Questions on new console - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Re: Questions on new console

I got a new lens. I know I need a new printed circuit but I haven't ordered it yet. That brings up another question. On the back of the tach there are 3 small bolts that are terminals. Do those go through holes in the printed circuit and then do any other wires attach to those termainls? I know there is an orange hot wire for the clock. Does it attach to the terminal with the orange wire on the inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

my tach installed in place of the fuel gauge in the dash, then installed the new printed circuit board and put nuts and washers, the factory plug on the circuit board has the new wire to run the tach instaled in it, the power for the tach is in the circut board ,i dont know about the clocks power,I sent the other info this morning on a email.
scott
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Studying my Factory Assembly Manual closer I see where the upper and left bolts come through the printed circuit and have nuts that clamp it down. The lower right terminal comes through a slot in the circuit board and the orange wire from the harness connects to it. So I think I've got that figured out now.

Thanks for doc Scott and all the help everyone

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Hopefully just one more question on the low fuel warning. On the back of the gauges I have one unfilled hole in the center and an unattached yellow wire from the gauge harness. Does the Low Fuel Warning MODULE (part number 3109 from NPD) plug into that hole and attach to the yellow wire? What does it do? Make a sound or turn on a light? Is buying that module all I have to do to add this option if my car didn't originally come with it?
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech

Part Number: # CA6805E

"68 FLOOR SHIFT MANUAL TRANS" TO "CONSOLE SHIFT MANUAL WITH GAUGES" CONVERSION HARNESS

Should not be the same from its description , Thats a Manual Floor Shift ( No Console ) to Floor shift with a Console and Gauges.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

NPD C-3109-2A $56.95 IS THE LOW FUEL MODULE
it connects to the fuel gauge in the consol, connects to the yellow wire with the oppisite end a bulb that plugs into the dash with a light that turn on showing low fuel (like a idiot light except it reads fuel in the dash) yes it can be added and problee plugs in to your tach somewhere.
scott
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I understand now how and where the module hooks up to the console gauges and the long yellow wire goes back to the instrument cluster. I just wasn't aware there even was an idiot light in that cluster (in a 68) which illuminates when the fuel is low. Is that light always in the cluster or only if you originally had the option? I guess I need to see an owners manual that would explain the various lights and what they mean. I don't know if it was on the speedo side or fuel gauge side. If on the fuel gauge side it probably won't even be there anymore since that gets replaced by the tach.

I forgot I have an original owners manual buried away in all the stuff I got when I bought the car. Doh
It shows on the speedo just left of the odometer the oil pressure indicator light and then says (low fuel light available with optional console). So I'm guessing the same bulb is used for either. I guess it's a true idiot light and doesn't indicate what it means when it's lit?? So that tells me all I have to do is pony $57 for a module and I have it!

Last edited by Winch; Jul 10th, 09 at 01:35 PM.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmith1969 View Post
Part Number: # CA6805E

"68 FLOOR SHIFT MANUAL TRANS" TO "CONSOLE SHIFT MANUAL WITH GAUGES" CONVERSION HARNESS

Should not be the same from its description , Thats a Manual Floor Shift ( No Console ) to Floor shift with a Console and Gauges.
This harness will be different than the A/T in that it won't have the purple and purple/white wires that go to the neutral safety switch nor the pink and light green that go to the backup light switch. All the rest will be the same. I'm saying that since this part is coming from Classic Industries it will probably have the pigtailed junction connector that mine has for the wires that go to the face of the fuse panel unlike other vendor's harnesses which don't have that pigtail and instead have the individual full length wires with female connectors on them.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Is that light always in the cluster or only if you originally had the option?
(only the option)

It shows on the speedo just left of the odometer the oil pressure indicator light and then says (low fuel light available with optional console). So I'm guessing the same bulb is used for either. I guess it's a true idiot light
(the oil idiot light goes away replaced by a fuel light on the yellow wire from the consol harness since the consol gauges will now have a functional oil gauge, the oil wire on the engine side/dash side is also removed from the fuse panel)
scott
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

You're gonna kill me. I understand that. The same hole in the back is used for the oil pressure light or the low fuel light. If oil pressure it uses a blue/white wire but that gets replaced by the new yellow wire. But is still just a light at the same spot. How can it just be a light if it's oil pressure but display the word "FUEL" if it's low fuel light unless there is a different face around the speedo. Or I'm still not understanding. I wish I had it in front of me so I could take it apart.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

the lens that says oil uses the bulb socket screw in type for the printed circuit board

the lens is changed to say fuel and uses the bulb on the yellow wire from the low fuel sender down in the consol
scott
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWSAM62 View Post
the lens that says oil uses the bulb socket screw in type for the printed circuit board

the lens is changed to say fuel and uses the bulb on the yellow wire from the low fuel sender down in the consol
scott
The lens gets changed? That make sense but I only see one repro lens available in all my catalogs and I have a new lens from OER and it doesn't have any writing on it, oil or fuel. Where do I get a correct lens?
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
The lens gets changed? That make sense but I only see one repro lens available in all my catalogs and I have a new lens from OER and it doesn't have any writing on it, oil or fuel. Where do I get a correct lens?
yes,
my nephew took it to a printer and had a trasfer made for the letters (FUEL) he put them on a used lens after removing the word oil, looks good, we never found a source for a aftermarket lens
scott
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

From these pics in catalogs it looks like the word oil is in the speedo itself. Is there a diferent lens than the one in the other pic here?

Last edited by Winch; Jul 15th, 10 at 12:34 PM.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
SCOTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
From these pics in catalogs it looks like the word oil is in the speedo itself. Is there a diferent lens than the one in the other pic here?
yes additional lens(looks like they sell the speedo with that lens installed,(oil /brake))
when you take the speedo apart from the instrument assy the red lens will be a seperate piece with the word oil on the left side and the word brake on the right, just a piece of plastic, i think the green lens is seperate piece of plastic also.
scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode