How come there are e-bay adds in the classifieds? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

If I wanted to buy parts or cars from e-bay I would be looking there. Or have it in the title That it is a e-bay add.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 10:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Tough subject!! TC does request that "ebay" be placed in the title when you place an ad and will remove the ones that don't honor the request. The fact that there are some without having ebay in the title is because it's hard for Al to get to every ad placed. If you could provide ad numbers or links that would be a big timesaver for Al...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Add # 28410.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech

Why don't you just add a line of code to the submission page's database insert script that appends the word "eBay" to the front of the ad caption if the word "eBay" is found in the body of the ad? Too time consuming to do it manually.

Larry
69 Pace Car Festival #24
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 05:50 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Ebay ads are allowed but we do ask that they put EBAY in the title. I edited the ad that you listed, thanks. It just seems most people don't take the time to read instructions, any instructions and simply jump right in.

I don't have the skills to modify a script in the manner you mention. One problem is quite a few ads do mention ebay - but in the context of 'if I don't sell it here by friday it's going on Ebay'.

We did drop all the ebay ads at one time but most of the guys who used the classifieds wanted 'one stop' shopping and liked having the ads listed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech

I'm a website developer and DBA by trade. If you have access to the script I am willing to help you modify it. Your right, you can't catch all of them but most eBay ads probably include a URL, which has "www.ebay.com", which would allow you to catch most of them. If you ever need help on anything just contact me.

Larry
69 Pace Car Festival #24
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 12:39 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Cool offer Larry, only because it's a pet pieve with me, I can tell you most ebay ads in our classifides don't have a link to the auction. They usually have the auction number and that's it...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 03:55 AM
Senior Tech

Depending on the type of scripting language used for this website, you can also modify the code to look for numeric strings. For example, we know that eBay item numbers are ten digits and are curently in the 2400000000+ range. So, you could use a VAL function to look for and return the number string then do a compare to see if it falls within the current range of eBay item numbers. This could be used in conjunction with a search for www.ebay.com. It's possible to code for several different things that would identify eBay ads but this may be more complicated than it's worth.

Larry
69 Pace Car Festival #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode