Why are people on other sites so contentious? - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 07, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Why are people on other sites so contentious?

When I stumbled onto this site last year it was the best thing I ever did. The advice I have received has been so helpful and everyone is so nice, even when I post 'stupid' questions!!! Recently, I have embarked on a new project and have looked into similar forums specific for that restoration. What I have found however, is that the posts can get confrontational, and you kind of get the feeling that unless you are really knowledgeable, that you are going to get slammed. But if you knew everything then why would you need to ask the question? I guess I just assumed everyone was as nice as they are here.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 07, 09:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Re: Why are people on other sites so contentious?

From what I remember...
Camaro means "friend" in spanish, or french, or something like that.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 07, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
john

yeah this is a good frendly site......

so if you wanna rumble we will have to meet on a corner somewhere!!!!!!

lol kidding.....

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 03:58 AM
Team Member
MaryBeth

Hey Mike, I think it happens (for the most part anyway) because there are so many different opinions on how to do things and everyone thinks theirs is right. Unfortunately people think that there is only one way to do stuff and aren't willing to look at other options. Doesn't happen much here....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MaryBeth's 67 moneypit
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Maybe because we are mature adults here and like to mentor.
There are other sites? I can't imagine......oops, I'm starting to digress....

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I certainly see how people can have different opinions and that is how a discussion gets going. Thats all good. Its just when they start taking shots at one another, seems less than productive. I guess we have to realize there are different, viable ways of doing things. Maybe I should trade in my latest for another camaro, and just keep it all here!
Mike
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

We also have "janitors" and "bouncers" that keep the site clean and reasonable. I like a healthy discussion every now and then, but no need for name calling and such. Besides, if you have a Camaro, what else is there?

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 09:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi View Post
We also have "janitors" and "bouncers" that keep the site clean and reasonable. I like a healthy discussion every now and then, but no need for name calling and such. Besides, if you have a Camaro, what else is there?
Ya, I think us mods can take credit for it, lol!

Seriously tho, it is our policy that people on this site will behave in an adult manner toward eachother. People either learn to get along, or they find they don't like it here and they leave.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 10:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Why are people on other sites so contentious?

I agree Mike, about 98.(something)% of the responses - even to some poorly worded and hard to understand questions - are still taken seriously and answered as indepth and professional as possible.
There are a few that, no matter how hard you try to answer, head off on a wierd tangent and just go wrong (right "Tony" )...
I just put those on my 'ignore' list and never respond to those again.

We are all just here to learn and exchange info.
I personally learn something dang near every time I log on to the site

I also belong to several other sites for specific makes/models, few are near as helpfull as this one.
Only by pre-researching the subject I need info on though available reference materials, reading all the other info I can find through searches of past posts to that site and 'goolgleing' the subject beforehand - can I bring myself to start a new post on that site and hope for a decent answer without getting flamed or worse. This process often frustrates me to the point I don't post ...
I seldom see the same reaction or response to those type of posts on this site - seems that no matter how many times the same simple question gets posted, it gets answered very courteously.

My thanks to the Admin.'s for also stepping in from time to time to keep things on a nice course
You guys really earn your money at times ( oh, 'checks in the mail' ... )

Glad to be a member of this 'team';
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Harold

Your right about some of the other sites, my wife belongs to the corvette forum, asks a question now and then, mostly listens, But for a bunch of guy who are all about the numbers, they donn't share their knowledge anywhere near as freely as the guys do here. We've had our corvette, It's a 59 and my wifes love it, me I think it rides like a buckboard, for 20 years, and It's JUST A CAR, these guys can go overboard with the numbers thing, She ask a questions and 49 people have looked at it since yesterday and not 1 person could answer her question. Which was how do you tell a reproduction air cleaner from an original for 59. I told her they probably all put it on their watch list to bid on! Nope give me a camaro or a chevelle anyday! And the down to earth guys that go with them.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech

Hi Mike

I have to agree, I've checked out other sites and there are NO other sites where the amount of knowledge and the willingness to help are anywhere close to this one. I try to be (like John has stated) fairly diligent in my research before I will post for an answer here. Although with that said I am guilty of posting some pretty dumb questions sometimes. I usually just admit I'm an idiot up front and then ask my question.
I've been a member for a few years now after starting with no knowledge of how to restore my car. Now after fighting through my interrior, suspension,bodywork,(soon to be paint projects) and maybe a 1000 posts I am finally at a point where I can start giving back some help by answering some, not many, but some questions.
I feel like we are more like a club than a forum. I feel like I know a lot of the members through their posts ( questions and answers) over the years. I love it when I find someone asking a question that I know the answer for. Many times I'll read someone needs a picture of something and I'll grab the camera and head to the garage to try and get one for them.
That I believe is how most of the members are here. Remember the name of the site is TEAM camaro.

Thanks
Ray
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 03:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

This site is GREAT!!! Like Ray said, it is TEAM Camaro!! There are no stupid questions. We are just here to help. Trust me there are plenty of guys & some gals too on this site who have saved my @$$ a time or two or three or four when it comes to working on the Camaro I own now. To that I say THANK YOU!!!

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

This site is only better cuz Im here. NO ONE KNOWS MORE THAN ME.

sorry had to say that, LMAO.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
john

hey wait!!!!! i know the most..... so there....... thats that!!!!!!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 07, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I'm the big ugly Goon like bouncer with the South Side (Chicago) attitude. Youze got a problim wit dat? Nah I didnt tink so! Wait one of youze does, well let me introduce youze guys to my friends ohva dehr, da hitmen. Yea dats one of da hitmen. Yea, da guy wit da long trench coat and da ugly mug. Oh oh, he's comin' yor way.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode