Down and dirty info on TMI seats - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

A couple of months ago I purchased a set of TMI factory looking bolstered seat covers and foams for my 69. I just got them in the car due to nobody stocking a white cover. The install is pretty much the. Same as a regular seat, but I did not use the cotton batting. The seats I removed were fresh with no broken springs, cotton batting, burlap, and new foams. The seats looked good, but had no real support. It felt like I was sitting on the floor. Maybe the springs were weak from all the years of service. Who knowes?

The new seats are actually "new" frames from golden star. I went the rout of new frames as I didn't want to wonder if the springs were compromised. This is what I have as far as measurements. I am 5 foot 9 inches tall. So I guess average height.

Original seat I had 3 inches of head room.

TMI seat I have 1.5 inches of head room.

In the picture of both seats together the original is on the left. It looks like a big difference, but the tape says only 1.5 inch difference. Second picture is with TMI on drivers side, and original on passanger side.

The thing I didn't think about is the back of the seat. I have no measurements, but I am considerably closer to the steering wheel due to the extra foam in the TMI seats. I think a set of seat extenders is in the future. The feel of the seat as far as the bolster is not enough for me to say it was worth the upgrade. I have the seats now, so I will use them, but if you are planning sport driving, I would just get a sport seat. To rap it all up, would I use the TMI covers and bolster foams in a future build? The answer is probably not, the difference in the TMI and the stock reconditioned seats is minimal. Just wanted to post this as many are wondering the difference in seat measurements, and headroom with TMI in a first gen Camaro. Oh ... By the way my car is a 69 Z. Hope this helps Y all.

So I just went for a ride, so an update.

Seat extenders... Absolutely. Too close to the steering wheel. I have a tilt, and still not comfortable. I have a very short hair cut, and if I hit a slight bump , my hair hits the headliner. This means I will cut some metal out of my seat tracks.

My fix will be cutting my tracks and making them flush, and extending them at the same time. I think 2 inches will work.

Not to bash TMI, but I will not be doing any of these upgrades on stock seats on any of my future or current builds. Good luck with y'alls builds, and God speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1016181146_Burst01_1539717864848.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	222247   Click image for larger version

Name:	1016181317_1539717881325.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	222249  
Yellow69RSZ likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

Last edited by X-77 keith; Oct 16th, 18 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 11:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Down and dirty info on TMI seats

Keith... I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures as I also have a white interior in my '69 and while I have new OEM style covers, the foam is way too mushy for me and honestly... with the suspension mods I've made and this coming... I'm going to need some serious side bolsters to stay put during "spirited" driving on twisty roads.

I'm constantly on the lookout for a reasonably priced take-out set of bucket sport seats and then hopefully I can find someone to make white covers that look close to the originals.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Keith,

Some of us have lowered the seat sliders to counter the taller TMI seats. I really like my TMI Sport seats since making this mod. I am similarity in height to you.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...eat-rails.html
https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...tmi-seats.html.

(After composing this i noted you were already party to these conversions and I see you plan to cut the tracks).

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Thanks. I can't believe I forgot to post the pictures. They are in the original post now.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 01:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Tmi one piece headliner gives another inch or two headroom

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 01:48 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I also purchased the TMI bolstered seat foam and new TMI covers. The seats IMHO look great. I have not installed them in the car yet but I'm close. I did however sit in the seat ( seatback supported by a buddy) and I thought the support was pretty good. Only time will tell if I really like them once installed. Great write-up BTW, thx.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 02:23 PM
John

Garage

Are use them on my 69 with the sport foam and really liked them. Tilt wheel and 2 inch extenders do the trick

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have a few pair of adjusters , so I started cutting. Took one inch off the front, and an inch and a quarter off the back to recline back just a bit. I tack welded them to a piece of angle so I would know exactly where they started. Going to set them back 2 inches as well. Will let Y all know how it turns out. I do already have tilt wheel. If the seats were black, they would be on Craigslist. White seats are hard to sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1016181743_1539726318169.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	222251  

X-77 keith
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Definitely a difference in height, even in the center section. Mine (OE vs TMI) were the same height in center section.

Did you install them yourself ? The most difficult part of the installation for me was getting the listing wire (I think that's what it's called) in the foam compressed enough to get it hog ringed to the springs. I sometimes wonder if folks skip that step or maybe I wasn't suppose to do that.

Thanks for the write up and measurement comparison.

btw Andrew, I finally found the legs I cut off of my original sliders. 3/4" indeed, plus the width of a cut-off wheel.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Oct 17th, 18 at 12:48 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Trying to explain. Here's a pic of a backrest with the original upholstery.

Note the paper wrapped wire (listing wire ?) around to perimeter where the factory covers were hogringed. I believe the TMI foam with it's own listing wire should be hog ringed to the original spring listing wire (in the above pic). Then of course, the new covers hogringed to the foam listing wire.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yes you are absolutely correct. It was a pain, but I did hog ring the foams to the seat, and then ring the cover to the foam. Was a pain in the rear. Fortunately I have a spring loaded set of hog ring pliers that the ring will stay in while mashing down hard to get to the spring. I have done several seats. These just don't seem to be worth all the hype to me. In dedicated at this point. I cut the 2 tracks for the passanger side and will install them maybe tomorrow. I don't see a point in moving that seat back 2 inches.

And it is called a paper coated listing wire. You are correct.

X-77 keith
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 18, 04:13 PM
John

Garage

You are also comparing new seat foam and covers to seat foam that may be decades old.

The seat will also “settle” a bit with use.
69-Pace likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 01:01 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

As I understand it, the stock seat Keith is referring to (pic in OP) has been restored, so the comparison with TMI should be fair. What's odd is my original, worn seat was the same height (not including bolsters) as the with new TMI upholstery.

I agree, they do settle a little in short time.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The stock seat was rebuilt with new foams from legendary, new cotton, and burlap. That seat had no broken springs, and the side springs replaced. Seat had less than 800 miles on it. I'm not sure when TMI did it, but I believe they changed the come a bit. The picture with the TMI. Cover and foam is on a brand new seat with new springs. That could be part of it, but TMI did tell me the foams will make the seats taller. They told me different from what is in the earlier linked post from like 2013 or whenever it was.

X-77 keith
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 18, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

My personal experience was all good..I have a stock 67 Camaro and my 68 pro touring and I find them quite a bit better. You do sit a bit higher and forward but at 5.10 works good for me.. Easy to install after I rebuilt the fort and rear seats completely . ( car is mini tubed)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Just 1 More likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode