Courtesy Lights - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 213
Garage
Courtesy Lights

Ok, small victory. Got some 67 bulbs (Don, wanted a skoosh more light), still waiting on console festoon light (212 LED warm). Question, I remember reading about the courtesy lights having three switches. Door - Door - Light switch. Well each door turn on lights, cool. How does light switch work? I remember from 100 years ago to turn the headlight knob, but that didn't work. Turned ignition on (not started) and tried again and nothing.

Am I doing something wrong, bad light switch, or just an EXTREME NOOB? Not overly concerned and my main concern was operation on doors and that is good. Mainly curious to the 3rd switch.

Can't believe how happy I am to have light, little things in life.

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)
aggiegoalie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
Jim
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,181
Re: Courtesy Lights

You should be able to twist the headlight knob counterclockwise and then feel some resistance but then with a little more twist, you should feel a click with some slight amount of resistance and then a little more counterclockwise rotation. This should turn on the courtesy lights as long as they were off before (door closed). If for some reason the headlight switch does not rotate counterclockwise, see if it turns the other way (it may already be at the full counterclockwise position). It should not take a lot of pressure to rotate and click on the dome light switch on so no need to get out the pliers to twist it

The headlight switch connects a ground to turn on the courtesy lights and does not require the ignition switch to be turned on.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOA-Nova is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 213
Garage
Re: Courtesy Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA-Nova View Post
You should be able to twist the headlight knob counterclockwise and then feel some resistance but then with a little more twist, you should feel a click with some slight amount of resistance and then a little more counterclockwise rotation. This should turn on the courtesy lights as long as they were off before (door closed). If for some reason the headlight switch does not rotate counterclockwise, see if it turns the other way (it may already be at the full counterclockwise position). It should not take a lot of pressure to rotate and click on the dome light switch on so no need to get out the pliers to twist it

The headlight switch connects a ground to turn on the courtesy lights and does not require the ignition switch to be turned on.

Jim
Noob, for sure. Thanks Jim, that is what it took.

Think my dad's Caddy had a dimmer that is why I was going clockwise, as it felt like it was a dimmer switch.

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)
aggiegoalie is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger
 
rogerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 19,397
Re: Courtesy Lights

This is the page in the manual that explains headlight switch operation.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page-14.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	222467  

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
rogerh is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 213
Garage
Re: Courtesy Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
This is the page in the manual that explains headlight switch operation.

Roger
Thanks Roger,
Looks like what I thought was dimming was for instrument lights. Didn't pay attention on that.

Just check, instrument lights don't seem to change while rotating clockwise, come on but no change in brightness. But the counter-clockwise click does turn on courtesy lights, so I think I am good

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)

Last edited by aggiegoalie; Nov 1st, 18 at 07:56 PM.
aggiegoalie is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 18, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Jim
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,181
Re: Courtesy Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegoalie View Post
Noob, for sure. Thanks Jim, that is what it took.
If we knew everything from day one, we would be VERY dangerous

We all have to learn and we have all been noob's at some point.

I'm going to be a noob if I ever install a twilight sentinel in one of my cars.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOA-Nova is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 18, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Lee
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Re: Courtesy Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegoalie View Post
Thanks Roger,
Looks like what I thought was dimming was for instrument lights. Didn't pay attention on that.

Just check, instrument lights don't seem to change while rotating clockwise, come on but no change in brightness. But the counter-clockwise click does turn on courtesy lights, so I think I am good

The dimming function won't work if you replaced the dash bulbs with LED bulbs. The LED bulbs require much more resistance (like hundreds of ohms) before they will start to dim and the rehostat in the light switch is only like 4 or 5 ohms.
blitzer454 is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 18, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 213
Garage
Re: Courtesy Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
The dimming function won't work if you replaced the dash bulbs with LED bulbs. The LED bulbs require much more resistance (like hundreds of ohms) before they will start to dim and the rehostat in the light switch is only like 4 or 5 ohms.
I didn't change the dash bulbs.

The under dash bulbs are incandescent 67 bulbs. The light in console for rear seat is what I changed to a 212 LED (warm). My neighbor, '67 Bird, said his console bulbs got real hot, so I switched that one to LED. Upon his recommendation I went warm light, he thought the warm glow was more in line with tradition vs the BRIGHT WHITE from normal LED's. Good enough logic for me.

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)
aggiegoalie is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 18, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Lee
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 162
Re: Courtesy Lights

I learned something new, I didn't even know there was an under dash bulb, either mine never had one or someone else ripped it out before I got it.

Ah, who doesn't like warm light it's so warm. I switched out my dome light for LED bulb, it was much brighter and doesn't melt the cover like the original bulb did.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blitzer454 is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 18, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 213
Garage
Re: Courtesy Lights

Think neighbor was right, I like the warm light in classic car:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_165932.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	222479  

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)
aggiegoalie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome