79 Z28 Restoration sound deadening - Team Camaro Tech
Test Drive! New to this area?
Get comfortable here by posting and editing your own messages.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 12, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Keven

79 Z28 Restoration sound deadening

I have a restoration question for my 79 Z28. This is by no means a show car, but a daily driver and a father son project. We're wrapping up the interior and can't afford the high dollar sound deadening matt material but had an idea of using expanding foam in between the fender wells and inside panels. It's all dead space with no worries about covering up anything with the foam. I've used expanding foam in home construction so know the pros and cons, but it should work. Am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 12, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: 79 Z28 Restoration sound deadening

Do not use expanding foam, over the yrs it traps moist between it and the steel then becomes a mnission....
In NZ we have rolls of foil backed self adheasive tap paper stuff used in the building industry, seal window frames and stuff.
Comes in different widths, 200mm being the most usefull to me.
I have spent off and on over the last 2 1/21 yrs looking into this, and suprising, from forums around the world and talking to guys who have used it in everything from buckets to pickups (hot rods)...its rather an impressive 'alternative' to paying a fortune because some well known guys name and pic is on the front.

Most guys use 2 layers....
Cost for a 1st gen about $400 for the whole car.
Also take into consideration some areas dont require complete cover, ie inside door skins...it is not sound proofing in these earea but sbsorbtion of reverberation of the panel.....ie just a reasonable size square/rectangle stuck to the inside of the panel....
Same goes for the side 'walls' of the trunk.

The reason for doing the 'homework' is its been over 12 yrs since the last body rebuild, its due, and may as well do it then....but over $ NZ3000 thats a bloody rip off for a few basic elcheapo bits of raw materal stuck together....someone is making more than their far cop out of it.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
z28 sound deadening

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode