Access to website - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 03, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm having problems access the site all of a sudden........

Apparently my Norton Firewall and Anti-virus dont like this website anymore.....

As far as i know, nothing has changed on my computer, but over the last 2 weeks, I've had a real hard time access the site. It loads way, way slow, if at all.... I get alot of cant find page/server stuff....

If I turn off my firewall it works...

Did something on the server end change because I didnt consciously change anything on my computer ????

Any help would be apprciated...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 03, 09:17 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

I received this info and it appears to be a problem with some auto update function of Norton.

--------------------
I think I found the problem. Its Norton Internet Security. When I disabled it, no more problems. Under options, the " Information About visited sites" was set to "Block". The fix is to add "chevelles.com" to the Defaults and change " Information About visited sites" to "Permit" for chevelles.com only. I don't know if some "Live update" patch caused the problem or what. My knowledge of this stuff is minimal at best. Please pass this along to the others.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 03, 09:32 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Adding this info: perhaps the level is too high as the forum software uses cookies to remember your login name:

Norton Internet Security 2001 3.0

Document ID:2003061716541136
Last Modified:09/22/2003

How NIS and NPF handle cookies

Situation:
This document describes the Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) features that handle cookies (the files that Web sites place on your hard disk).

Solution:
Many Web sites store information they collect in cookies that they place on your hard drive. When you return to a site that placed a cookie on your computer, the Web server opens and reads the cookie. Sites use the cookies to personalize Web pages, remember choices that you made at the site, and deliver optimized pages for your computer. Sites can also use cookies to track your Internet usage and browsing habits, usually to tailor advertisements to you.

NIS and NPF provide the following options for handling cookies:

Handling alerts: When you see an alert that indicates that a Web site is attempting to place a cookie on the hard disk, use the options on the alert window to permit or prevent this action. For more information on this subject, read the section "Cookie alerts" in this document.

Displaying alerts: You may configure NIS or NPF to display an alert every time that a Web site attempts to place a cookie on the hard disk, or only sometimes. For more information on this subject, read the sections "Blocking Cookies" and "How to change the Cookie Blocking settings" in this document.
Blocking all cookies: If you want to prevent all cookies from being placed on your hard disk, read the sections "Blocking Cookies" and "How to change the Cookie Blocking settings" in this document.

Blocking or permitting cookies from specific Web sites: You may prevent specific Web sites from placing cookies on your hard disk by configuring the specific Web site on the Web Content tab under Options in NIS or NPF. For more information on this subject, read the sections in your user manual that refer to the options "Information about your browser" and "Information about visited sites."

Blocking confidential information in cookies: Occasionally, cookies may include confidential information. If you want to prevent that information from being accessed by a Web site, use the Privacy settings to specify the confidential information that you want blocked. For more information on this subject, read the sections in your user manual that refer to Privacy Control. The options in the Privacy Control feature apply to all confidential information that is sent from your computer, regardless of whether that information is sent from a cookie or from other sources.

Cookie alerts
A Cookie Alert screen indicates that a Web site has attempted to place a file on your hard disk.

If you choose Permit, the Web site saves the cookie to your hard disk. When you next visit that same Web site, the site reads that information. Most cookies are harmless. In some cases, however, you may want to block cookies to prevent the collection of information about your Internet usage, or filter cookies to prevent Web sites from accessing confidential information.

If you choose Block, the cookie is not placed on the hard disk.

When you see the alert, choose one of the following:
To block this cookie this time, select "Block."
To block this cookie every time that you visit this Web site, select "Block" and "Always use this action." Selecting these options creates a rule so that you do not see another cookie alert later for this Web site. If you do not select "Always use this action," a cookie alert screen will appear each time that you try to access this Web site.
To permit this cookie this time, select "Permit."
To permit this cookie every time you visit this Web site, select "Permit" and "Always use this action." Selecting these options creates a rule so that you do not later see another cookie alert for this Web site. If you do not select "Always use this action," a cookie alert screen will appear every time that you try to access this Web site.

Blocking cookies
Use the Cookie Blocking setting to instruct NIS or NPF on whether you want a cookie alert screen to appear each time that a Web site attempts to place a cookie on your hard disk, and to configure NIS or NPF for blocking or permitting cookies.

NIS and NPF have three Cookie Blocking options, which are accessible in the Customized Privacy Control options:
None: Allow cookies (recommended): Allows cookies without any alerts. This is the default setting. When you use this option, you do not see a cookie alert screen each time that a Web site places a cookie on your hard drive.
Medium: Prompt me each time: Alerts you each time that a cookie is encountered. You choose whether to permit the cookie.
High: Block cookies:This option blocks all cookies. Note the exceptions in the section "How to block all cookies."

How to block all cookies
Though you can set a specific security level for cookie blocking for each user, you can also set exceptions to that security level in the Web Content tab that is accessible from Options on the main NIS or NPF window.

How you configure these two settings determines whether you block all cookies, some cookies, or none:
If you want to block all cookies from being placed on your computer, regardless of your NIS or NPF settings or the user, the browser must be reconfigured. See the document, Norton Internet Security allows Web sites to place cookies, for instructions on preventing cookies from being placed on your computer. Note that if you block cookies, you may not be able to access some Web sites that require a cookie.
If you want to block all cookies except for those Web sites that have an exception in the NIS or NPF Web Content settings, use the High setting for Cookie Blocking.
If you want to block all cookies for a specific NIS user, use the High setting for Cookie Blocking for the user that you specify and ensure that there are no exceptions in the NIS or NPF Web Content settings for specific Web sites.

How to change the Cookie Blocking settings:
Open Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall.
In the left column, click Status & Settings.
Check the "Settings for" option and select the appropriate user.
Click Privacy Control, and then click Configure.
Click Custom Level.
Change the Cookie Blocking options to the desired setting.
Click OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode