Apple Devices Choke on loading - Hate this site format and Ads - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Apple Devices Choke on loading - Hate this site format and Ads

Even logged in, the main pages and treads take for ever to open while the Ads load.
My MAC reloads the pages as they use excessive memory. The Treads open more at the bottom of the page rather than at the first post.
As the Ads load, the thread jumps around as if it is trying to force you to read all of the Ads first. If you try to scroll to the top, it either locks up or dumps you all of the way to the bottom post.
I have had to force close the Forum due to it locking up the memory with the excessive ads.
This site is almost to the point of being un-usable for anything other than Advertisements.

Ron
69Z28, 68rs406, Johnny B and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

re: Apple Devices Choke on loading - Hate this site format and Ads

This morning i didnt think the site was going to open on the ipad. It did eventually but it was stuck on an ad that was playing and repeating. I stopped trying and did what i could to shut down everything running in the background and it still choked for a minute or two. Sooner or later it will be out of the ipads reach.
1968RallySport likes this.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Adblock Plus makes a huge improvement. I run it on my iPad too.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 05:50 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Supporting members get less ads, and you can always use Firefox with AdBlockPlus and noscript add-ins on a Windows based PC or Tablet and never see a single ad.
Not sure if the iOS version of Firefox has add-ins, but I assume yes.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Try the classic format....
dhutton and Smitty68 like this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Supporting members get less ads,

Brian

Supporting Members should get NO ads. I hope that those who run/own TC are cognizant of the fact that if TC allows itself to be flooded with ads some may request a refund of their membership fee and leave. I will add that I use the classic format and have not had too many problems with the ads so maybe that is an interim solution. Constant overdosing the customer with commercials and ads are helping kill cable and dish TV. Now we pay the cable/dish companies to watch the seemingly endless commercials. Remember when the big selling point for cable TV was NO commercials since you were paying for the broadcast signal. At some point, it could be time to just "put 'er down".
Legacy 69 and Niblet like this.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 07:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Make all the excuses you want, if a new member is having all these problems they will not stay around. Sure, becoming a supporting member would solve a lot of his problems but how is a new member going to evaluate the site if he/she can't see it.

This last two or three weeks have seen a lot a problems for paying members. The site is getting harder to navigate around even in the classic format.

Roger
69Z28 and 1968RallySport like this.

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 18, 08:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Supporting members get less ads, and you can always use Firefox with AdBlockPlus and noscript add-ins on a Windows based PC or Tablet and never see a single ad.
Not sure if the iOS version of Firefox has add-ins, but I assume yes.

Brian

Been using W7, Firefox for a few years now, and as you stated (never see a single ad). "HAVE HAD" zero issues until a few months ago. I have seen some issues getting cleaned up the past day, to name one, the notification of likes, as of today, indicate as being read, looked at, cleared out, whatever...this may be due to your comment on looking in the 'mini-status' in user profile. You can at least access them there. Adblock Plus is great. I have zero ads show here on T.C. as a paid member.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 02:41 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah the vast majority of folks here and on the other sites migrated to the cloud are having few to zero issues with their browsing experience, which is the way it should be. There are always going to be a few people who have a few issues when technology is involved. You just hope their stall isn't in the travel lane.

Around the internet corner early fall late winter when All the browsers stop supporting unpatched security risks such as flash, java, WindowsXP anything lower than iOS11 and other unsupported systems it will get hairy fast for a lot of folks who generally have resisted change. Google's browser rollout release has already stopped supporting many of these platforms, and will stop allowing you to visit non SSL aka secured sites that use http. Sites not employing higher security have already started being de-valued in their search results, and the new merged AOL/Yahoo is following suit.

While most in the industry feel that is a good thing for the end users security and protection, as all your traffic will then be secure between your browser and the server, many feel it is just a way to generate revenue since the server site owner will have to buy very expensive security certificates for every domain, and sub domain they own. And renew these on a regular basis which for most sites will be hundreds of thousands of dollars. So that cost of doing business will need to be passed on in some way, either higher prices or selling more revenue generating ads.

And just to say it here folks, the weakest link in anyone's browsing experience is the wi-fi they are on these days. IMHO if you want to keep your stuff safe and private you should never connect to any wi-fi other than the one you run in your own house, and on that one disable the SSID, change the password every 30 days to a 26 digit mixed key and don't let any of your smart devices in the house connect to it. Makes the world we live in impractical. NEVER connect to a public wifi and NEVER pay to connect to one in your hotel thinking that will make you safer. The majority of people will be okay, but there is always the real possibility that someone also paid the five bucks to join your hotel wifi network just to sniff your laptop for your amazon card number. DON'T DO IT. You pay for a data plan on your phone. Tether your phone to your laptop USING a USB cable not bluetooth or wifi. If you have a cell based "hockey puck" you travel with like a MIFI you should disable the wifi connection side of it and tether by USB as well. Faster for you and no chance someone is going to connect and get into your stuff looking for birth dates, card numbers etc.

We live in a so called service economy these days where ads are the product not the content. You have ways to avoid them, ducking here and going that way and this, but somewhere down the line you have to say if you keep taking back streets and ally-ways at the end of the trip having missed the spectacle of life around you can you say you enjoyed the ride?

Just saying.
Brian

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I dont know if i resist change as much as i resist ads. Sometimes i wonder how advertizing can be effective with most people(i think) trying to avoid them. I dont think im that abnormal but i would guess that i resond to less than 1% of the ads i see which makes me wonder if this ad based economy is a farce or another bubble waiting to collapse. I dont care whats painted on a nascar car or who the race is named after but maybe im the weirdo.........could be true in any case.....

Anyway, here i have this ipad air2 and what a few years ago was a pretty hot cad machine running win7pro64. The ipad goes nowhere else. The cad machine is not wifi capable. I am on fios with what i think is their latest router setup. What do i need to change? Before Fios i was running barracuda routers which seemed pretty good.

I think the ipad is doomed which doesnt bother me. Currently this site is the worst i encounter with regard to bogging it down sometimes. Yesterday it stuck on a repeating banner ad. Today its not a problem.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 04:53 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

My old desktop with Windows10 and updated McAfee runs fine. As a paying member the adds a few and easy to avoid if they pop up. I do see lots of problems with my iPhone 6 plus. There I get tons of adds and it is just about useless to try and navigate this site with it. Maybe since I first registered and joined as a member with the Windows10 desktop it makes a difference. I used to be able to use the iPhone more last year, but now I rarely even try. Maybe it's iPhone/iPad/Mac mobile devices that have the problem.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I am using windows 7 and the classic version. I have no problem with adds, however the last several days the site would just freeze and I had to exit. then I would be typing and all of a sudden it would just disappear
seems ok this morning
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 06:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

I've had no issues on my lap top, desk top or Ipad.

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 08:15 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The magic of the situation is that some but not all of the blocking agents and methods, in their activity count as a read or a click so the person paying for the advertising gets charged for your non view. The site owners collect money and you didn't see the ad. Win Win Win in my book.

Brian

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 18, 08:45 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I have opened a ticket with admin reporting that multiple Apple devices - MAC's, iPads, iPhones using iOS are un-usable. It is possible that the site code now only conforms to Apple current supported iOS versions which is 11x. You should have been forced by now to load iOS11. If not load it and see if it makes a difference and let me know.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode