Opinions wanted...Would you pay? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 04, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

A guy has a set of American TTD wheels for sale on this site. Advertised as fitting a 68 Z28 with 4 piston calipers. I email and ask if they have spacers. He says no. He emails me pics of the wheels. Not all of the wheels, only rear I believe. Look good in pics. I buy them. He ships to me. Open first one up. Someone has taken a grinder to the spokes for clearance. I call him. Tell him I wouldn't run these wheels on a go cart. He says send them back. He will refund my money. I pay 105 to ship them back. He refuses to refund my shipping. Would you pay 105 to see a set of junk wheels? Buyer beware? Don't trust anyone to tell the truth? Ask everyone you buy from if someone has done a hack job on the parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 04, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dano

In essence, the person that sold you the rims lied to make money...I quit buying on ebay (unless it's under 50 bucks) just because of that reason. Swap meets are an excellent way to get a fair deal, and even then it may not work right when you get it home and try it out! i personally can't afford to buy everything brand new GM all the time, so it's difficult when you save for something and get the old shaft job! Obviously the guy should have stated that there was some "modifications" done to the rim(s)...
better luck next time!

Dano [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

If you can't see the bright side of life, try polishing the dull side...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 04, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

No one else has an opinion? I am surprised at that.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 02:49 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

TDW you already said it...buyer beware! Unfortunately there are people who will not volunteer information unless asked. The guy should have disclosed that the wheels were tweaked for brake clearance. Just another part of the problem with buying used parts sight unseen.

Consider this a lesson well learned...at least you got most of your investment back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech

Depends on your paper trail.

If you asked the right questions and he mislead you, you can get all your money back plus treble damages.

There is no being cute in court. He may feel that technically he told you the truth. Technically they fit. "Technically" is something for the criminal courts. In civil court, things are a little more, hmmm, er, loose? If you asked if they fit and he said yes, but they were hacked, the judge will decide that you took the effort to gain specific knowledge of the condition. He, on the other hand did not offer specific knowledge and with held info. You win. (Well, I shouldn't say that. No one knows the future.)

The question is, how far do you want to go? Do you want to drag him in to small claims court? Might be better to go out with your wife for mexi and maragritas tonight and forget it. (The hangover may be worse.)

It's too bad the principled are the losers in these deals but at least you have your integrity.

...and that is something that counts.

Rick

1969 Camaro, Endura bumper w/RS added, 350, M21 - Red
2000 Camaro SS 6-Speed convertible - Red
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 06:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Tony - I moved this here since I know Al usually checks in here first. Al has been known to ban a seller from the site if the evidense shows more than just a mis-communication. You can contact him at [email protected]

From what you've provided I agree the seller should have disclosed the mod done to the wheels. I think it was cool he took them back when you were not happy with them though. Just what did the seller refund you? Just for the wheels or was the orig shipping re-paid too?

Was there any stated return policy or any agreement between the two of you before the deal went down?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

Dennis...How about I foward all the emails to you. I think you will understand my position then. I just don't feel I should have to pay to look at a set of wheels that have clearly been modified....Tony
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 08:14 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Tony - you are welcome to send my what you have but I have no control over the Classifides. that's all Al's. Send them to him and copy me.. [email protected]

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

Dennis...you have mail
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 04, 11:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Garage
TDW

Been there done that. I now get additional pics from anything that is of value to me before I buy it or place a bid on ebay or other auction type sites.

I just asked a seller for additional pics of a shifter and they told me no other images are available. That solved that.

What I find just as troublesome is the packing and shipping of fragile parts. It seems once the seller has your money and the item is no longer thiers it is box it tape it and send it out the door.

I have always bought/paid the insurace but the two times I tried to get satisfaction for a broken item I was told that the person buying the insurace is the person in charge of the claim. Well both times I recieved nothing but the broken parts. Both sellers seemed to be nice and friendly until they had to do thier part to help the person that sent them money.

Sorry about your misfourtune I would let it go and hope the next deal is better.

A little venting here but I thought the info would be helpfull.

8 Ball

8 Ball Racing
Member #120
1969 X77 9 E 69 302 M21 Wallace Chevrolet

1969 RSSS rag top 7 E 69 350 turbo 350

1969 Triple Blue 10 D 68

1968 Chevelle 03 A 68
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 04, 08:36 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

It's most unfortunate to be out the shipping charges, but he did refund the money so there isn't much that can be done.
It was my understanding that he paid the first shipping charges?

ps, I have flagged his information should anything further come up that is questionable.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 04, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

Al...He did refund the price of the wheels and the shipping that he paid last nite. He also had to eat the 20 or so pay pal charge. I will call him today and explain my thoughts. I have been in business for over 30 years. I would not send someone a part that had obvious damage. If he did not see the grinding, he can surley see it now that it has been pointed out to him. If I did send out a bad part, not knowing when I sent it it was bad, I would not hesitate to give a full refund plus pay all shipping charges when it was pointed out to me. I guess there are not too many guys like me left. I would not hurt my reputation over a few dollars. I will let you know what he says....Thanks for your time and the site...Tony
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 04, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

Follow up...I called the seller. Stated I did not feel like I should have to pay 105 to see a set of damaged wheels. He said I wasn't buying a new part. I agreed, but also wasn't informed they were hacked up. To make a long story short, He agreed to refund 50 bucks. That is better than nothing. Thanks...Tony
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 04, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

Good ending...Seller has refunded all my money. That was decent of him to do.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 04, 06:32 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

I'm surprised at this ending. I figured the very best would be a 50/50.
I've removed him from the watch list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode