Reproduction parts discussion - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 05, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Reproduction parts discussion

Has anyone ever discussed the idea of a forum dedicated to the discussion of reproduction parts?

Not to pick on any single vendor but I am constantly amazed at the problems that I encounter with even the simplest of repro parts and I feel it would be beneficial to all of us if there was a single place to search before buying, just so that we know what to expect.

I see the topics covering three main areas:

Quality
Originality
Fitment

Examples from recent purchases:

The quality of the OER repro convertible interior rearview mirror post for a 67 convertible is average. The boot for that post does not have the two holes for the lower screws like my original did therefore the originality is different but the final appearance is actually nicer because the lower screws can be tightened and then covered by the new boot, which is then attached by the single upper screw. Speaking of which, the repro post does not have a hole for the upper screw so you must drill one in order to fit the piece to the car.

That sort of thing.

There is a lot of tribal knowledge about what is right and what is wrong with repro parts but there is no "bible" to turn to. I don't think that it needs to be vendor bashing, especially since most vendors are all selling the same parts. In fact, the vendors would probably like to know what issues we encounter so that they can improve their products.

Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 12:44 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Re: Reproduction parts discussion

We put the review section together to try and provide a place for this. It allows ratings and reviews of products and has the potential to be a great resource.

Comments about it are welcome. Would like to get more items listed.

https://www.camaros.net/reviews/

Al
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Great idea JeffLit,..think of what we could save on shipping and time, when we have to send inferior parts back to our suppliers. Not to mention the delays it causes our projects.

And agree,..there's a lot of junk that shouldn't be sold,..anybody ever seen the wheel well trim for 69's (these should not be on the market,..period).

Not to mention safety issues from buying [email protected] parts. A few years ago I purchased a repo fuel tank from NPD that had a seam that wasn't sealed,..unbelievable.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 04:41 PM
Team Member
Christropher

As Al stated, the review section of this forum would work great for that purpose. If we can only get folks interested in posting about items more often it would be a valuable tool.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode