What car to buy!!?? - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 06, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

What car to buy!!??

I am looking to buy a 1969 Z28/RS 302 with a cross ram.
I don’t know much about these cars (I own Shelby’s…Sorry)
And that is why am looking for guidance from those who know.
I want a car that is rare.
The car I am looking at is Hugger Orange with black interior.
What are the popular colors? Is this a good car to consider?
I look forward to your feed back.
Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 01:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage
Re: What car to buy!!??

Well yes, it is a rare car, but the first question is: have you documented that it is indeed a real RS Z/28 along with the drivetrain and the rest of the car? Is there documentation to support the originality of the vehicle? To my knowledge, they only made 20,302 Z/28's and I don't believe the number with the RS option is known, but again, it is that much more rare. The more original/correct the car is along with the condition will determine the value. In my opinion, anyone who has an RS Z/28 has a very, very desireable car (especially if you add the crossram), so any color works for me! I am partial to the WOW colors, which I consider to be any stock blue base color, garnet red, black, green, all with ivory white stripes or yellow, orange, silver or white with black stripes. There are a good number of other color options with the bottom line being, they are all good. It's about what you like that really matters. Of course, there are more rare 69 Camaro models than the RS Z/28. Charlie
ps: please be advised that there is a lot of fraudulent claims of originality when it comes to these cars and it is highly recommended that you have any car in this price range certified to be correct so that you are getting exactly what you believe. Without the independent certification, you could take a financial beating.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Pics and any additional information would be helpful. By chance is the car your looking at on eBay?

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
One of the cars is on e-bay. Here is the item #260028890435.
Would appricate any and all feed back. Also here is the link to another car:
http://www.showdownmusclecars.com/inventory/39994.
Thanks again!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 06:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

They both appear to be very nice cars. For a cross ram Z/28 that is number's matching and in pristine condition expect to pay close to 100 grand. Good Luck in your search and even though I am a Camaro guy there is nothing wrong with Vintage 1960's Shelby Mustangs. Those Shelby's are some very nice cars and I like them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Please clarify what exactly number matching means.
What parts do you refer to?
Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Here is a link to the car on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0435%26fvi%3D1

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 07:46 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rej9 View Post
Please clarify what exactly number matching means.
What parts do you refer to?
Thanks
Number's matching means the engine, trans, and rear end are original to the car.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 09:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

The ebay X33 car (an RS Z/28) has an after market cross ram. The other Z is an X77 (Z/28) with what appears to be a factory cross ram set up, which may, or most likely is not original to that car. If the factory cross ram set up is/where original to this car, it would be even more rare indeed. Documentation is the KEY. But, you only have 18 hours left and likely not enough time to certify the condition & numbers matching drivetrain. If you like the ebay car, I would follow it through the auction and only bid if I had the $ to throw around (which I don't). Assuming it does not meet the reserve, I would then contact the dealer and make sure I had all of the information and arrange to fly out with a Camaro expert in the area (which you may be able to acquire by asking here on tc). Of course pinning the dealer down on his sell number would be critical to make sure it is within your budget. The blue Z (my personal favorite), while not an RS, is a nice car as well, but you have the same need for documentation, verification and certification.
ps: I assume you have considered what exactly you are going to do if you had one of these Z/28 race cars....... ie;trailer & show the car given that the gear ratios and cross ram set up would make them more than a challenge in either city or hwy driving. IMO

Last edited by camaromaniac; Sep 13th, 06 at 12:16 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

You'll definately need to do your homework. 69 Z28s are one of the most commonly "faked" cars around.

Since youre not well-versed in these cars at this time, I would suggest running any possible purchase cars by the "Tag Team" section here at TC. We will give an honest, un-biased opinion on the validity of a car.

We definitely prefer "What do you guys think of this car I'm looking to buy" rather than the "Here's the car I just bought, is it real?"

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 06, 10:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

What I meant by numbers matching would be the block to the VIN # and the trans to the VIN#. The rear end would have to be date correct. I have yet to see a partial VIN# stamped into a rear end and I've had a couple of 12 bolts in my day.

Like the others said be EXTREMELY cautious of buying a fake. Z28's as the others have said are probably the most commonly faked cars around. It's hard to justify paying 100 grand or 200 grand on a fake but it happens.

Make sure the production date on the trim tag correlates to the VIN#. Example a VIN# of 124379N530XXX would have production dates in 10C, 10D. That means the car was built the 3rd or 4th week of October 1968. I know that because I once owned a 1969 pre-x code Camaro built like that. A car that has a VIN of 124379N60XXX would not have a production date of close to 1D, 2 A or 2B it would be past that.

The www.camaros.org source is good but they are wrong on the end VIN# for cars produced 10D of 1968 including the one I once owned.

Bottom Line: a car with a VIN of 124379N53XXXX would not not have a production date of 4A with an X code like X33 or X77 on the cowl tag. Chevy did not place X code's on Norwood built cars until sometime in December of 1968. You will even see guys who have a VIN of 123379N6 or 12337L5 with X33, X77...NO WAY!!!!! When you see that leave right away. If the 3rd digit of the VIN on the dash plate is a three the car was originally a 6 cylinder car. That tag is so obviously fake it would be a bigger fake than the breasts on your buddy's favorite favorite swimsuit cover model that has a 66-X Chest...Sorry guys I had to throw the X66 code in there.....

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Sep 14th, 06 at 10:32 AM. Reason: trim tag
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 06, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side Goons & Hitmen View Post
The www.camaros.org source is good but they are wrong on the end VIN# for cars produced 10D of 1968 including the one I once owned.
Keep in mind that trim tags are not exactly sequential like the VINs are. At the end/beginning of a month, there can be some slight overlap. For example, a car couldve been tagged 10D, but didnt actually roll off the line until the beginning of November

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 06, 09:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Dave,

Thanks for the info I did not know that. That explains the slight overlap in the VIN's on camaros.org. I bought an X44 dated 2A a few months ago. I looked long and hard for an early built Norwood car with no X code. But people wanted 25 grand for something that looks like it had been used for target pratice by Tony Soprano, Al Capone & Alexander The Great's Army subsequently eaten by Godzilla and then spit back out.

Sigh....I miss my first 1969 Camaro and I don't think I'll ever see that car ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode