New Scam on Team Camaro Classifieds - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Here is one that someone tried to pull on me this week. I posted an ad on the TC Classifieds looking for a rosewood wheel. During this time, I was also negotiating with a seller from eBay on a wheel that he has. Then I get this private email the other day from an email address [email protected] asking if I want to buy his MINT Rosewood Wheel for 200.00? (yea right)

First of all, the price raises flags as anyone with a rosewood knows they are worth 4 times that. So anyways, to humor the guy, I email them back saying hell yea i'm interested, why don't you send me 12 pictures showing closeups of the wheel in natural sunlight. The guy emails me back saying I don't have a camera but here are a couple old pictures i have of the wheel.

Well you know the way eBay watermarks all their images on the lower right corner, this guy emailed me two of them showing a 1969 wheel wrapped and pictured on a blanket, and then the second one showing it mounted in a 68 car with 68 interior. Two things were noticed with this, one was that the 68 wheel was the deep spoke, and the second picture was from the eBay auction that I was currently negotiating a private sale with the true owner of the wheel.

I emailed the guy back informing him that his email address and attempted fraud was reported to the appropraite authorities and that they would track him down through his email address and ISP service provider.

If you are posting want ads on the TC Sites, be careful of who you are dealing with and make sure they have a known reputation for selling or a matching eBay account they can show as proof of who they are. If you are not sure, ask them to settle on a price and list it on eBay with a buy it now. This way you know who they are and have some recourse with feedback etc.

Hope this helps someone from getting burned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech

Dude, here I thought you were really going to fall for that one......
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 09:09 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Maybe Al should put the Scam checker links on the wanteds page. Graeme please add that e-mail addy to the www.scamchecker.com database if it isn't already there...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode