Lost favorites? - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 06, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

Lost favorites?

I logged in tonight and went to my favorites and there were only 2 sites there. Hemmings and photobucket. Both of which I added in the last couple of days. I had a folder with car related stuff, probably had 25 sites, and another 50 or so that didn't get used that often. A few sites that I use to pay bills, etc . The rest, old stuff that I hadn't used in years.

They were there yesterday, gone today. I did figure out how to display a URL? in my signature last night. Could I have done something in that process?
Any way to retrieve favorites? I'm not very computer literate. Thx, Jim

Jim's '69
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 06, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Lost favorites?

Open My computer/right clk/search
in the search opitions include hidden files
Enter a a word or a few letters of a word that relates to one of the missing entries
/go

It could be that u have logged in as a different user.

If the above doesnt find anything report back will try something else

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 06, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

Steptoe...I have dsl connection and use MSN for the browser and yes, we do have the computer set up for 2 users. Me and the wife. I did get to search,just used the word "favorites", just not the way you told me but my wife's favorites are still there. (We lost hers too.) That would be a great start to re-establish my favorites if I could copy hers to my user screen. We only went to the 2 user screens less that a year ago so most of my favorites are an my wife's list also. Thx,Jim

Jim's '69

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 06, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

OK...
one of the users will have admin rights...most likely the orginal user name
loggin/ open my computer/tools at the top/opitions/veiw/
Tick "show hidden files" and un tick "hide protected operating sytem files" apply then OK.
Clk on folders on the taskbar at the top ...opens explorer with left folder ladder...just makes finding, moving folders easier.
Now open C:\documents and settings\ here u will see the users
In each user u will see a "favotites" folder right clk/copy the user folder that is good.
Now right click on the other user name and hit paste

A further note not related to the above,
I mentioned Admin user log on Idealy and best practice is not to use this for email, surfing and general use.
Have The admin and 2 user loggins without admin privledges
Use admin for installing stuff and the users for using.
If logged on as admin and lets say u hit a site or email with a worm/virus that is going to screw with system files..it will do so
If loffed on as a user with limitted permissions then the worm /virus cant make these changes.
Bit over simplified but u get the idea?.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 06, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

Will try tomorow. I ended going back to work tonite for a minor crisis and it's almost midnite here. I do remember copying/transfering over favorites from old browser, think it was internet explorer, to MSN so I know it can be done. Will also look for instructions that came with disc, etc. Thx,Jim

Jim's '69

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode