Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 17, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
John Doe

Garage
Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working

Hello,

Photobucket.com has recently changed its terms of service for free users on their platform. As of June 20 images hosted by Photobucket and shared on our forum, or any other third party sites, will no longer appear. As a result, you may notice a higher amount of broken images on the forum.

If you do not have access to edit your older posts please contact an Administrator or Moderator for assistance. Please provide the new URL for the image that needs to be edited and a link to the thread the image in located in.

More information on the change and what it means for Photobucket users can be found below.

Photobucket Terms of Use http://photobucket.com/terms

Thank you

Community Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: Announcement - Photobucket images no longer working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
If you do not have access to edit your older posts please contact an Administrator or Moderator for assistance. Please provide the new URL for the image that needs to be edited and a link to the thread the image in located in.
Good god, that's going to keep the moderators busy. There are thousands of images that have been wiped out. Probably tens of thousands. Hope you guys get "paid" overtime...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 07:14 AM
John

Garage

Photobucket says they have 15 Billion images.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 11:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

For those who are still active members and have provided hosted pictures to augment their thread comments, you have a couple of options:

First, you could help keep this site alive and kicking by upgrading to a Gold Lifetime Membership for a small one-time fee... that will give you some different forum options plus the ability to upload a fair amount of reasonably sized pix that will never go away as long as the site is active.

Second, you could look into an alternative image hosting site. I've been looking around and IMGUR might be a viable option. It is a bigger site than PhotoBucket and the people running it have made it clear it will always be free. They have some serious financial backing, and I think the "Album" option might be useable but I haven't tried it beyond the test picture shown below. IMGUR is a public site, so expect everyone and anyone to be checking out your pictures. For that reason, I wouldn't use IMGUR with the public option for family stuff that you want kept private. Google Photos is free, but it seems pretty complicated as a useable hosting site. I'm still researching that.

NOTE: the above image is 640 X 395 pixels.

A much bigger issue is editing all the images that were appearing in thousands of posts. Most automotive forums do allow editing forever by the actual member/poster so pictures and comments can be updated. Maybe the mods should think about allowing people to "fix" older threads, if not forever, then maybe give folks a 6 month window?
350sshugger likes this.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
John Doe

Garage

We're hoping we can develop a mass fix for this. Who know if it's possible, but we're going to try at least. As for opening up the edit window, if enough users think it's a good idea, we could bring it up with the mod team. As long as it's not abused, should be fine

Kevin
KJProX and 350sshugger like this.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Myself I had about 200 images in my build thread. I would re-upload them all to what I'm going to use( Flickr) and edit all the links over a couple of weeks period if I were allowed to edit my own thread.

I wouldn't be interested in redoing the random pics I've posted in other threads, there were only a few of them anyways.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 02:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I have played around with Microsoft F12 Developer tools. I right click on the blocked Photobucket image on my build thread. I can cut out the Photobucket link and replace it with a Flickr link. Now the Flickr photo appears in my build thread.

The problem is that I cannot write and save the modified script to Camaros.net. When I close the session, and reopen Team Camaro, the photobucket image is back were I previously replaced it with the Flickr photo.

If I had permission to save the modified script, I could do the work myself.

Patrick
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 02:31 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJProX View Post
Myself I had about 200 images in my build thread. I would re-upload them all to what I'm going to use( Flickr) and edit all the links over a couple of weeks period if I were allowed to edit my own thread.

I wouldn't be interested in redoing the random pics I've posted in other threads, there were only a few of them anyways.
Kevin when you are ready I will work with you to edit your threads.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Brian...

Just curious, I did a thread about converting from a stock steering wheel to the MOMO, including updating the horn/directional cam. If I were to resize all the original images to 800 X 600 could i space the pictures out in the thread so that there's picture-specific comments in-between the pictures, or will the pix just appear as a group of thumbnails under all the copy?

Thx-Mike

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 06:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
I have played around with Microsoft F12 Developer tools. I right click on the blocked Photobucket image on my build thread. I can cut out the Photobucket link and replace it with a Flickr link. Now the Flickr photo appears in my build thread.

The problem is that I cannot write and save the modified script to Camaros.net. When I close the session, and reopen Team Camaro, the photobucket image is back were I previously replaced it with the Flickr photo.

If I had permission to save the modified script, I could do the work myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I'm in the same boat as Kevin and Patrick. I'm more than willing to update my picture links but I wouldn't want to put that burden on one of the moderators to do. That would be a big undertaking. I'm sure many of the guys with build threads feel the same way.

My Build Thread

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 17, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I'm really not sure how I could do this with you, because it would take me a bit to figure out what each photo was and what goes where. And it looks like I had 177 photo's in my Camaro album on Photobucket.

Just checked and looks like some of my own photo's that they blocked to me in my account are not anymore so that would help.

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 17, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJProX View Post
I'm really not sure how I could do this with you, because it would take me a bit to figure out what each photo was and what goes where. And it looks like I had 177 photo's in my Camaro album on Photobucket.

Just checked and looks like some of my own photo's that they blocked to me in my account are not anymore so that would help.
I think Brian means once the thread/post is reset to allow editing, the URL containing the picture details will be in the HTML format. If you named your images like... "interior-01.jpg" and so on... it'll be visible and you should find the corresponding named file on your hard drive or mobile device. If you didn't use some sort of naming/numbering approach, you've got more work ahead.

I see a lot of resizing in my future lol 😂

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 17, 12:31 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Brian...

Just curious, I did a thread about converting from a stock steering wheel to the MOMO, including updating the horn/directional cam. If I were to resize all the original images to 800 X 600 could i space the pictures out in the thread so that there's picture-specific comments in-between the pictures, or will the pix just appear as a group of thumbnails under all the copy?

Thx-Mike
Mike - if you upload the photos to your photo album or gallery here at TC then use image tags in your posts to that location you can still have comments in between. Otherwise you would get a group of thumbnails if you upload to a post.I have all the rotm winners or most of them at least in my gallery so I can create the winners notices and it works just fine.

Brian
57vette likes this.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 17, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
I think Brian means once the thread/post is reset to allow editing, the URL containing the picture details will be in the HTML format. If you named your images like... "interior-01.jpg" and so on... it'll be visible and you should find the corresponding named file on your hard drive or mobile device. If you didn't use some sort of naming/numbering approach, you've got more work ahead.

I see a lot of resizing in my future lol 😂
Ok I see and no I didn't name them, there just under a image number.

If I can edit my posts in my thread then I think I can figure it out over a couple of weeks editing.

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 17, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
We're hoping we can develop a mass fix for this. Who know if it's possible, but we're going to try at least. As for opening up the edit window, if enough users think it's a good idea, we could bring it up with the mod team. As long as it's not abused, should be fine

Kevin

I think your only hope is to pay PB a ransom to unblock
any photos posted here on TC. I don't see how they are
getting away with this as there are some very large
players being effected such as Amazon. There will
most likely be some legal battles come out of this.
Hgger69 likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode