When are avatars going to be turned on? - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Angry When are avatars going to be turned on?

The pro-touring site is so much more "graphic." It's almost like the difference between DOS and Windows 3.1. When are the avatars going to be turned on so we can see everyone's ride right from the thread? Thanks.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 04:55 AM
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
David

Re: When are avatars going to be turned on?

I kinda like the plain look but thats just me.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 05:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Bry 68

Read here:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...hlight=avatars

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 06:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I'd still like to have them. Most forums have settings to turn them on/off for users who don't wan't them. I miss seeing Davey.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

If it's a problem with people not liking them, they can turn them off. How about an option to turn off animation also (I don't care for animation but like seeing people's cars)? If it's a storage/bandwidth issue, make it so you have to host your own avatar. You can please everyone that way.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 08:20 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Unfortunately you can't please everyone. Most here are close to 40 or older and don't care for the avitars. Having them to please a few means explaining every day to someone how to turn them off. We already do that with adding a picture to a thread. We have members with instructions for that in their signatures because they see so many folks asking. Then there is the issue of keeping it family friendly and limiting the size. Another issue here is Al has tried real hard to not have a ton of banner ads all over the pages, partially for the clutter. TC has so many more viewers and participants than PT and we've gotten there on content. I just don't see why we have to be like other sites. Everyone can post a pic of their car in their profile and if the avatar has to be hosted off site make it a 800x600 pic and link to it in your sig instead of a 75x75 avitar. All just my opinions and instead of comparing avitars vs no avitars to Windows and DOS I like to think of it more like a kids room full of posters thumbtacked to the walls vs a house with framed pictures on the walls...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech

I vote no avitar.
I also frequent ls1gto.com and they have them.
Most of them are not family friendly. Mostly T&A.
Keep it clean.
My .02

Brichead

Dan

67 Convertible
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry68 View Post
The pro-touring site is so much more "graphic." It's almost like the difference between DOS and Windows 3.1. When are the avatars going to be turned on so we can see everyone's ride right from the thread? Thanks.
If I want to see your ride, I'll click your link.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Good point about keeping it clean. I really hate that, and hate the foul language even when people asterik the words out. Just a suggestion, but avatars could be off by default, turn them on if you want. If it came down to a bunch of T&A avatars, though, I vote No.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

I like this format. It's very clean and easy to read. I think Al should leave it be.

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

I see nothing wrong with an avatar say 100x100 as long as it is in good taste,

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Michael Faucher

I also agree with the no avatars. While I am a member at other sites and do have custom avatars that I use depending on which board it is.....

This is a great site with a lot of info and it is very refreshing to just come and hang out, help others, learn, or just shoot the bull...

In Life and Cars Remember----It's not Quantity, but Quality
-------------------------------------

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech

With the avatars, signatures, links and other distractions, it's sometimes hard to separate the gingerbread from the meat of the discussion. It seems funny to me that a 25 word reply gets lost in all the other BS that comes up every time you post.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 10:41 AM
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
David

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that PT's threads pull up much slower than here. Maybe thats because they have so much animation! I don't know.. This site seems more adult oriented and user friendly.

Lets keep it simple folks. Anyway, A smiley is worth a thousand words. What else could you possibly want .
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

We don't need signature pictures but a 100x100 avatar would not be a problem. If you don't like avatars then turn them off.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode