New Classified Ad Scammers. - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 05, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

New Classified Ad Scammers.

I'm curious to know, of those of us that have placed an ad, the ratio of how many legitimate responses you've recieved vs. the obvious or not so obvious responses that are scammers?

Of the 2 ads I placed with pictures, I think I got maybe 1 legit reply and probably 8 or 10 that I think are bogus.

The bogus ones always ask... What is your final asking price, do you have pictures? etc.

The hood I have posted is listed FREE!!! So there is no "final" price. And both ads have pictures, so obviously they didn't even look at the ads.

What I've done to try to weed out the spam/scam machine is I edited my email addy in the ad to look something like this:
joeblow (AT) yeehaw (DOT) com instead of [email protected]

I got that tip from my ISP on minimizing spam.

Brian Hatch

69, 396, 12-Bolt, 4 speed. Restoring as SS clone. Used to be 307, auto, plain jane. Owned since 81.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 05, 01:55 PM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Re: New Classified Ad Scammers.

I would highly suggest NOT entering anything into the Displayed email field, but if you do, Brian's method works pretty good as they will not be able to 'harvest' an email listed that way.
If you do not put anything in the displayed email field only other registered users can contact you.

I need to find a way to clarify that. The displayed field is only there for those who want unregistered buyers to contact them.

Now, if a scammer contacts anyone that way, please send me their username and we can completely block them from the site. They may change IP's and usernames but that will get pretty old for them very fast (as we will toast them) and they will most likely move on.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 05, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: New Classified Ad Scammers.

I was under the impression that was a required field to fill out.
I'll take mine off now.

Thanks for the tip.

Brian

69, 396, 12-Bolt, 4 speed. Restoring as SS clone. Used to be 307, auto, plain jane. Owned since 81.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode