Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Melrose RS
  • 1 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 17, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Deluxe courtesy light cover removal in a 67?

I have a 1967 with the deluxe interior with a courtesy lights at the back of the car. I need to check the bulbs but can't get the covers off. I'm not sure how to remove them. Do they unscrewed or just pop off? I'm afraid to force them because I'm assuming they're brittle after 50 years of being back there

Does anyone know how to remove the two rear courtesy light covers to check the bulbs?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 17, 11:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: Deluxe courtesy light cover removal in a 67?

There is no easy way to remove those lens. Thats the way to check those bulbs. I used a small pin knife to get under the edge to pry the lens out. If your lens are original you can bet they will break. The aftermarket replacements lens fit pretty well and look as good as original.

I want to give you a heads up that the negative side of the dome light circuit is switched. That means one of the terminals is hot all the time and only a dual contact bulb will work.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.

Last edited by rogerh; Feb 11th, 17 at 11:15 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Thank you. Very good info. Just in case - where did you get lenses that fit well?

As much as I'd hate to do it, I'm considering adding the upper light as I understand the back lights don't do much.

I don't suppose there's any chance the wiring is already there??? My headliner is in great condition so I'd hate to mess with it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 08:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach62 View Post
Thank you. Very good info. Just in case - where did you get lenses that fit well?

As much as I'd hate to do it, I'm considering adding the upper light as I understand the back lights don't do much.

I don't suppose there's any chance the wiring is already there??? My headliner is in great condition so I'd hate to mess with it.
I have alway found the light good enough but you are they give off much light. Some people have tried to put in brights bulbs just to melt the plastic lens. I'm not sure but I believe there are LED bulbs to give you more light. As soon as I found the connection under the dash for the dash courtesy light, I install those.

No the wiring for the overhead dome light isn't there. You would need to pull the headliner loose on the left side to install that wiring. The dome light plugs into the same connection as the sail panel lights. The connection is just under the package tray on the left side.

Roger

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Well found the problem and got it fixed, thanks a ton for the help. I just took delivery of the car on Monday. Had a huge car show yesterday (Saturday).

I will look for the LED replacements. I do like the under dash light idea. I've never heard that one before. I would like more light.

If you or anyone has any details on the under dash lights it would be appreciated. Like I said, I've only had the car for 6 days.

You said the connection is located under the "package tray", what is that? I assume the under dash lights are available at the standard places??

Thanks a ton.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 10:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

The connection "under the package tray" is for the dome or sail panel lights.

The connection for the courtesy lights is behind the left kick panel. There are other threads about the courtesy light so if you would do a site search, you would find the info you want. This is a link to a under dash courtesy light kit.
Camaro Courtesy light kit conv 1967 - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration

Roger

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 01:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Just want to chime in to add to the good advice Roger gives. Original owners know their stuff!

The under dash(courtesy) lights are REALLY helpful if you ever drive your car at night. Mine has the sail panel lights also and it's very dark up front if you drop your phone on the floor or something like that. The install for the courtesy lights is a breeze. Just buy the harness and connect it up as Roger said.
rogerh likes this.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Bought the kit, thanks. If anyone has a pic of the wire / location to hook the lights to I would appreciate it. Or even the color code of the wire??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 06:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach62 View Post
Bought the kit, thanks. If anyone has a pic of the wire / location to hook the lights to I would appreciate it. Or even the color code of the wire??
The link below is a thread that has a picture of the courtesy light connection. The picture is the area behind the left kickpanel. The kickpanels are not that easy to remove and to remove the left one you'll need to also remove the emergency brake peddle.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-ele...-location.html

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 10:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
The link below is a thread that has a picture of the courtesy light connection. The picture is the area behind the left kickpanel. The kickpanels are not that easy to remove and to remove the left one you'll need to also remove the emergency brake peddle.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-ele...-location.html
If you get lucky as I did, you may not have to remove the panel. Just follow the wrapped wire harness down until you hit the connector. It only plugs in in one orientation.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 03:32 AM
Apprentice
Graeme

I am rewiring my car at the moment and had hoped for a bit more information about how to remove the light cover but at least I now know that they pry off and won't waste time trying to screw them off.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 19, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech

My 67 didn't have the covers when I bought the car but the interior otherwise, including headliner, were new. I bought re-pops from Ricks Camaro that fit perfect. You can use a small flat blade screw driver to gently pry them up working around the lens gently vs trying to pry it from one point. I later just put a piece of packing tape (the clear stuff) over the lens and lifted it out to change the bulb. Just peeled the tape off the lens when it was off. A small suction cup would also likely work to pull them off.There are 3 plastic tabs that go into slots of the light base

I also added the under dash "courtesy" lights I got at NPD. My car did not have the connector inside the DS kick panel so I just taped into the orange wire of the glove box light.

IMHO in combination with the sail lights there is plenty of interior light with door open
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

My car came with the dome light and I ended up using an led bulb and it was still dark in there so
I ended up installing the sail panel lights with help from RogerH thanks for all your help still seems dark up in the
front of the car dash area but I guess its better

sail lights1 by Michael Bowen, on Flickr
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech

Dome & Sail is quite a bit of light but if you don't also have it you can add under dash "courtesy" lights

excuse the mess...but pic of under dash "courtesy lights:

Bad67355 likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Dome & Sail is quite a bit of light but if you don't also have it you can add under dash "courtesy" lights

excuse the mess...but pic of under dash "courtesy lights:

All 3 would light it up pretty well just out of curiosity how hard is it to install this setup?

67 RS 355sbc 11.76et @ 116mph 1.67 60' Deluxe Parchment interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode