Team Impala? - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Weller

Team Impala?

Ok - so I see Team Camaro, Team Chevelle, Team Nova...anyone thinking of a Team Impala? I am. Who/how could we get this going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Camaro...'69 Impala LM1 F40 J52 M38 C60 N33
'41 Chevy Master Deluxe Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 05:36 PM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Re: Team Impala?

you've got mail.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 05:54 PM
Guess

Great idea!
Can I moderate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 06:09 PM

Let me know were it is or going to be.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Okay, how do the gen's go on the Impala? I know they started in '58 but have no idea of the break down. Now I will be glad to hang around and ask dumb questions about the wifes '02.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Weller

How do the gen's go...well we've I've never really look at them as generations but if I did it would be a little something like this...

1958 first year out. Body style lasted 1 year
1959 - 1960 2nd Gen if you will...Body style lasted 2 years, with siginifcant revisions in the 2nd year.
1961 - some will argue this belongs to the 1959-1960 body style, others will argue it's a 1 year only like the 1958. I think it could be considered a heavily revised 1959-1960.

1962-1964. 3rd gen?
1965-1966 I guess this would be 4th. Also, 1965 was the end of the "X-frame" chassis and the first year of the new perimiter chassis that was used without significant change through 1970, was stretched and used 1971-1976, and onward after that still similar in design but sized more like a Chevelle chassis from 1977 onward...

1967-1968 - 5th gen? Like 1965-1966, very similar cars with mild front and rear end upgrades.

1969-1970 - 6th gen - interchangeable body panels except for front fenders. Otherwise essentially the same car, different front and rear treatments.

1971 - 1976 - 7th gen I guess, got longer wheelbase, 1974 saw the introduction of the big gaudy safety bumpers...minor style upgrades each year.

1977 - 1983 - 8th gen. and then the Impala name died. Caprice took over, based on same car through to 1990.

1994- 1996 9th generation? A Caprice lent it's platform to performance enhancements and the Impala name was ressurected, but only for a short time as "Impala SS"

2000 - well, I have a hard time calling these Impalas for a number of reasons...but there you have it. For starters...the Impala trademark was always 6 tail lights every year except 1959. 4 tail lights indicated a lessor trim level - bel air or biscayne...it related to a bargain basement plain-Jane. GM really goofed when they put 4 tail lights on the 2000...every other year had 6 tail lights, or at least trim to divide the tail lights on each side into 3 sections.

Someone somewhere probably has an official opinion on Impala gen's...but this is my off-the-cuff version

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Speaking of posts..I have an '06...Here are some sample categories for the new site:

Key Fob

Today my wife (Cali blonde) called from Stoneridge Mall- the clicker would not open the doors...she called and wasnt sure how to get in the car. Being the genius that I am I suggested using the key. She looked for the lock and found one on the drivers door and sheepishly hung up. She got home and made me promise I wouldnt tell anyone- I havent. Sure enough I gave her the spare clicker as this one died after three months.

Seats

Why does my butt hurt when I drive to LA? Seats are terrible.
Drove to LA last week and spent some time in Van Nuys searching for the Camaro factory- only found Taco times and Hyundai dealerships.

Steering

Pump output pressure insufficient at idle...makes her hard to park. Maybe need a different spring check and ball- as I 've read about here...

-my contribution....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 07:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

69chevyguy,

Wow, you obviously know your Impalas. That's a lot of gen's as compared to the the other Chevy lines. As far as official your's may be as good as any. I'll agree the FWD drive lost it for the most of us even though the wifes '02 seems to be a good car.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Thumbs up Re: Team Impala?

I bought a 2004 Imapala SS with the Indy 500 option, we have put only 9000 miles on it since new, and already the speedometer went bad along with the gas gauge. The dealer replaced it immediately with no B.S. at all. I will say I run the car up to 137 mph going through Idaho on a long straight stretch with no other cars. The car kept pulling hard, but my wife kept yelling at me so I backed off. I thought the new cars would have the computer cut out the ignition after 100, but this car keeps going, and feels like it could easily top its 140 mph speedo. I will say I am impressed with the top end capabilities, and how it felt it had so much more. These are only the 3.8 V6 motors rated at 240 H.P. and this one is supercharged. I have enjoyed it very much so far, heated seats, good room, great stereo, super ride, sunroof, it has it all but I kind of wish I would have waited for the V8 model. Also these are capable of super good gas mileage if you drive normal. For a family cruiser it really fits my needs, and I think it is well built, except for that speedometer. Just my observations so far, but I would rather talk Camaros!

Last edited by nikkisdad; Dec 12th, 05 at 11:51 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 10:21 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 RSS
Speaking of posts..I have an '06...Here are some sample categories for the new site:

Key Fob

Today my wife (Cali blonde) called from Stoneridge Mall- the clicker would not open the doors...she called and wasnt sure how to get in the car. Being the genius that I am I suggested using the key. She looked for the lock and found one on the drivers door and sheepishly hung up. She got home and made me promise I wouldnt tell anyone- I havent. Sure enough I gave her the spare clicker as this one died after three months.

Seats

Why does my butt hurt when I drive to LA? Seats are terrible.
Drove to LA last week and spent some time in Van Nuys searching for the Camaro factory- only found Taco times and Hyundai dealerships.

Steering

Pump output pressure insufficient at idle...makes her hard to park. Maybe need a different spring check and ball- as I 've read about here...

-my contribution....
I already see a good reason not to start a new forum site... It's like this post all over the Colorado site , it started out as a good idea but everyone with an issue with their truck feels they got screwed by GM and spews their problems giving the site a real negative effect...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 05, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Weller

Good point Dennis...although I would hope a Team Impala sight would attract far more classic full size folks as opposed to strictly owners of the new breed. Late 1960's full size models are now quickly gaining popularity, and there is almost no info on the net for them at all. More and more people NEED resources like this site and CRG - but geared to the full size models, and up to now have been let down time and time again. That's why I created my site, but it's still a long way away from being the kind of resource that's needed. I say let's do it!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 05, 06:27 AM

Thumbs up Re: Team Impala?

I'm game. Great idea. Besides my 69 Camaro, I have a 62 Impala convertible with 4 spd and 409.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 05, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Why not just add another section?

I'm, er, my wife is, about to get a 2006 LS. Its being built now. Delivery Jan 3rd. The 2003 LS will be passed along to the kids.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 05, 01:45 PM
Guess

IF a Team Impala site and forums were to materialize, I wouldn't include anything after '74 or '76. Maybe even '72.
Stick with the classic years. There are enough GM and Chevy sites that cover the 90's Impalas. Besides, they don't compare in any fashion whatsoever with the first 14 years the car was produced.
Just my .02

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 05, 02:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Team Impala?

I'll join - can I get Vintage 62 ???

I would have to differ with you on the Generations breakdown.
I think they would breakdown more along the Major Body Panel Changes, Running Gear and Frame changes rather than just body/driveline changes.

I would propose a Gen Chart along the lines of:

Gen....Year(s)....Reasoning
1st...1958~64... Major "X" Frame and Driveline set-up remained the same - Body Style was changed over this period but, the wheel bases stayed the same and the interior demensions didn't change much. (note; these changes were also present in the 1st gen Camaros)
2nd...1965~76...Again - the wheel bases were nearly the same all these years so the "platform" didn't undergo any major changes. The Body, Roof and Interior Styles changed some but, again the demensions didn't. (note; sort of like the 2nd Gen Camaros ...)
3rd...1977~85...'77 was the first year of this major redesign of the platform. It carried the same demensions through the '85 model year.
4th...1994~96... The FINAL generation... This was the final Rear-Drive platform used for the Full Size Impala line. The frame and drivelines remained the same through this short run.
okay - if you have to;
5th...1999~2005...Front Drive platform with a new 'Full-Size' Impala offering...
rev5.5th...2006~ ??? (hopefully another short run...) Maybe it would be best to just still call this a 5th Gen. - at least until Chevy reintroduces a Rear-Drive again to compete in the world market...

There, now you can just break these Gens down into Phases by major body changes and you can keep track of the Frame/Platform for each.

One of my 'favorites' is - http://www.stillruns.com/index.php
Pretty good site with lots of info.

I also have no problem pulling the plug on some of the later years if a site was to come together - along the lines as is done on here. Mostly the first couple-three Gens or so - there are several sites for the "later" Gen Impalas & SS's.
Limiting the years may bring some higher exposure to these mostly uncovered models and help the hit's in site searches.
As always - JMHO's;
John M

ps: "67" - and spent some time in Van Nuys searching for the Camaro factory- only found Taco times and Hyundai dealerships...
1.)If you would have gone to the movies at "The Plant" cinemas you would have been @ where your car was assembled...
2.) I have no idea why your - errrrr nevermind...
3.) OSH has batteries to fix that...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Dec 13th, 05 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode