67 Strato Front Bench seat - help needed! - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

67 Strato Front Bench seat - help needed!

Hi gang, I picked up a 1967 Camaro Strato Front Bench seat today. Overall pretty solid and MOSTLY complete, lower full bench is there with seat tracks, the arm rest is there, and the two seat back are there as well - but it's missing the bracket(s) that hold the center armrest in place and also (I think) supports the upper seat backs, pivot point.

I've searched high and low and cannot find any good detail on this bracket. I'm guessing I'm going to have to try and get one fabricated at this point as there are very few repro parts out there for the front bench seats. Attached are the best pictures I could find on the internet, but not enough details to figure this out.

So - are there any members out there who have a 67 or 68 Strato Back front BENCH seat that can help me out here? Looking for pictures of the brackets with as much detail as possible, dimensions, etc. I could really use some help here.

Other option (long shot) is somebody has a broken down old bench seat that they would be willing to sell me just the brackets.

Thanks gang. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Seat Brackets 1.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	221973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Seat Brackets 2.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	221975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Seat Brackets 3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	221977  

67 Yenko Tribute in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 18, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: 67 Strato Front Bench seat - help needed!

If you're looking for a picture of the plastic cover for the hinge, he's an old link from the CRG site with photos

67 bench seat parts

And these are on eBay right now, along with a 68 bench seat for almost $800:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1969-C...oAAOSwJSRbqXOe
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Thanks Russ. I'll try that link on CRG again but I cannot seem to see the pictures. It's from 2012 so maybe they have been deleted.

Yes, I saw the plastic hinge covers (escutcheons) on Ebay, it seems these, and the seat covers, are the ONLY parts reproduced for the front bench seats. And I really don't want to buy another full bench seat if I can avoid it, I live in Canada and the shipping cost alone would kill me on a full bench....

What I really need is someone who HAS a front bench (maybe out of the car awaiting restoration) that can show me some pictures of what the arm rest brackets look like UNDER these escutcheons. Most the pictures on line have the escutcheons in the way (covering the brackets) so I still can't tell what the actual bracket itself looks like.

Also, I cannot figure out how the seat back pivots (inside pivots) work, it seems this may be a separate bracket from the arm rest bracket? The outer pivots are the same as the bucket seats but the inside pivots are not, and mine are missing.

Again, anybody that has a bench seat that could get me some really detailed pictures of these brackets, maybe even some measurements, would be HUGELY appreciated!!

Note - there was a thread on this site from 2010 from user JediJawa and he stated that he has a build thread going where he was rebuilding his front bench with pictures but I can't find his build thread. I PM'd him but he hasn't been on this site since 2012 so I'm not sure he's a member anymore...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 18, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

You might reach out to member rogerh on this site, or maybe he'll see this topic. He has a 67 with a bench seat, and is the original owner. He's also gone through a restoration and I believe took a lot of pictures of the project.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Thanks for the lead, Russ. I've reached out to Roger to see if he can help me out. But if anybody else has a bench seat I'd love to hear from them too!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I have a bench seat in my SS 350,,,I may be able to help
I went and looked,,access is limited, to get any decent pics, the armrest should be removed
cant really see much with armrest installed. one side of my armrest is broke, some plastic piece it looks like
its too bad a guy cant find replacement parts

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

1967 RS Convertible Factory A/C, PS, PB PG 327
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Thanks Tim - any help is appreciated.

I'm probably going to need to find someone who has an already disassembled bench seat/arm rest, or someone who is willing to remove the arm rest, to get any good pictures of the mystery brackets.

I suspect the broken plastic piece on yours is probably the escutcheon. These are almost always broken or missing. The good news for you is this is about the only part on the front bench seats (besides the seat covers) that they DO reproduce. Here is a link to some on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1967-1969-Ca...oAAOSwJSRbqXOe

If you do decide to order a pair and replace yours....take lots of pictures!!
Niblet likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 06:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Wayne

Hope this helps , I am doing some repair work on my 68 bench seat now , if there is any other pictures you need let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181005_192245_1538788063907.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	222017  
Garfields Maro likes this.

Wayne
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Wayne - that is EXCELLENT! Thank you! You've just posted the first and only picture of these brackets on the internet! Would you be willing/able to take some measurements, or better yet, pull one off and trace it on paper as a template for me?

Also - how the heck do the inner seat pivots work then? I thought the seat backs were connected to this bracket but it doesn't appear so - it looks like there is a hole drilled into the left bracket but not the right one, (purpose?) so I guess the seat backs don't connect to this then?

Any chance you could get me a picture (and again, template?) of the seat back inner pivot bracket?

I really do appreciate any help here. It is so hard to find any detail on the elusive front bench seat....

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 03:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Wayne

The brackets are for the armrest pivots. The seat backs pivot on the brace that is welded to the seat frame. That is the part I'm repairing. The seat back for the bench seat has a stud instead of the arm to pivot on the seat bottom. If you notice the hole in the bracket on the last picture that is where the seat back pivots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181005_194106_1538821160858.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	222019   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_191949_1538821223326.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	222021   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_194427_1538822078478.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	222023  

Garfields Maro likes this.

Wayne
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Wayne

See if this may help on the on the arm rest brackets, sorry I didn't have any graph paper on hand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181006_083327_1538829382865.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	222029   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_083335_1538829405631.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	222031  

Wayne
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Wayne, That is absolutely unbelievable! You have no idea how much this helps me - I cannot thank you enough. If I didn't live 2000 miles away I'd buy you a beer.

I will print out those sketches and scale them to size - thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm sure a good machine shop can build it from this drawing.

I now see how the seats pivot into the seat frame, I found the holes, makes sense now. I didn't realize that the seats tilt inward like that when you fold them forward.

One last (hopefully) question. I see there are SPRING HOLES on both brackets. Are these springs to help hold the arm rest in the upward position? Would have a picture of the springs and maybe how they fit into place?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 09:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Wayne

Well I believe the slot is for a spring ,they were not on my seat either. And yes I think it is to hold the arm rest in the up position. It seems I saw a diagram a few years ago on a wiki post that showed a spring but will have to look on internet to see if I can find it again.

Wayne
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

I think you are correct, Wayne. I zoomed in on the pictures from my first post (I grabbed them off the internet so they're not high resolution) and there does APPEAR to be a black spring that engages in the bracket hole and then into the side of the armrest itself. I just looked at my armrest again and there is a small hole on each side near the bolt hole, looks like this is where the other spring end would insert into - it's all adding up.

If anybody has an armrest seat and is willing to share a picture of their spring set up this would be great.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 09:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

This is some not very good picture of that spring. It is a S shaped spring. A smaller end of the S goes into the bracket.

The inside seat hinge looks like a pin, about 1/2", going from the side of the seat to the seat bottom.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	222057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	222059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	222061  

Name:	IMG_0706.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	222063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	222065  

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode