1st Gen Site - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

1st Gen Site

Not sure what happened, but this site, which used to be great hang-out for owners and experts for first gens has changed to include all Camaros. No offense to 3rd and 4th gen owners, but there's very little these cars and car owners have in common with first gen cars and their owners...very little. In fact, I would feel more of connection to a 69 Mustang owner than a 98 Camaro owner. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel this way.

I currently have 3-4 new inquiries posted for first gens in the "Tech" section, and there's either no response or perhaps one respondent. 3-5 years ago, this was the best site for 67-69er's,..with real experts who were willing to help out a fellow first genner.

Even attempting a search is now too cumbersome because I must wade through all the post 1970 stuff, which is becoming the majority.

What happened?

Is there another site exclusive to first gen Camaros?

Please advise,..respectfully,

Wes Puckett
Austin, TX
aka, Straight-Line-69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 04:15 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: 1st Gen Site

This is still the best site for a 67-69. It has changed a bit due to upgrades and it takes a lil'bit to get used to. Maybe it was where your post was or how it was worded ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

This is still for sure the best place for first gen camaro owners. It's also one of few with a lot of regular, knowledgable members who are willing to help out anyone. The front page of this forum has never specified that it's for first-gen cars only, and when someone searches for anything "camaro" this site's near the top of the list, so a lot of people find us. I don't recall any recent posts going unanswered, but I'll for sure take a peek...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

We have alot of members here that run late model engines and electronics in their first gens. We also have members here that own first gens and fourth gens. Fourth gens I think are an excellent modern muscle car and we can all learn something about them here. I welcome the other "camaros" to "Team Camaro".

This place is like a TV set you can skip over what you don't like. Now for your posts with no answers, it just happens that way sometimes. I think since the Hurricane there have not been many people here as they are doing other things and it also a holiday weekend. Aslo as stated above it might be how they are worded.

As an example, I asked a question one time and someone put in I think not many people are responding because they don't want to hurt your feelings. The question was about future values on a 4th gen and what people thought. After I posted that I would not have any hurt feelings and just wanted some opinions, the responces flowed in.............go figure, just a bunch of nice people trying to be nice.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

This is definately the best camaro site around. I have seen questions about all gen camaro's, as well as questions even about Fords and Mopar's. There is a wealth of knowledable, good people here. As stated earlier, just weed through what you don't need and take what you do need, I would still guess that 90% of the interaction here is still related to 1st gens. Too much info is never a bad thing, I only wish I could return a part of the great knowledge I have gained from this site. The best part is it's FREE!! What could be better than that??

'67 Marina Blue Convertible. L30, PG. All numbers match, 41k original miles.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 05, 08:26 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Wes - the others have touched on some valid points, let me add a little to what has been said. Other generation Camaro owners come here because there are not many quality sites where they can get help. I use to visit several 4th gen sites when I had my '96 and there are many with potential. The users that frequent them really drag them down with all the bs, korny talk by folks that have never worked on a car let alone a Camaro in their life. The few guys with some knowledge tend to get lost in the muck... I'd venture to say the same is true with 3rd gen forums, maybe more so as the 3rd gen is the Camaro a 16 yr old can afford... So when you see these 3rd and 4th gen owners posting here cut them some slack. Most of their user names standout telling me they have been on other sites where the young crowd prevail and they just didn't get any real help. In the spirit of wanting to help Camaro people the fact that we are a 1st gen site shouldn't stop us when other generation questions get posted and it has no connection to 1st gen questions not being answered...

As for your questions not being answered maybe nobody has an answer. I wouldn't like not getting an answer but I'd rather not get an answer than get 10 bs replies that don't help in the least. I'm going to pick on you for a second, I'm not putting you down by it, just offering observation that may help throw some light under the hood...

1> Your speedo question doesn't give a lot to go on, you say it's stuck at 65 and say the things you haven't done yet to trouble shoot it. Then you end with making it sound like it's going to be a bother on your part "6 hrs out of my weekend" Like I said, don't take this wrong but people like to help others that are interested and enjoy working on and fixing their cars.

2> Next the regulars get tired of typing or even cutting and pasting answers from topics that have been beat to death. I did a search on "proform" in the performance forum and found 132 threads...

3> In your Holley thread you started out kind of insulting the folks you went to first for help. That sends a message to folks here that will stop most from replying as if you don't like what they post you could insult them too. Just one more and I'll stop picking on you

4> You had a great thread going on your headlight problem and and you just left everyone hanging... Did you fix the headlights? If you don't follow up with folks that too can impact if they want to help when you post other topics.

You won't find a group of folks more willing to help without a lot of bs and you won't find a group with more knowledge... Put the site to better use by using the search engine as well as reading what you post before posting it and making sure what you are asking is understandable and leave the negative snip-its out. Then be sure to followup so folks know the actual outcome of their efforts...

Sorry for picking on you a bit, Like I said, I'm not trying to put you down by it. Your message prompted me to look at your posts and the things I picked on seemed to really stand out.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Thanks to all for your input, but I'll hold to my opinion that this site, in it's current state, pales in comparison to what was served up 4-5 years ago. In efforts to please all, this site will please fewer. This site has been diluted and I'm positive folks with real first-gen knowledge have reduced their involvement.

Djd (Dennis),..thanks, but I disagree that the wording of my inquiries is the reason I'm not receiving responses. If I needed an opinion of what cam to run, I'd have received 30 responses from "experts" who basically want to tout the cam they use. But if I ask a very specific question, about a first gen part, system, or fix, it will often be ignored. "Expertise" suddenly disappears. Again, this was not the case years ago.

In response to your items:

1) "Not much to go on?"...please go back and review my inquiry regarding my speedo prob. Again, my speedo is stuck at 65, and I simply asked, do the needles on original speedo's get stuck?"...and "is there an easy fix"? Pretty simple,..yet, to date (inquiry posted 8/30), I've not received a single response and I contend this would not have happened years ago.

2) You say there are 132 previous "Proform" responses. Agreed,..I did the search. But none touched on the question I have. Again, please review my inquiry,..which basically asks about using the Proform main body on a 800 Holley. Since the Holley 800 has larger secondary venturii than the Proform main body, I simply asked, would there be a difference in flow and power? Again, a request for help has gone unanswered for a couple of days now.

3) My Holley post (secondary butterflies open to 85%),..again, please go back read my inquiry. I'd like to know how I've insulted "the folks I went to for help". I positioned myself as "knowing less about carburetion than the boys at Holley", then asked my question. Please explain how this is insulting to anybody?

4) My headlights,..I still don't have the problem conquered but I'm close,..I'm able to activate the hi-beams with a jumber from the switch,..so I'll post my findings asap. For the record, I did receive some good advice for this problem.

Lastly, review my "wipers, but no washers" in the troubleshooting section. Again, I had received no responses to this inquiry before I solved the prob a day or two later.

But I agree with 67 Convertible,..the price is right (free). But still I contend this site would attract much more first gen expertise and response, if it were a first gen site only.

Simply my opinion,..don't shoot me.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

No shots fired, I understand what your saying. With more people around sometimes I think questions get lost in the shuffle. Sometimes people just might not have an answer. Keep postin, keep trying to solve your problems and keep helping others around here as this is what makes the site go around. If you don't like the other Gens no problems with me about that. Something else also. Some people just move on. I used to post at Team Chevelle alot. I had a 69 SS396 Chevelle until April of this year. I have been around that forum when it was more of a news page format back in 96 or 97. I had my 67 Camaro at the time also. When Team Camaro started up I was over here quickly. Over the years I have grown to more favor the Camaro site and Camaros and moved away from the Chevelle site. I am sure many others have done the same. We also have many people here that post and contribute that don't have First, second,third or fourth gens, they have Chevelles, GTO's or even Mustang's. It's a world in motion as is this site.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 08:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Wes - Sorry you feel so down on the site, you're intitled to your opinion. I took the time and posted what I did because I care not because I want to shoot you down. The site doesn't like to see anyone not get helped but we can't force answers out of folks.

I disagree on attracting more 1st expertise by not allowing other gen owners to use the site. I can only assume since you reference back 4-5 years ago that you lerked alot here before finally posting in Jan of '04. There are several sites that have started up in recent years, the supercar site, pro-touring and lateral-g to name 3 some of the folks that started out here have migrated on to those sites (none of which are generation or camaro specific) I've noticed the up swing of non-1st gen postings and like I said before, they come here because they arn't getting anywhere elsewhere. We certainly don't have any 3rd or 4th gen experts, mostly a member or two that owns a newer daily driver Camaro along with their 1st gens that help from time to time...

You can use google as well as anyone, find another forum or two and see what transpires. I wish you luck finding a better Camaro site with more experience than this one. I still think it's about how you say it more than what you say. You may not have intended this to be insulting to Holley but I read it that way...
Quote:
I'm sure the boys at Holley know a lot about carburetion, but...
I read it as sarcastic like the folks that built the carb couldn't get it right...

Anyway, I'm sorry you are not getting the help you are looking for...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 08:59 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

I'll add some input here. The site started as a Camaro site aimed at 67-69's but open to all, for the reasons mentioned. It's been growing and has become a nice place to visit so we are getting more and more questions about other years.

I agree with the comments that it's getting a bit mixed up and have plans to make some modifications so that, while we won't lose our 1st gen focus, we can provide a spot for tech questions (and easy searches) for other gens. I own a 02 now, so have an interest there as well. I've owned a number of camaros from various 'generations' and feel that we should not chase someone away just because they do not fit a specific year. Many of the issues discussed affect more than one group but you are correct, we need to segregate this information and that will be happening in the next few months.

The move to this new forum software, classifieds and such is allowing us the option to add some of these needed changes. Basically we never had the horsepower and top end to make this happen before.

We welcome input and thought. These feelings you (and others) may have are not being ignored, just delayed as time seems to go by so danged fast.

We will have our parts review section running next week though

Thanks. Things will be cool.
Al
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 09:01 AM
Tech Team

just my 2 cents i think the people on here are EXTREMELY HELPFUL AND KNOWLEGEABLE (to me anyways i am soo bad at playin mechanic) so id like to thank all of you who post on my threads and help me out i get alot flak for being a stoner lol but i am what i am lol
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Djd,..my handle 4-5 years ago was "Sleepy-69" but for some reason at some point, I could no longer log on as "Sleepy-69" and had to change to another name and passcode. Fyi.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It was about a year ago that this site started to be "found" more often by younger guys with newer cars. At that time, I actual expressed an opinion that maybe they didn't belong here, or if they did they shuold have their own special place ("go in the corner kid, you bother me...") The answer I recieved was that "this board is about helping people with thier cars, and these kids are the future of hot rodding." That gave me a lot to think about, and they are absolutely correct. A lot of people today who would like to enjoy cars as a hobby don't have fathers, uncles, or cousins who are into it, like many of us did 30 years ago. These kids, with their "affordable" rear drive V8 musclecars, and their desire to learn about them and "improve" them are the future of this sport. I kinda decided that every time the opportunity arises to help someone out, I will, even with a handle like "bluntz420"...lol.

btb, how many answers did you need to "bend the link till the secondary's open all the way" That is the one and only correct answer after all...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Agree,..I'd rather see our Utes in a 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen than a Honda or Nissan that's been "modified".

Here's the probelm.

First Gens were only built three years, at a total production of about 650,000 cars...of which less than half exists today (2% yearly attrition). Subsequent Camaro's (1970 and up) were built for 32 years and about 3-4 million cars were built, and I'd guess two-thirds of these cars are still around.

This site will easliy be taken over and first gen info will become more and difficult to search for, and first gen experts who are left will go elsewhere.

Again, simply my opinion.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 05, 12:51 PM
Retired
Jim

As Al said, new sections are being planned to seperate the gen's better both for searching function and use by other gen owners. I think since the site owners have bent over backwards to help all camaro owners says alot, as well as open to ideas to make it function for all of us better. That also is being done. As long as we ALL help each other when we can, the site can only get better.
Best dang site out there for all of us in my humble opinion.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode