First Gen only site etc. - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

View Poll Results: Should the site change to split up Camaro generations?
Leave it alone I like it the way it is. 55 47.41%
Split it up to first, second, third and fourth gens 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

First Gen only site etc.

See this thread and see what you think. I am putting up a poll to see what peolpe here think. other post

I voted to leave the site as-is:

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 10:58 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Re: First Gen only site etc.

Hi Joe. I'm not so sure the poll is entirely valid as it appears nobody is too sure just what was envisioned. I obviously never explained myself very well in the other topic.

That post was created to highlight an issue that other gen info was mixing in with the traditional first gen answers. Valid concern.

The future goal that I posted about was to allow some interaction with other years without mixing everything together. This forum would look exactly the same, only with just 1st gen information.

IF you wanted to see a forum(s) for other years, you click a box [] in your profile and forums would magically display for them. Searches would be relevant to your interest instead of getting a mix of replies. You could choose to see 1st gen, and say, 4th gen topics, or a mix. This would probably be the same for the classifieds etc... you would only see what specifically interests you. That would be cool.

Non Registered would probably see the entire works and could pick what they wanted.

This is a bit involved and seeing as I'm answering from work yet again (7 days a week) and we do not have 50 flashing sponsor banners on the site, it has been slow in coming (to even the test phase) AND of course causing some frustration with the mix of new/old questions and answers in the same forum. Ground Up Restoration does help with the costs, but the improvements and site expenses are still largely an out of hourly wages scenario on an "as can do" basis.

We are not trying to turn the site into a free-for-all, or ruin what we have built here. There are a lot of years worth of work to just toss away on a whim by frustrating all of our regulars who make the effort to help out and enjoy our camaros.

Instead the goal was to provide better use of our resources and not kick someone off the site because they don't share the exact same interest.

I hope this clarifies what seems to be a perception that things are going to drop into a huge dumpster of information. If it appears technically impossible to do, no problem, we can setup something else on another domain and link to more resources as well.

Ideally it would be nice to be integrated as a larger (single) member base might attract some additional sponsors, discounts for visitors, etc, plus allow only one registration to participate in any topic in any year.

I apologize for not explaining this in detail before but did not expect the question to have come up when it did. I dislike making posts based on maybe's as it creates confusion, like what already happened.

Al
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Your already a busy person Al. I love the place just the way it is, but then again I drive a 67 Camaro every day with no A/C in the Hot humid Southern Heat and in Icy snowy winters so I might be a little ol fashioned.

If it changes I will change with it, but don't change anything on "my" account. I love the place you have for us here. I just wish we had a "beers" smiley face in the chat area!

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Al, why dont we have membership here like the Chevelle site. I would be happy to kick in $$$$ for a membership to Team Camaro.

I think the site is just fine as it sits. Some times you need to do your own troubleshooting to get things resolved or at least try to troubleshoot. Not every single question is going to get answered in a day or two. I dont know what some people expect out of this site....

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
Al, why dont we have membership here like the Chevelle site. I would be happy to kick in $$$$ for a membership to Team Camaro...
I was going to ask that.... what is inside that secret door? The long lost UDHarold perhaps?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Talking Re: First Gen only site etc.

the two voting options you gave are like having to choose between leathal injection or the electric chair ???
in an election like this you have a (WRITE IN CANDIDATE) so here is my candidate I want to vote for

,,,,,,,,,,,,(MAKE IT CAMAROS ONLY),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as I have said for about ohhhhh the last 25 year's >they made the last one in 1970 it was a late 1969 camaro ,
this is not my opinion I wish they would have kept on going with the camaro
BUT THEY DID NOT !

1967 RS 327

Last edited by RS3SDL2MG; Sep 11th, 05 at 12:54 PM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

someone need's to start a page for car's made after 1970 , I already know the address for it ,,,,,,,,,www.genericcamaros.com that way if someone wanted to talk about one of those they could do so , and happiness will be all around ,

1967 RS 327
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 09:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I was thinking about all this. In this day & age, most people's 1st car is not a 1st Gen Camaro. It isn't practical. I started with a 3rd gen, and worked backwards, if you will. So I think I see both sides.

This reminds me of Porsche guys I used to know. Sometimes Vette guys fall into this trap too. They looked down on other makes/models. They rarely gave an ‘outsider’, especially a young one, the time of day, other than to spout off info about his own car. Or at least that is how this is perceived by the outsider, true or not. And truth isn’t truth, perception is truth.

I have always found Camaro owners (and other similar car types) much more accommodating. I mean, look at the ‘parking lot conversations’ thread. Camaro owners put up with more silliness than Porsche guys ever will. That is one of the reasons I am drawn to the Camaro. There is certain camaraderie.

I hear the older guys at car shows complaining the young people don’t ‘do cars’ anymore. This site is an enormous resource. I don’t think anyone here will deny that. This site, through its vast knowledge and overt generosity in time & energy, is in position to help stave off some of that ‘brain drain’ and help develop new Camaro (and old cars in general) enthusiasts. Why not embrace that, but within reason?

I threw this together on the fly, but maybe it offers some compromise between the ‘1st Gen only’ crowd and the ‘A Camaro is a Camaro’ crowd. Maybe we reshuffle/rename the forums a just bit, making most 67-69 only, and introduce a generic top forum. Based on my experience with similar setups, it should require no new programming tricks either, although I don’t know this software to speak with any surety.

Current Forum Structure:
Camaro Tech
***Camaro Tech 2005
***Body Shop
***Performance
***Interiors
***Tag Team
Specialty
***Restoration Corner, Copo & Dealer, Convertibles
Mechanical
***Engine, Transmission, Brakes & Suspension, Wheels & Tires
***Heating & Cooling, Electrical & Wiring, Troubleshooting
Team Camaro
***Bench Racing, Forum Classifieds, Team Camaro Cruiz-Ins
***Site Discussion, Test Drive!

Suggested Possible Forum Structure:
Welcome!
***Things To Know* (mod only threads w/site usage rules & links to other sites)
***70-02 Camaro Tech 2005
***Other Tech 2005

67-69 Specialties
***67-69 Camaro Tech 2005
***Restoration Corner, Copo & Dealer, Convertibles
67-69 Body & Trim
***Body Shop, Interiors, Tag Team
67-69 Mechanical
***Performance (moved)
***Engine, Transmission, Brakes & Suspension, Wheels & Tires
***Heating & Cooling, Electrical & Wiring, Troubleshooting
Team Camaro
***Bench Racing, Forum Classifieds, Team Camaro Cruiz-Ins
***Site Discussion, Test Drive!

I might suggest a mod only sticky in the top forum that outlines rules. Any specific non-1st Gen question goes in the top forum. 1st Gen question generally follow as today. There will be overlap or situations that a non-1st Gen question lands in the 1st Gen section. Such as a basic question like “opinions of ZZ4 motor’. Mods can move the threads if they don’t belong, as they do now.

Just thought I’d throw this out there for discussion (or kind dismantling ). This is a great site. I don't care if it changes at all. Scott-

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 10:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I just wanted to give my opinion in this topic, i voted to keep this site the way it is...this is the Best site i have ever been to,for Camaro people like us.The people who put this all together should be congratulated for all there hard work and money for all of us to be able to all come together like this in a forum. I appreciate not having to be member or to have to pay dues here,and to still be able to come on this site and ask questions that i need help with, I think this is a real plus. I have three Camoaros 69Z,68SS,68SS 68's for my sons, 69 for me ...i have learned a lot here talking to all the tech's and all the real car buff people like me..so why dont we grow up people and work together on this, and keep a good thing together here...They have worked hard here so we can have somthing that we can all enjoy..lets show some appreciation here by doing the right thing..by all just moving forward with change...Thank-you, for all of you who made this site for all of us to enjoy ....Chris

Muscle cars were loud, proud, and in your face, and did not pretend to be anything else.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 10:56 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

I know some folks have gotten bent out of shape on this topic. I dont think its necessary. Personally, I havent noticed the problem myself, and I would think that many would agree. Seems only a handful or so have voiced a displeasure. I say leave it the way it is. Sure there are some other gen questions that show up here. Truth is, many that are into camaros, are into more than just one gen. A lot of questions/answers translate beyond just the 1st gen cars. If the question cant be answered by anyone here, we can usually point them in the direction of another site that will be more helpful (nasty, for an example). But even still, its a predominantely 1st gen site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3SDL2MG
as I have said for about ohhhhh the last 25 year's >they made the last one in 1970 it was a late 1969 camaro ,
this is not my opinion I wish they would have kept on going with the camaro
BUT THEY DID NOT !
I will respectfully disagree on your opinion. Most of my knowledge is on the early cars, and have been building/restoring 1st gen cars for a while. I currently own a 70 RS Z. Beautiful lines (arguably prettier than the 1st gens), and will drive circles around them also. BTW, they never built a 69 body style camaro in the calendar year of 1970.

my .02
dave

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 05, 11:09 PM

im 3 gen 89rs 355 v8 it an auto still cool,and no im not a racer i hate when you tell them u have a fastass car and boom they think you are a racer, but if u are a racer good luck and stay on da road better off in a track
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 05, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The site and its members should welcome other owners here, regardless of what they drive, to a limit. I don't care for anything about a Yugo.

Site is awesome the way it is, Thanks, Al (tipping my Cubbies ball cap to you)

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 05, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

let me say something here ,,,,, I need to make it clear that it is the car's made after 1970 that I don't care for (NOT PEOPLE WHO OWN THEM) I enjoy the crap out of this site I like looking here daily I just simply don't care for the car's that GM made starting in 1970 , 1970 spelled the begining of the end for muscle car's and I have alway's felt like they did away with them ??? maybe that is stupid but I am not alone lot's and lot's of guy's feel the same way , I just don't understand what could have caused the car maker's to go so much down hill I mean look at say a 1974 camaro type LT berlinta ??? what kind of drug's were they on ??? it just don't make no sense ,

I don't like the post 70 car's , I never did like them , and you can't make me like them , but I have nothing whatsoever against anyone that own's one

1967 RS 327
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 05, 06:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Not that I disagree with you (not at ALL!) but the decline of the musclecar in the early 70's due to rising insurance costs, smog laws, and (possibly imagined) fuel shortages might be a subject for a whole 'nother post! But maybe we just shouldn't go there. Let's celebrate the return of the musclecar instead. Today's cars are pretty darned hot, even a (far eastern expletive deleted in advance by me) v6 minivan will smoke the (front!!) tires and get out of it's own way pretty darned well.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 05, 08:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
Not that I disagree with you (not at ALL!) but the decline of the musclecar in the early 70's due to rising insurance costs, smog laws, and (possibly imagined) fuel shortages might be a subject for a whole 'nother post! But maybe we just shouldn't go there. Let's celebrate the return of the musclecar instead. Today's cars are pretty darned hot, even a (far eastern expletive deleted in advance by me) v6 minivan will smoke the (front!!) tires and get out of it's own way pretty darned well.
True. The new Z06 Vette is a monster-fastest vette ever. And I won't even begin to compare the best 4th gen cars (maybe a 2000-02 SLP Z28?) vs anything made in the past, performance wise. Isn't that why we want late model performace (engines & trans combos, brakes, etc.)?

1st gens still look better.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode