With your knowledge: help create a website for the car enthusiast, by the enthusiasts - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

With your knowledge: help create a website for the car enthusiast, by the enthusiasts

Hello Team Members, as a member of Team Camaro and an advent car enthusiast, I have a challenge and an opportunity for you.
I am starting a new Collector Car Classified Ad Web Site. Not "just another classified ad site," I want it to have direct links to valuable (useful) information, such as Team Camaro, being very specific to classic cars. This will be a paid classified ad web site. The classified ad is just the start; we are committed to getting the proper informational resources to the classic car enthusiast; making our web sites a valuable and different resourceful web site. Therefore, we are designing this web site not only by our ideas, we too want to utilize the car enthusiast’s point of view--you. Your web site has a very informed membership, making it a priceless resource, I would like to be able to get any feed back from you as to what you like or dislike about “other” classic car classified ad web sites. Additionally, I want your feedback on the design and information I will be utilizing for our web site. Who better to ask then the people who use the very same resource I am trying to create. Your insights, experiences, and thoughts would be perfect. I would share all of the pertinent information and provide all design submittals, thus allowing you, the members, to essentially design a web site by the consumers and not the “web designers”. Your feedback, positive or negative, would be used to create the web site. I appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thank you for your time and consideration. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: With your knowledge: help create a website for the car enthusiast, by the enthusiasts

There are general rules for a web site to be sucessfull.
1/User friendly..create the site functions from the users piont of veiw..not what the creator wants
2/ Presents well and ease to read find info.
3/SEO..a biggie and very much an art.
4/Creation of a community..Very difficuilt and again very much of an art
5/To move into a already long established that is already well opitimised is near impossible to do...especially so if costs are involved for the 1st few yrs.
6/Time..the administration of a interactive site is very time consumming over a very long time without any returns...Far more than ppl generally think.
7/ Have a very good understanding of how the web works, security, backups.

Quote:
This will be a paid classified ad web site.
Dont expect any income for at leat 1 or 3 yrs and even then dont expect to derive a livable income from it.

I know this from experiance, I created a site nearly 3 yrs ago, now running in top 3 of all search engines, and like this site on (a smaller scale due to subject) provides the most informative information on the subject anywhere be it the 'net or hardcopy.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 01:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: With your knowledge: help create a website for the car enthusiast, by the enthusiasts

Why, we already have one here??

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I'll admit I'm old and grey, but I've been working with computers since the seventies, but I still know very little about how to make money with one (I used to make some money with my A+ cert, but that was before it became cheaper to buy one than fix one). So Steptoe what is a "SEO..a biggie and very much an art" (I suspect it's an acronym but for what?)

Larger Dave
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

SEO = Search engine Opitimisation
Site maps, Google site maps, site map opitimisation, meta tags, dynmatic page meta tags, internal and external linking, remote site linking, robots.txt stds complicance in coding, keywords... what they are how many and what not to allow, word banning...and the order and timing that they are incorporated into a site
just part of the list

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

What I think.............I would much appreciate speaking with and trading ideas with people who I know there NAME!!!!!!!!

Chuck Sharin
Seattle, WA

Chuck Sharin
Seattle area
69 COPO recreation (Day 2)
70 Z-28
70 L-78
70 SS R/S
73 RS LT
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 06, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I would much appreciate speaking with and trading ideas with people who I know there NAME
There is a problem on the net these days...there are dishonest ppl.
About 2 weeks ago I illusrated this to a member on our site who lives in Aussie.
I described his house and the colour of his car...I got a couple things wrong.
The trees at theback of his home had been cut down a few days before, and he had just traded the car I described a week before....
I had his phone number, where he worked, work number
All in around 5 minutes. With not much more digging a hell of a lot more could be found out about his wfe children, morgages on his home, any shareholdings he may hold and a lot more...All legally....
All I had was his name, a rough idea where he lived in Aussie.
I had got down to 4 choices...and chose 1 and lucked out 1st time.

But u get the idea?
So when trading/buy selling...do so in private, and do so thru a site that you trust....Site admins have access to a heap if information that are automatically stored in data bases...not for any bad reasons, but simply because for a site to work it needs to archive such info.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Steptoe: I much appreciate the information, I am sure; I will have to invest money in order for me to make money. I am not going to do this web site utilizing my "art" ability; I am hiring the professionals for their ability to create "art." You have confirmed my belief, I won’t expect to make money from this web site for the first few years, I need to invest before I can profit. Building any business takes time and effort. Your advice is well heeded.
Jonesy: I am not creating this web site to compete with Team Camaro, an invaluable source of free information (unless you decide to become a paid member—as I am proud to be). I am going to compete with the Paid Classified Ad sites. Through-out many years, I have used both the paid and/or free classified ad web sites (I currently have a car for sale on this web site) to sell cars. I know how most “other” Paid websites work, what information is provided, etc. I don’t want to be the same, so, I am taking the step to have people, like yourselves, to let me know what you like and don’t like. In addition to the classified ads I too want to provide free information appropriate for the car enthusiasts. What kind of information interest you.
CamarosRus: I have to agree with Steptoe, to many people who want to do more harm then good; my name (for this forum) is indpthwill.
Ideas; ease of use, simply format, not too many Flashy graphics, and great SEO.
The fact is; I want Team Camaro, and their other affiliated sites, to be apart of the available hyper-links for resources. This web site is a very resourceful informational benefit to the car enthusiast
Thank you for your help and keep the ideas coming. When I get the HP (homepage) I will share it with you, for your input.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 06, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Couple notes..
Web designers very rarely do any SEO other than basic meta tags
Web designers are expensive and the quality of work varies greatly
This site ( www.kakariki.net )took around 6 months to put together, SEO etc, and it is still not fully finished.
When u have it up, get hold of me and I will tell u a few tricks of the trade re SEO and related stuff...Do not submit to search engines, this can take weeks months, it can be done very easy in 24 hrs. And dont do it until other SEO functions are in place.
I prefer php rather than html for interactive sites (like camaros.net) There are many portals on the market...I do like Nuke ...Ravens cms is by far the most securce and stable ( http://ravenphpscripts.com/ )
Also there u will find some old posts of mine For SEO

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Steptoe: correct on the web designers cost factor. The web site will not be as interactive as is TC's. Thanks for the SEO info. I will get a hold of you. Apparently, there are a lot of "so called" SEOs companies out there. Is the SEO something I could do, or should I hire, if so who? As for the HP, I am going to stick with a simple layout concept for the HP and a typical ad page as well as a page showing a list of results after any given search..

A automated solution is what your visitors will get throughout the site:
-A three column display left/center/right
-Only the center column space will change on any other page
- have one simple menu that will stay up on top with the same header containing my logo
-A two colors layout.

This concept is the lightest and the most optimized you can have. That is also why it is very functional and offers a very easy consultation of content without having the feeling of changing from one page to another or without having to use secondary menus like on other web sites. Plus you maintain an all time access to certain tools (My account/Sell your car/dealer ads...)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

This is what I did..the kakariki site
I didnr even know how to spell Ahache, buke , php let alone know what it was..
So I started partitioned my HD, loaded appserve, then nuke...learnt a few basics of php as I went, and made the web site..adding modules/blocks, customising as I went...When the basics where done I published on the net...I didnt have a domain name so used no-ip and used the no-ip url kakariki.sytes.net...ppl started to join, I continued to mess with code, research, try stuff...and just expaned...added a smtp server for mail, and Got into SEO.
About 6months later the site was getting serious, so I regist kakariki.net thu no-ip...
After about 12 months the site was basically finished thu even to this day there are some minor bugs, functions that I cant get to work 100% correct but work...they are only cosmetic.
Everything from the Apachie server, mail server, nuke code is all open source (free) costs to date is the regist of the domain, hardware (and old gaming machine) and couple gig of my BW per month. I use Symantic Ghost to run Full backups of Dbs files progs, 2x a day (this I purchsed)
I stongly suggest If u are going to make a site, do so on a local machine//u are in FULL control, and dont have to mess with ftp etc
Then if what to go to a commercial host (frebees are not reliable and often dont supply functions such as pic/file uploads, mail etc) Do so once the site is established and has a good customer base.
Further site devalopement can then be done on the local server, when right upload without risk to site down time.
If I had got commercial ppl to design /code it would have run into 5000 to $10000 .

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe
This is what I did..the kakariki site
I didnr even know how to spell Ahache, buke , php let alone know what it was..
Eh, you still don't. It's Apache.

Some great advice IMO though!!!

Especially regarding hosting location.

Develop locally, deploy with a hosting service.
While I like running a web server on a LAN (I've got a UNIX server running Apache, MySQL, and some other stuff) you can't beat the availability gained from external hosting. Fees can get very expensive for big sites but are actually fairly affordable for smaller ones. Then you have access to fast servers (in most cases) and you don't have to worry about outages as much.

A few comments if I may:

1/User friendly..create the site functions from the users piont of veiw..not what the creator wants
True most of the time but sometimes you have to sacrifice usability on the users part to allow for proper handling on your own. If your code is shoddy or not reliable then users REALLY won't want to use it.

2/ Presents well and ease to read find info.
Yep. The KISS method works great, with THIS being a great example.

3/SEO..a biggie and very much an art.
Yep. People need to find your site.

4/Creation of a community..Very difficuilt and again very much of an art

Again, I agree 100%

5/To move into a already long established that is already well opitimised is near impossible to do...especially so if costs are involved for the 1st few yrs.
?

6/Time..the administration of a interactive site is very time consumming over a very long time without any returns...Far more than ppl generally think.
Another biggie. If your community takes off you need to be able to scale up or you won't have any free time or money left!

7/ Have a very good understanding of how the web works, security, backups.
Great advice even for the home user.

A few other notes of my own:

1.) Have a good,fresh idea (in many people's opinions). It seems like you've got one of those already! But too many people start a site with "blinders" on, only to realize that they are doing the same thing others have been for a while, and they have a tough time gaining a following.

2.) Keep the site simple but elegant, and don't just throw random widgets into your code because they are cool. A heavyweight site takes a long time to load and can piss off your users... and they won't come back. Remember that not everyone has the same browser as you, or the same OS, or the same plugins.

3.) Macromedia Dreamweaver is a great software package to try your hand at some basic web design. There are other RAD (Rapid Application Development) tools out there as well, seek them out as they can really shorten development time.

Last edited by WildBillyT; Jun 8th, 06 at 09:08 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 06, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Eh, you still don't. It's Apache.
LMAO...well I didnt sat I learnt how to spell it
Note my sig lol
If anyone knows Nuke/php and is able to help finish of my login block bugs could u let me know please?

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 06, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

My "informational resource link" will be free and useful information to all.
Links: All companies “linked” will be classic car specific.
State Emission requirement(s)
Transportation
Financing
Insurance
Vehicle Inspection
Escrow
Scam Alert
Car club forums i.e. Team Camaro (if they agree)
Pricing Guide i.e. NADA
Magazines
Events
Anything else to add or remove?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 06, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

International import export agents
International and local (country) transporters
U would be supiesed at the international movement of vechiles even to and from a small place like NZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode