68 71k all original - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 06, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Smile 68 71k all original

Hello everyone,

I am new to the club with my 1968 camaro. I purchased it from a 71 year old Italian who had garaged it for 33 years and drove it a block every three weeks. Interior and engine are all original and immaculate and I am glowing. It is an inline 6 with three forward gears on the floor, convertible, and so clean. My brother and I spent a few days outside of an autoparts store, and after replacing fuses, reconnecting hoses and other little things, we got the fuel gauge, radio, bulbs, heater and essentially everything working. Very gratifying.

Now it is up to me to garage it for another 30 years. All it is missing now is the original air conditioning. Can these even be found, and if so, are they worthwhile to keep the "all original" feel of the car? Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 06, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 68 71k all original

Congrats on your new purchase! I bet it is a nice looking ride.

Yes, they are out there. If you're talking about the A/C compressor, most any auto parts store can get you an R6 compressor with clutch for under $150.

The important thing is are all the OE brackets there? These can be a bear to find, especially for a 6-cylinder.

Belts and hoses can be replaced. Hoses can be recrimped with new hose an the OE ends. I would change them just to bring them up to date.

The POA valve may be stuck, can still be purchased, and if the system is/has been open, then the dryer, still be purchased, will need changing. Expansion valves can still be bought over the counter fairly reasonable.

Freon R12 is pretty expensive, $90 per lb here. You might find alot of good products and info at www.oldairproducts.com They have conversion kits to R-134A. But then, with the 1/2 quick release service ports, it won't look OE. The norm has been: If your going to change the compressor, changeover to R-134A.

Now, if you're looking for date coded parts, ie, hoses, belts, and compressor, you've doubled the price, if not tripled it. If you're not going to use it, close up the system and fill it with nitrogen. Its dry and will keep the moisture out of what is existing.

Finding a good reputable/knowledgeable A/C mech is a hit or miss. Ask around.You want one who will leak check using nitrogen at 175-180 PSI rather than using freon, this will keep the cost considerably.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 06, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech

Very cool , original is best, keep it that way what a great find! Congrats. I would be happy as a lark with a six in my car. The backets if not there will be a little chalange for a six but they are there. A small shop with weird stuff like that ,you have a good chance at finding it there. Chicago muscle car 847-526-2200 Ralf is the contact name

Make sure you go though the brakes and hoses before you drive much they could be very dried out if they are original you certainly want to stop your new prize! Mine sat too and I found the rear hose original after 38 years with a good crack in the outer shell could blow at any time. Look at that stuff!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank for the reply. I have heard that the v6 engines will last longer than the V8'S. How long do you think the original engines on a V6 generally last (average mileage?) Aside from the fact that the car has been repainted once, had the convertible top changed once, the tires replaced, and some spark plugs and batteries replaced, to my knowledge the car is all original. Also th eglove box will not open (the whole lock assembly falls out when you turn the key) and when I reach behind it feels like nothing is there. What is the deal with the glove boxes?

And thank you for the tip on the shop. I will look them up if I decide to try and bring the car back to the way it was off the showroom floor. It will probably take me awhile to get that all done. I am keeping the Lemans Blue if I repaint. Any tips on what brand and specs the original tires were? I have a set of four of the original hub caps, but one is rusted. The others are clean, and I may seek out a clean replacement.

Thanks again,
Mike
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Good information. It sounds like a lot of work to replace it. I may do it in time. Thank you for the information. Where would the brackets be if they are still there? Are they about six inches and near the heater hoses?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The brackets may be on the previous owner's wall hanging up, on a shelf collecting dust, or in his 20-30 year box of hardware.

If you're asking if they are six inches and near the heater hoses (on the pass side of the engine?), then yes, these may be them. One for the front and one for the rear attachment. The front one & rear ones may not be there since they would have gone with the compressor.

Send a pic of the location in question.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 06, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~mschwart/car.html

After a second look, me thinks the brackets are missing. Thanks anyway.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 06, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice car! You might try D&R Classics for brackets. Sister cars, Nova, full-size, any vehicle with a 6-cylinder A/C would fit. Even trucks.

www.hemmings.com for more listings of vintage yards and other suppliers.

'
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 06, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech

Mikey1968,

Are you in Spokane, I noticed you used a Gonzaga site.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 06, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Hey Mike:
Looking at the pictures, are you sure it ever had AC?

69 rs/ss 350 "vert" air tilt windows
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 06, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoter
Hey Mike: Looking at the pictures, are you sure it ever had AC?
My bad, I missed it. Good find, reddoter

Looking at the engine bay, there is no A/C box.
Looking at the interior dash, there is no A/C center vent.

Mike, could you be asking about the heater hoses? I noticed the one heater hose looped back into the water pump rather than attached to the heater nipples. The other heater hose is hanging from the hose bracket on the fender.

I'd blow into the open hose with my finger over the open heater core nipple to see if the core is in good repair. But, I imagine if the heater is bypassed, most likely, it has a hole in it.

'
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 06, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am not sure that the car ever had the AC. It says cold/hot on the center dash, but it also has slats you pull open manually to let air flow in near your legs on the passenger and driver side of the car. Ed said the AC was gone when he got the car, but maybe it was never there!

Also, Ed told us the heater was just disconnected. My younger brother and I reconnected it pretty easily (aside from losing coolant while we purchased new tubing to fit the piping better) and it works well. I just assumed there was AC because we had been told there was and all the space in the engine.

-Mike
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 06, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

No, went to school in Spokane, at Gonzaga. Am in San Jose, California. Got a link for a camaroslimited Bay Area club that meets in Sunnyvale and excited about seeing them.

Also, to the everyone who has been helping me, there is a post under the "TAGTEAM" section where I have all of my trim tag info and VIN number and engine #. When I posted originally here, I had not known that the interior has been replaced once! When I learned this, I thought all was done for, but it is a beautfiul interior still so we will have to see.

-Mike

Last edited by mikey1968; Mar 30th, 06 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Sadly, update for the "ALL ORIGINAL" claim . . . :(
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 06, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1968
I am not sure that the car ever had the AC. It says cold/hot on the center dash, but it also has slats you pull open manually to let air flow in near your legs on the passenger and driver side of the car. Ed said the AC was gone when he got the car, but maybe it was never there!-Mike
Astro-Ventilation, not A/C. Most 68's came with this option of allowing outside air into the pass compartment.

Cold/Hot on the center dash is to control the temperature of the air through the heater by varying the opening of an air door.

Glad to read the heater core is in good shape. Read your Owner's Manual...LOL

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode