cool as the project threads are the tech info gets lost in them because of the shear size of the thread....

All of this is ever changing and can impact how busy the forums look and often makes it seem slower at times when it probably isn't.

Oh! don't forget the 2 searches; "Todays Posts" and "New Posts" they make the time you spend accessing the forums here shorter even though you are getting the same amount of info as if you went from forum to forum...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks all... Had a feeling that something was different, whether the site itself or my own personal settings but this has evolved into a good understanding of how the forum works and how our personal settings influence our interactions. I will certainly be updating my settings to show a bit more of the posts.

I've done a lot of searches for questions, though I've posted quite a few on top of that. The thing I've always enjoyed is that even for a worn out question there is always someone that enjoys talking about it again. I think that's out of a sense of satisfaction in helping someone else out- and certainly a commendable reason to be here. So cheers to the question answer-ers. I can think of a core group of about 20 or 30 folks that really take up the cause. Thanks!

1969 Camaro 383
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 12, 08:14 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Quote:
The thing I've always enjoyed is that even for a worn out question there is always someone that enjoys talking about it again.
Oh we have been known to do that and there are a few that just wont die, right Joe ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode