Opinions on this Repro Rosewood Wheel Quality -Keep it or return for - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 05:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Opinions on this Repro Rosewood Wheel Quality -Keep it or return f

From the pictures it looks more like the walnut version than rosewood.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

If you have ever seen a NOS Rosewood wheel it looks similar to what you have. New they are very dark and get lighter over time. Your wheel looks more correct than most repos I have seen. Somewhere on my computer I have pics of NOS ones I had. I'll look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 06:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

Nos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001 (2014_12_09 21_23_09 UTC).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	168938   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002 (2015_04_02 23_33_01 UTC).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	168946   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003 (2015_04_02 23_33_01 UTC).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	168954  

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks Charley - would love to see those pics, I may be off base here

Last (and only ) rosewood wheel I have seen was back in early eighties when I worked at Chevy dealer - as I recall it was fairly rare even then- one of the counter guys knew me and my 69
And showed it to me- he had special ordered it for someone

Dad bought his '69 'Camuchi' used '70, i started driving it in '77 at 14,gassing it up for him, he fixed it up for me in '79, now i am fixing it up/w my 3 boys & 2 girls, and Dad is looking down making sure i do it right
Thanks Dad.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Wow
That is dark like my repop.

Dad bought his '69 'Camuchi' used '70, i started driving it in '77 at 14,gassing it up for him, he fixed it up for me in '79, now i am fixing it up/w my 3 boys & 2 girls, and Dad is looking down making sure i do it right
Thanks Dad.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
I'll take some pics in the daylight and post them with a link. It's a gorgeous cherry looking wood, nice shiny varnish. Most people don't know it's not stock. I'll post back tomorrow. The first one had a couple tiny cracks in the varnish and they swapped it out by sending me a new one ASAP with a return shipping label.

My only issue is it makes the factory wood look on the dash and console look way cheap comparatively lol.

Alex
Alex,

Were you able to get some pictures and info on your wheel?

The one I have is going back!

thanks

Matt

Thanks Dad.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 06:23 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Matt, sorry for disappearing. Here are 3 pics, they are in bright afternoon light and the color didn't come out as it does in real life. I was going to take some later in the afternoon but was busy with my kids. The first pic, even in in the shadow, it is a *tad* bit darker in real life than that. But the shadow is a close, the other 2 pics make it looks way fake lol.

Hopefully tomorrow I can to better show the true color and the wood grain. I'll also find the info for the place I bought it.

I recall it took a 69 Camaro/Firebird Grant kit for the wheel to attach, then you will have to do some custom work for the factory Camaro center/horn section to work like I did for my Firebird's PMD center.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20161228_14_34_08_Rich.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	169202   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161228_14_33_20_Rich.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	169210   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161228_14_33_33_Rich.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	169218  

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks Alex
Kids and family are always first
We have five ourselves ��
Thanks for the pictures that wheel looks awesome

Thanks Dad.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 16, 02:19 PM
Tech Team
Alex

I've been sick and bed ridden last couple days. Here is the link to the wheel I bought on eBay:

Chevelle Impala Nova Wood Steering Wheel High Gloss Finish 15" SS Cap | eBay

Same seller I bought from too. He was great about right away swapping out after the first one I received had a couple tiny cracks in the varnish from shipping.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks Alex
Hope you feel better.

Thanks Dad.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
Misha

I've been down this road so many times........I've had every type of repro rosewood wheel and have never been satisfied. So.......I took my new OER wheel and had Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration do a complete make over. And this is what it looks like......beautiful. I may have around $550 in this wheel, but its as close as you're going to get to a correct looking rosewood wheel then buying the real thing with cracks at around $1500. I have friends who have had their original rosewood wheels done, and they look the same as mine....you can't tell the difference.

Charley is right......NEW original wheels are dark when new......so....its a hard call to make.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	169722  

Mike
69 Camaro Z27
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks Mike
Yours is the look I am wanting
But can't do the 550$
I am going to go. With a real wood wheel

Thanks Dad.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Misha

Camuchi.....I know what your feeling...believe me. Been there done that.

There is a thread on the site showing a picture of the wheel you're looking to get. It looks real nice, but again...its not even close to the real thing......if that really matters to you.

Good luck!!!

Mike
69 Camaro Z27
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

For now I have to spread my car $ around and still have a few big purchases to get mine on the road, which is the first priority !

Thanks Dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in