Team Camaro Tech banner

My 1968 So Cal restoration

14K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  nats68 
#1 ·
I will begin with the history of the car.
My father in law bought the car in 1970 and drove it for almost 20 years. My wife then got the car and drove it for a few years. The car started having issues and it got parked. There it sat for the next 20 something years.
I convinced the wife it should spend some time in our garage and get restored. So a few months ago we dug it out and relocated it into our garage.
The best part is, it's completely rust free. It's always been a Southern California car and spent those 20 something years in a garage.
It is a 6 cylinder PG standard car in grotto blue.
I've already begun the resto. I've had the subframe powder coated and am waiting for the front suspension components to show up.
I've sold the powerglide and the 250 and plan on putting in a built small block 350 with a 700r4. Changing from a column shifter to a console shifter.
I also plan on pretty much replacing everything on the car. Wiring, brake lines, fuel lines etc...
Any advice or comments are welcome. Thank you.
And yes I will be posting pics as I go.

See less See more
#6 ·
Welcome to TC! Looks like a fun project and that you have already made a good start. My advice would be to sit down and think about the whole project and what will be required so you do not have to redo things later in the process.

#9 ·
Thanks.
Yes it's a Van Nuys built car. The plant was less than 10 miles from where I live. That is before it was turned into a shopping center.
Definitely keeping it grotto blue, maybe add a bumble bee stripe or some z28 stripes. Not sure yet.

#17 ·
Hey the restore is looking good. Good to know there is another restore going on in the same neighborhood. I am a bit behind you but will be rolling full blast soon. I have been working on the car to get it registered and the non-op lifted, but once I get that I am going to start pulling it apart and redoing it. keep the updates coming.

#22 ·
Hey the restore is looking good. Good to know there is another restore going on in the same neighborhood. I am a bit behind you but will be rolling full blast soon. I have been working on the car to get it registered and the non-op lifted, but once I get that I am going to start pulling it apart and redoing it. keep the updates coming.
Been a while since I've been on here. What part of L.A. you in? I'm in the San Fernando Valley.
Thanks. If you have AAA, go there to get it registered. Mine wasn't registered for 20+ years and was only there 20-30 minutes to get VIN verified and registered in my name.

#23 ·
Thanks. I'm gonna paint it the factory Grotto blue it was. Probably with silver Z28 stripes. Interior, I'm not sure yet. Probably go black with some blue accents. I thought of going all blue like it came from the factory. We will see, I might change my mind.

#25 ·
Here's a quick update. Not much has happened since the front suspension has been installed. I have figured a few things out though.
I will be putting an LS3 with a 4l65e trans. Wilwood brakes and a Ridetech 4 link.
I'm not sure about the interior. I was thinking TMI but I would like to see the sport seats in person. I really like the idea of stock bolstered seats. I love the bolstering in my Subaru.
Anyone in the L.A. area with them so I could check the out?
Thanks

#26 ·
Here's the latest. I dropped the steering box off at Lees. Getting it rebuilt with the updated internals. Just waiting to get it back. I replaced all the steering components. I will hopefully be ordering the brakes next week and possibly the 4link. I will get some more pics up soon.

#28 ·
I will be getting the steering box tomorrow from Lees. It took 2 weeks to rebuild it, not bad. He told me it would probably be 3 weeks.
I also ordered the complete brake system today along with the Ridetech 4 link.
Next week will be like Christmas.

#29 ·
Quick update. Got the Wlwoods installed, along with new brake lines, master and booster.
The LS3 and 4l65E are in the garage waiting to be installed. Also waiting on the motor mounts and headers.
As soon as the car is back from getting the mini tubs installed I will be putting the motor and trans in to see how it all fits.
The 4 link is also installed.
Also, as soon as I can get some pics up I will do that also.

#31 ·
Thank you. I wish I had seen this sooner. We could have used another hand when we put the motor and trans in.
Now I'm trying to figure out where to mount the fuse box and computer for the motor. I think the fuse box is
gonna go on the firewall and the computer will go under the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.