alminum headed 427? - Team Camaro Tech
Test Drive! New to this area?
Get comfortable here by posting and editing your own messages.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tracy

alminum headed 427?

Hey all, Im new here and I am actually a mopar guy. Now hang on dont hang me yet!! I am a true car guy and appriciate all muscle whether it be circled, wearing a bow tie or being the star. the reason i am here is I got my hands on a big block that i thought had factory aluminum heads. My machinist ran the numbers n said it was a 68 427 with factory aluminum heads. the block numbers are 3916321 and the numbers on the heads are 3919842. there is a 10 10 67 number on the heads also. this is a standard bore block standard crank n the heads look to be stock. there was a solid cam in it to. i do know where the car is that it came out of but it has 327 flags on it. can anyone tell me bout this motor or wat its worth? thanks any help would be appriciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: alminum headed 427?

Some L-88 427's did have 3919842 aluminum heads. The stamping numbers/letters are on the passenger side of the block, at the front of the engine, on the top of the block, just in front of the head. Those numbers and letters will tell if it was a genuine L-88 or not.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Here's where to find the numbers Jon is talking about: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PadStamps There won't be codes for the Corvettes, but once you find the stampings, plenty of guys here will be able to decode it. Nice find if it's real!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 04:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Tracy

The numbers on the pad are ce852189. I also noticed the cylinders have a notch machined into them and it looks to be machined not ground. Can anyone decode these numbers for me?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 09, 09:42 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

CE stands for Counter Exchage or Chevrolet Exchange (or at least that is the popular belief). Whatever it stands for, it means that is a warrantee replacement engine. Do the casting date codes all line up in the block/intake/heads? The machined notched you are talking about if I read that right where done at the factory to unshroud the valves.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If I'm not mistaken there is no way to be sure with a CE engine if it would have come with aluminum heads or not but it sounds like you made a good score if you're into it for a good price. A CE stamped block is very desirable if the date codes are right, for a guy who has a non matching numbers car. At least with a CE block it is possible for it to be an engine that was replaced under warranty rather than one that obviously came from a different car. At least that's the general theory. To me once the original engine is gone it's gone whether it was removed when the car was 3 months old or 30 years old but that's just me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 31st, 09, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Tracy

Im understanding that the dates are close enough to say that it was bought or replaced as a whole engine and not replaced in pieces. Any idea wat value of this engine is? no intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode