Car Appraisal - Team Camaro Tech
Community Help Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 07, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chuck

Cool Car Appraisal

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this in but here it goes. I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and my insurance company is insisting that I get my car appraised before they will insure it. My question is does any one have any names in the Milwaukee area of some appraisers, and about how much does it cost to have it done? Any info would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 09:04 AM

Re: Car Appraisal

I would try www.valenticlassics.com they sell muscle in WI. and would most likely point you in the right direction.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 11:52 AM
Retired
Jim

Dont insure your car with anyone till you do your research, probably in Bench section is best,,, use the Search button and type in Insurance... dont buy any classic car insurance that isnt 'agreed value' insurance. Its all there for reading as its discussed many many time. No need for paying for an appraisal either, if you can live with classic car insurance and its limitations of security and travel and parking requirements, which are not all that bad. Good luck

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 02:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Rat View Post
I would try www.valenticlassics.com they sell muscle in WI. and would most likely point you in the right direction.

Valenti Classics - They appraised my 77 Camaro.
They are just off of I94, near the Seven Mile Road exit in Racine County.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 11:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

Any car appraisals in California? I insured mine, but they want an appraisal...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chuck

Thank you all for the info. I'll contact valenti classics. It's only about 6-8 miles from my house.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 07:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Who are you guys using for INS? I have never had to provide an apprasial, a couple pictures and once an inspection by the ins agent is about it...

I see a typical appraisal as a waste of money because there just are not a lot of appraisers that are model specific experts. all they can do is provide a status on condition and point out obvious modifications like wheels and tires, aftermarket dash etc.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
chuck

I was told by my agent that they need a appraisal so you don't insure your car as a ZL1 for $850,000. Then your car gets jacked and your ahead $850,000.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 11:59 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

LOL - that's funny stuff Chuck. Is that what you tried to get your car insured for? Obviously if you submit a car for insurance and set a value that's out of the ball park they might need an appraisal. When I set the value of $40k on my '69 they didn't blink...

Just for fun I would like to see someone take 2 cars to an appraiser. Not someone like McNeish but to a place that gives classic car appraisals every day. One car is a real '69 copo with dog dish hubcaps and looking just like it rolled off the assembly line. The other car is a very over restored stock BB RSSS very nice clear coat base coat with deluxe interior and houndstooth inserts, rally wheels etc. Then watch and see which car gets the higher appraisal value.

JMO but most of the regulars here have more Camaro knowledge than most appraisers... There are just too many cars out there for there to be very many really knowledgeable appraisers that can identify and give a sound appraisal of every car brought to them.

...Dennis

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 12:53 PM
Retired
Jim

chuck Im not sure you are reading all the info. thats given to you in here. DONT Buy from anyone until you learn about Agreed Value coverage. Dont buy from the first agent you talk too either. Call Grundy, Hagerty and others that specialize in Collector car policies. You WONT find Agreed Value with your typical State Farm, or Progressive or All State. thats just not their cup of tea.
Go to our Bench section and search for Insurance threads, and read them all. You will be shocked at some of the stories you see. This post of yours is in the 'Site' section for issues with the operation of the Team Camaro website. your question belongs in the BENCH section where you will get all you need to know for you to make a good decision.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 02:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

I really don't see how getting an appraisal would be a bad thing. Yes, you may have to do your homework to find a decent appraiser, and even then, they probably aren't going to be a camaro expert. But, in general, I would think that their estimate would go further to prove worth of the vehichle more than anything else, should the vehicle get stolen or totalled.

I also think that the value of the car can effect how you prove what it's worth. Just some thoughts here... but I almost think that it would be easier to prove that 100k car is worth 100k, than it would be for me to prove that my 15k car is worth 15k

Jon
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 07, 04:54 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

My objection is it's out of pocket money for the appraisal... $100-$300 to have someone tell you what they feel your car is worth... The can't certify it's a Z/28 or big block SS for you but they can look in the same book the ins co has at it's disposal and come up with a value for you. When an Insurance company requires an appraisal they should provide it. Hagerty and Mercury don't need written appraisals and both of them will tell you what they feel your car is worth if you ask them with just a couple pictures. If you don't like their judgment they will ask you to prove the cars value. Then you can provide reciepts or an apprasial if you so desire...

Jon you are right on about the high dollar cars being easier to prove their value. As for the lower dollar cars, I have upped my value 3 times with Hagerty since I first signed up. Guess what, each time they asked how much and were very happy to oblidge my request. Until I cross a threshold they don't care, they up my premium each time I say the value of my car has gone up.

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode