67 standard Camaro rear seat removal. - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
gil

67 standard Camaro rear seat removal.

How do you remove rear seat on a 67 standard Camaro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: 67 standard Camaro rear seat removal.

Push back at bottom edge them lift up. for the bottom cushon.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 01:53 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

Some are easier than others....for the tricky ones I use the butt end of regular hammer with a rubber handle. That way I get a grip on the springy rod that's crosswise next to the catch. Push on the hammer and then the seat up and it'll come off. If you can't see where you're going use a flashlight at the same time pulling up on the seat enough to get some gap in order to see with the light.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 14, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: 67 standard Camaro rear seat removal.

As stated above, press down on front edge of rear seat cushion (in the area about center-line of the front seat back ahead) and shove towards the back of car. The hook system on lower cushion should release and allow you to lift front edge of seat up and out once you have both (2) latches released.
Sometimes it helps to put your knee on front edge of seat to help press down and release latch.

Once lower cushion is out you will see fasteners for bottom of rear seat upper cushion section - remove those and lift the rear cushion up to release from it's top mount latches.

Apply

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 10:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

It's a pain in the *** (at least mine was). It helps to see how the mechanism works so get a flashlight, put your head on the passenger seat floor and look up at the bottom of the seat. You'll see how the wire on the seat catches the mechanism on the floor.

Edit: I remembered the last time I took the seat out it was such a pain that I didn't put it all the way back. I just took a few pics that may help. The first pic shows the catch mechanism on the floor from the side. To the right is the front of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	90178  

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 14, 10:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

In this pic you see the metal bar on the seat that slips into the catch mechanism on the floor. You have to push this bar back and up, then pull it forward (on the left and right passenger side). I used a small pry bar to push it and a lot of curse words to encourage it along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	90186  

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 06:50 AM
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Carl View Post
In this pic you see the metal bar on the seat that slips into the catch mechanism on the floor. You have to push this bar back and up, then pull it forward (on the left and right passenger side). I used a small pry bar to push it and a lot of curse words to encourage it along.
I used a rubber butted end of a claw hammer. The rubber on the butt end keeps it from slipping off the that crosswise bar that we're trying to push back.

For some reason some seats are super-tight and others can come off with a simple push of the hand.....

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 07:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I usually slide and fold both front seats forward, wedge myself between the front seat back and the rear bench, use my knees to push the bench back while pulling the front lip up. She'll pop when you get her released.

PITA and why I don't pull them often.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Usually some neat history under there if the cars not been apart for a while.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 09:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
I usually slide and fold both front seats forward, wedge myself between the front seat back and the rear bench, use my knees to push the bench back while pulling the front lip up. She'll pop when you get her released.

PITA and why I don't pull them often.

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

This is a side view of the latch under the seat.... hence the push back, lift up, and pull out motion.

I agree with the get our butt in there and push...

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 14, 02:08 PM
Tech Team
Marty

Yeah, push it with your knees and pop it up and out with your hands. Do not mess around with it, apply some pressure and pop it out.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 10:03 AM

Wink Re: 67 standard Camaro rear seat removal.

I wanted to thank everyone that posted on how to take the rear seat out of my 67 Camaro. It's February 20, so this little project was a little tougher than it should have been. Like Gordr said mine seemed to be a little tighter than normal, It was tough but pushing down and pulling up simultaneously is the proper method. Thanks everyone for your help.

Luwi67 OMG did I find stuff, we need to take out once in awhile just to clean the mice stuff out. Smile
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 15, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: 67 standard Camaro rear seat removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamaro37 View Post
... we need to take out once in awhile just to clean the mice stuff out. Smile
Before you put it back throw a couple 'Dryer Sheets' under there - it will keep the mice out
Same for a few tucked under dash, front seats and even a few in the heater/defrost outlets* - they will keep the mice from building nests or chewing their way through your interior
(* = just make sure they are in an area where they won't blow up into, and plug, the duct outlets ...)

ps: if the rear seat is already in just tuck a couple under with a 'paint-stick' as a pusher ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 15, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech

This thread really helped me so I figured I'd add to it. My rear seat bottom was really in there tight. After a few attempts to push back and up simultaneously by hand, I decided to get some better leverage....

All I had to do was push on the top of the 1x4 while pulling the seat up. This setup worked like a charm and the seat was out in seconds. I hope this helps someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode