Site Going down the Drain - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Site Going down the Drain

Why is it that this site runs political propaganda ads on its non-registered side? I found this running on the site before I signed in.
http://www.backyardliberty.com/vsl/?...paign=BL_144_3
Whats is happening to a once great site.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 12:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: Site Going down the Drain

When I joined 13 years ago it was run by a dedicated family of Camaro addicts, so alot of that stuff was controlled and not allowed. The internet was fairly young at the time and advertising wasn't as much of a big deal as it is now I think. These days running a website seems to be a big chore and takes up alot of time and man hours and it takes money to keep things going. This site in itself has gotten pretty big and I'm thinking is run by a rather large group of some sort now and they compensate by getting sponsers, just like TV and radio does. Look at cable, when it first started people would/were paying just to not see all the commercials on regular broadcast TV. Heck I paid, I hate commercials, but it is all back to the way it use to be and your paying for it where you weren't before when it was free TV.

Just my 2 cents worth. Actually, it's probably more like a dollar and a half now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Gary I certainly see your point, but when ppl have paid a membership.. income to the owners, and basically the only benefit would be no or reduced adverts....and there vare adverts or excessive... thats comes down to milking the paid up members.
Quote:
These days running a website seems to be a big chore and takes up alot of time and man hours and it takes money to keep things going
This site does take a lot of manhours to run, and it has been and is run by volunteer Admin and moderator team (note the rescent resignation of our long term admin thu).
This team has been and is the core of the site and 99.9% of the cost/ manhours.
As to the hardware/ servers, maintenance...well server upgrade every few years, professional server maintance... if the techies are doing what they are paid to do, then its not much more than checking logs , making sure backups are done etc.
I know this because I run web sites and own servers... thu on a smaller scale.

Side note as to TV ads... I dont know how things work in the USA , but here we have what is called mysky...and we record everything that we watch on TV and then watch at our convience with fast forward 30x speed thru any adverts... the only exception is football games/ sports, and these here only have ads in the game breaks....or in between motor races.....We get your NASCAR without ads... live.

Right now above this post as I type I have a ad ... A local NZ ad, for give up smoking targeted at the indigenous Maori population of NZ....and often get dating ads , thu most are remotely related to veciles...all NZ related... but these 2 are like the non smoking as , dating ad above, unrelated, Im married and dont smoke...vechile ads that are not remotely related to anything we have or do.
So thu I see your piont, as far as this site goes, have to go along with Rogers comments.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 03:17 PM
Guess

There are ads because we don't run the site anymore, and have not run it for a number of years now. It is owned by a conglomerate that owns hundreds of automotive sites... and they do whatever they want.

Sorry to say it, but it's true.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 05:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I'm not saying anything off hand here just saying what I THINK is happening since the beginning. Heck, where I sit this website is the slowest of all the sites I go on. I like it here, always lots to read and study, but I get a lot of white screens and partial TC screens and back to white screens with code written on them and finally the page I clicked on. Not sure what's causing all that to happen. I'm thinking way too many ads but I really don't know. Something else too, when I get on the free classifieds it takes forever for a page to load. I can click to go to the next page, take a bathroom break, make a sandwich and get a cold drink and finally the pages is loaded up. To read an ad from clicking on it to clicking on the next one takes at least 3 to 5 minutes. I found myself falling a sleep one night I was so tired of waiting for the next ad to load up. The CRG website, I use to not spend a lot of time there, but it seems like I am there more and more because it is instantaneous when I click on something. Weird. Deleting cookies, refreshing this or that, resetting browser, makes no difference. It doesn't change anything. I don't think the site is going down hill. It's slow for me, so I paid to become a lifetime member and not to see all the ads and see if it would change the speed of the pages loading and it didn't. I'm ok with that.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

I use firefox, and adblockplus.
Zero ads.

I think Google is the new great satan, but it works...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 08:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

No ads for me either, site always runs very fast even when I'm on my Android phone.

I've noticed there isn't as much activity here as there was a few years ago. Or perhaps I'm getting old.

Maybe it's time to start a mass exodus from here to another Camaro site that is owned and operated by a real Camaro enthusiast, like this place used to be?

Renting space for a small site like this from a hosting company is very cheap, no ads or membership fees are even necessary to keep it online.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 08:49 PM
Guess

Everyone has heard all of your concerns and complaints ever since AutoForums took over. Believe me, the concerns and complaints are not new and they're 100% legitimate.
The name of the game these days is maximizing return. The way to do that on the internet is advertising.

The site owners are not in business for the love of the hobby at all. I doubt they'd know valve seat pressure from a filler neck.
The administration (member administration) has tried our best to keep what Al built as close to his vision as possible. I guarantee you, from all of our hearts, that we've done our best.

All I can say it try to take the bad with the greater good. AdBlock+ works like a dream.
http://adblockplus.org
I can't stress it enough that if there is something about the way the site runs that you don't like, please bring it to the MEMBER administrations attention and we'll do what we can. But please remember, it's been a number of years since the site "went corporate" so change isn't something we can just flip a switch to make happen.

I want to thank the members that stick around (and have stuck around for years) because they are the backbone of TEAM CAMARO.
They remind me of my days in the military... the members are the meat of TEAM CAMARO, the members that contribute without regard for themselves are the NCO's that run things. Without NCO's,. you've got nothing.

Last edited by HwyStarJoe; Apr 26th, 13 at 09:02 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 09:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I'm using IE 8. I tried using Firefox but couldn't figure out how I wanted to set it up? Quite a few people say it isn't that hard, but I always seem to get something hosed up. I have the adblock exe file in my documents and tried installing it once before but can't figure some things out about it. It's me, gear headed, not computer headed.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 09:12 PM
Guess

I'd be glad to help you set up AdBlock+ Gary
And anyone else for that matter.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

All you have to do is see my join date there are not many older than mine. I am still here and like the site but it has gone down the drain over the last few years. It still will not stop me from coming here though. There are number of people that left and come back now and again and some have left to never return. Others have their own Camaro sites and I give them an "A" for effort but the sites basically suck pretty bad and have no membership. The biggest thing was all the bad mouthing TC at those sites and reciprocation here about those sites. It got old and in my opinion drove away some core members or regulars. Some are just perverted azzholes anf thankfully will never return.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 10:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Amen brother, and X2.

Back in the 90's to about 2000 I was a member of a few Pontiac websites. I owned a 69 Judge and 2 68 Firebird 400 cars when I first bought my 69 Z in 2000. I gotta tell ya, those people all wore blinders, and if they found out you owned a chevy you were shunned. I couldn't stand the coldness, had to put on my winter coat before I logged in. It's a bit different here. Most here like all GM products. Some of the Pontiac people I have met are truely hard core one brand only. I couldn't say one way or another if TC is going down hill. I get in these moods where if I get tired of things here I just take a break for a while and not log in, just lurk and read when I feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
All you have to do is see my join date there are not many older than mine. I am still here and like the site but it has gone down the drain over the last few years. It still will not stop me from coming here though. There are number of people that left and come back now and again and some have left to never return. Others have their own Camaro sites and I give them an "A" for effort but the sites basically suck pretty bad and have no membership. The biggest thing was all the bad mouthing TC at those sites and reciprocation here about those sites. It got old and in my opinion drove away some core members or regulars. Some are just perverted azzholes anf thankfully will never return.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 10:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Hey Joe, I might take you up on that. I think the first time I tried adblock I was having problems with downloads or something like that. If your restricting ads on a site doesn't the site not work properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 13, 01:36 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
x2 Joe .....I recently switched from IE8 to Firefox and quite honestly have noticed much difference.....still having some issues. With AdBlock, will the pages load faster ? I'm a bit hesitant to try much new gadgetry as my 'puter is gettin' old and not sure it's even capable....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 13, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor's Nemesis View Post
No ads for me either, site always runs very fast even when I'm on my Android phone.

I've noticed there isn't as much activity here as there was a few years ago. Or perhaps I'm getting old.

Maybe it's time to start a mass exodus from here to another Camaro site that is owned and operated by a real Camaro enthusiast, like this place used to be?

Renting space for a small site like this from a hosting company is very cheap, no ads or membership fees are even necessary to keep it online.
There is another site that I used to chime in on...I think it's a Canadian site, but I could be wrong on this.

It seems a well run, orderly site with much of the same programs/forums that are found on this site...but much smaller in makeup. Not sure who runs it, but I did know one of the originators who lived in the West. This might have changed.

Click on "camaro.ca" and take a look.

capt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode