Quick Reply Glitch - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 05, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quick Reply Glitch

I've noticed a problem, twice now, while typing a reply in the quick reply box. After typing about 20 words I hit the backspace key to edit a typo. The box turned grey and displayed the default message string. My message dissappeared. But I was able to hit the quick reply button again and finish my reply without a problem.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 05, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Quick Reply Glitch

I see no one has touched this so let me just say once again how much of a pain the quick reply is. I'm gonna need a new keyboard soon cause I'm about to take a hammer to it the next time quick-reply wipes out my post.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 05, 07:04 PM
Retired
Jim

Dave I tried to recreate your problem but it worked ok for me, backspacing didnt do any bad things for me, wonder if your keyboard is on the way out? I had one that was full of crud and hair and seasame seeds etc, it messed alot of my typing up till I turned it over, took it apart and cleaned it all out. Just an idea but in this message Ive backspaced on purpose many times with no errors. weird glitch to say the least.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 05, 07:33 PM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

In browsers, the backspace key can take you back to the previous page but of course it shouldn't when typing in a text box. couldn't duplicate it either.

If it's driving you nuts try clicking the little arrow on the top right of the Quick Reply box and collapse it so you never see it again and use the
button instead. The editor for the full reply is supposedly a bit smarter.

let us know.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 05, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Turns out it isn't the backspace key at all. I can being typing and have the dialog box reset or I can type some text and sit back and watch it dissapear. It takes about 30 seconds after the box becomes usable and then poof! The keyboard is fine and I did check the timing, set the gap and dwell

I'm on a cable modem connection running Windows XP Home SP2 with IE 6.0.2900 SP2.

I suspect something is late updating the page which causes a shift in focus resulting in the quick reply dialog being reset seconds after it becomes active. I've seen this kind of thing happen on web pages that cause the mouse pointer to change focus after all items on the page have been updated. (Such as with Java Script applications that serve as a front end to a database). Could the focus be shifting to another widget set that a keyboard character activates. Perhaps it is a specific key that I press which selects a widget causing the reset.

Surely I'm not the only person who has seen this. To duplicate it, type some text in the quick reply field soon after to click the "quick reply" button. Then sit back and watch for 30 - 45 seconds to see if the quick reply dialog box resets. I'm opening my forums and topics in a new window. It may be related to nominal network delays so I'm not sure if a test at the datacenter where the webserver resides would show the problem.

Dave
========================
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 05, 03:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've had this more than once, in fact twice today. Not sure what key I'm hitting, they kinda small on this laptop, but the text I typed disappears... if i hit back, it comes back but it's gray, and won't post, period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 05, 03:43 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I can almost recreate what you describe by hitting the tab key and then the backspace key. It's like hitting the back button and when I hit forward my typed text is there but grayed out. Hitting the quick reply clears the box so I can type again but I loose the existing text...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 05, 04:14 PM
Bill

Dave,
I have been using the quick reply almost exclusively on both the Camaro and Chevelle sites and have never had any problems. Tried backspacing several times while typing this and it worked fine. ????

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 05, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult
Turns out it isn't the backspace key at all. <snip>
I guess the problem with trying to be too thorough is that important information gets lost. When I first posted, the backspace seemed to be the magic key, but turns out there is something else going on.

Bill, are you a fast typer like I am? Are you accessing the server through the network? What kind of OS / Browser are you running?

Dave
========================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode