New ISP Banned? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

New ISP Banned?

We recently switched ISP during a house move, and now I cannot access the forum on any device at home (I'm on my work PC right now), I just get a vBulletin message stating "Sorry. The Administrator has banned your ISP."
I just want to understand why my new ISP is banned. I am with the largest Telecommunications company in Australia - Telstra, which uses the domain '@bigpond.com'. It is a reputable company, and I can't figure out why the site Admins would have banned it from site/forum access?

Now, bear with me - I have tried clicking on the 'contact Admin' link to ask why I'm banned. I get to type in my issue, but when I submit it, I get taken to a page that says something like "Your message has not been submitted yet, please check below for common FAQ's". At the end of the FAQs I can choose either 1) yes, this answered my query, or 2) no I still need help, but when I click option 2 and 'submit', bingo! I get returned to the the same vBulletin message page that tells me my ISP is banned......... Help! What can I do to be able to access my beloved site at home?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 06:07 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: New ISP Banned?

Tim - It is more likely that particular your home ip address has been banned for spam in the past.
Are you on a DSL or CABLE based system connection? Do you have a static address or a DHCP one?

If static we will need to know the address to unblock it, if DHCP based all you have to do is reset your router to get a new address from the pool and hopefully that one wont be banned as well

I'm going to assume its a DHCP based one since they charge extra for static and some systems will not let non corporate users have static address. Try resetting your modem and see if that clears your block.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I am not a moderator here but the admins have expressed concern with or T-1 provider that they are experiencing a lot of weird issues from users (dropped posts, double posts attempts at editing resulting in deletion and general bad performance). I didn't see that info here so I assume it was only sent to mods, but I feel you might want to know that this issue has nothing so much to do with you as a possible hardware glitch. Of course you may have been banned, and Homeland Security troops are on their way on the next Quantus flight out of LA to arrest you and seize all of the computers it can find because you accidentally tripped some flag some where. I don't know. But I feel the hardware glitch is probably the more reasonable explanation.

The good news is if Homeland Security is on it's way you can do a lot while you wait for them as it was a 27 hour flight last time I took the "express" (aka non-stop flight) to Sydney. I do NOT recommend the non-stop flight!

Tahiti is a lovely country. Stop by there and admire all of the lovely ladies wearing their red and white dresses around the air port terminal for seven hours (don't they own any other color dye in Tahiti besides red?)

Big Dave

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 06:37 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

LOL nice one Big Dave. Yes the system had a meltdown last night resulting in several issues across all the communities here at AutoGuide, but for us the primary issue was all threads with attached images here on our servers were broken, and links to photobucket hosted images were also toast.

I looked at the black list and several address are Aussie, a few from New Zealand, and of course most of China, India, Pakistan, and it could have been on any of the hundreds of Autoguide sites as we share the same white and black list of spammers. You account is in good standing otherwise Tim you wouldn't have been able to login even from work under your user name. So it is the current IP you are using at home. So it should be easy to fix.

Brian

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Tim - It is more likely that particular your home ip address has been banned for spam in the past.
Are you on a DSL or CABLE based system connection? Do you have a static address or a DHCP one?
Brian, I don't see how it could be my home IP address as we only moved 1 week ago and joined a new ISP; unless you're suggesting we are currently assigned a particular dynamic IP address that was blocked because of somethinbg that a previous assignee did, and resetting the modem gateway will change that and assign a new and different IP that may not be blocked?
We are on ADSL2 and I believe it is a dynamic address, but I will check what it is is and let you know - OK if I PM you direct on this?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 07:41 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
unless you're suggesting we are currently assigned a particular dynamic IP address that was blocked because of something that a previous assignee did, and resetting the modem gateway will change that and assign a new and different IP that may not be blocked?
Exactly

Quote:
We are on ADSL2 and I believe it is a dynamic address, but I will check what it is is and let you know - OK if I PM you direct on this?
Absolutely

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 16, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks, I appreciate your help!
I'll try resetting the modem after work this evening - if it fixes the issue, all good, otherwise I'll PM you with the IP address.
AG Jeff likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 03:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Had a similar problem on another forum when using my cell phone. Their server said there was nothing wrong on their end, the forum administrator said their was nothing wrong on theirs. It was obviously blacklisted IP's as no one with the same provider could get on. I used hidemyass.com which reroutes your IP until they moved to a new server.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 11:36 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate your help!
I'll try resetting the modem after work this evening - if it fixes the issue, all good, otherwise I'll PM you with the IP address.
Very good. Let me know either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Had a similar problem on another forum when using my cell phone. Their server said there was nothing wrong on their end, the forum administrator said their was nothing wrong on theirs. It was obviously blacklisted IP's as no one with the same provider could get on. I used hidemyass.com which reroutes your IP until they moved to a new server.
We see this all the time when monitoring and shutting down ports based on copyright takedown requests. You buy your service from xyz cellular, but they subnet lease their service from ITG, down air uses Verizon fiber and along the way it travels through thousands of routers and one of them has a cached and stale blacklist that says 123.456.789.000 is banned as a spammer deny access save us some resources. So unless someone monitors your traffic all the way home and notes where it is getting the banned IP kick, you have to change your device settings or home IP. And also flush all cached content and cookies and start fresh.

Hopefully the issue for Tim will be resolved with a flip of the switch so to speak. Its 3 am there now So I hope it is done.
AG Jeff likes this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Brian unfortunately that didn't work. I turned the modem off and on again several times, on each reboot I tried the site and got the same banned IP address message. Same deal this morning. I'll PM you the ip.
Glad I can still get access via work iPhone and pc.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Brian unfortunately that didn't work. I turned the modem off and on again several times, on each reboot I tried the site and got the same banned IP address message. Same deal this morning. I'll PM you the ip.
Glad I can still get access via work iPhone and pc.

Try accessing through a proxy. Worked for me on another site.
https://hide.me/en/proxy

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 16, 09:16 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

We figured out that the entire domain is banned by autoguide, from one of the other vehicle sites that manage. admins are working on lifting the ban. It will be fixed shortly.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 16, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks for pursuing this Brian. Is it common for an entire domain name to be banned?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 16, 05:41 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

We do it when we discover a commercial marketing company flooding us with spam. The problem is that companies come and go all the time and the subnet range of address like phone numbers get recycled and assigned again to new domains or as I suspect in your case, after expansion to an established domain but the original block of addresses are still on a blacklist.

I keep a list of the subnets we have asked to be blocked, but your range is not among them nor is the single ip address you gave me in the list of ip addresses attached to members here, banned or not but I can only see Team Camaro and not the entire autoguide member database. So moderators on another autoguide site must have banned all 256 addresses in that range at some time for some reason. This is why we rarely ban large blocks, or whole countries as there are hundreds of autoguide sites, and millions of members effected by our actions here.

Can you pm me the most recent ip address your home isp issued after reboot?

Brian

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 1st, 16, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Brian it looks like the ban has been lifted, as I'm back with full access! Thank you very much for your support and follow up, that has been great

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode