Team Camaro Tech banner

How do the Hotchkis Springs "hook up" (traction)

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Silver69Camaro 
#1 ·
I have read through numerous posts on these springs....one thing I havn't heard is how well do they hook7 Anybody have traction problems? Any wheel hop? How about posting some 60ft times with street slicks if Ya got them. I am wondering about the springs by themselves, no slapper bars(yuk) ,caltracs or anything additional...I am looking for a good "out of the box" combination of handeling and traction without the use of hang on traction devices.......I know that the caltracs can be "unadjusted" for handeling, but seems to me that they would be a little noisy adjusted that way (maybe I am wrong).....Thanks for any replies.....

#2 ·
Based on my experience with the Guldstrand three leaf autocross springs, I think the Hotchkis leaf springs will be as good or better than traction bars. They won't hurt cornering and won't add weight. Won't bind up the suspension from moving properly.
I think tires and front shock tuning will be very important in making them work well.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has used them.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

#3 ·
An old Mopar Super-Stock trick was to clamp the front leaf ends real tight so that the front portion of a multi-leaf spring was almost solid. But I can't say how this arrangement really worked on the street, but it worked pretty good on the strip as you can tell by examining the old S/S, 1/4 mile times. pdq67

#4 ·
Yes, the Mopars had good spring setups.
A company called Tri-City is supposed to have all the Mopar leaf spring technology.
The Hotchkis leaf appears to have a long stiff third leaf on the bottom that can act like a traction bar but probably softer effect.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.