Clean up classified ads? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 13, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Clean up classified ads?

Has there been any discussion or effort to thin out the classified ads a bit? It seems like lots of folks don't cancel their old items so stuff stays on there for a couple of years. Maybe ads could be active for 60-90 days and then drop off unless the seller renews? Just a thought. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 13, 08:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: Clean up classified ads?

I've sent emails to lots of those ads that are way old this past year and I always get 'oh that part is long gone'. From what I can tell it's the posters responsibility to dump the ad once the parts are sold but no one ever follows thru. I second the 30 to 90 day ad deal. Plus with all those old ads, and as many of them as there are, it takes forever for them to even load. I've even fallen asleep in my chair late at night waiting for ads to load when I use IE8...Firefox is a little faster only because the ads at the front of the pages load faster than they do in IE8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 13, 06:21 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=241410

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 09:20 AM
Administrator
John Doe

Garage

There is already an option when placing an ad to how long you want the ad to run through 15-90 days, we have to check to test if this code is actually working. In regards of sold items, it should be the users responsibility to make the ad 'Sold It' and the system keeps the add for 2 days after listed sold before it is deleted.

Regards,

MD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

I think you should make the post expire regardless if anything is selected or not. Orphaned classifieds make that section of the site pretty worthless.

After 90 days force the poster to at least acknowledge they want to extend it for another 90 days. Simple email and link that says 'click here to repost ad'.

Just my 2 cents....

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 04:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
I think you should make the post expire regardless if anything is selected or not. Orphaned classifieds make that section of the site pretty worthless.

After 90 days force the poster to at least acknowledge they want to extend it for another 90 days. Simple email and link that says 'click here to repost ad'.

Just my 2 cents....
I second that!!!!!!!!!!

1969 Camaro RS Hugger Orange - Work in Progress - You see rust, I see restoration!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 05:42 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post

Just my 2 cents....
As the Admin explained and I explained in the other thread about the same subject; the ads in the Classified Area away from the forums do expire or are supposed to...

If you are referring to the forum classifieds; well that's another story, can't make a post or thread automatically delete. The best that can be asked for is the seller come back and post that the item is sold...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
we have to check to test if this code is actually working
Simply go into the data base with something like Phpmyadim and check the tables see if the entries have had the time limit put in....if not thats where the issue is.
less than 3 mins to do that.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode