Firewall treatment - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Firewall treatment

Hey Team -

A quick question - I am installing my sound proofing today (faux hushmat) and curious what everyone does with the inner firewall afterwards? Do most go ahead and install the factory style sound proofing mat with the push pin christmas tree things or forego altogether?

Thanks in advance!

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 12:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I still use the factory style mat , but I use the rubber plugs instead of the plastic Christmas tree's.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Re: Firewall treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I still use the factory style mat , but I use the rubber plugs instead of the plastic Christmas tree's.
OK, thanks Keith. I guess what are probably a couple more stupid questions:
  1. When putting down the sound mat do you go over every square inch and cut out for protrusions like the seat hooks?
  2. After it's down do you then systematically go back through and cut out all the openings in the doors, floor and firewall?

Hope this isn't too basic but I want to do it right and I know there are probably many people on this forum who have done this and had it turn out well.

As always, thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 01:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

You don't have to cut out every hole in the floor. Try not to put it over the seat mounting holes, seatbelt bolt holes, and your console mounting holes if you have a console. I like to use lizard skin on the inner doors and roof. Just my opinion.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
You don't have to cut out every hole in the floor. Try not to put it over the seat mounting holes, seatbelt bolt holes, and your console mounting holes if you have a console. I like to use lizard skin on the inner doors and roof. Just my opinion.
I actually bought the lizard skin gun and was going to use on the entire interior but changed my mind. I just had nightmares of lizard skinning the outside of the car, my garage and everything else due to poor masking. Still haven't decided on what to put on the roof after spending 4 hours getting the original crap off which was a bit of a nightmare.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 02:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Lizard skin mixes like cake batter. You should mask off where you don't want it, but overstay is minimal. Water based too, so not much smell. I am sold on it. It also tightened up the roof metal. Absolutely no oil canning with it on. If your roof needs filler, the roof will stay put while sanding. I have no affiliation with the product, just happy with the results. I used the heat and the sound killer.

X-77 keith
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Used factory mat, but also used a layer of Fat Mat beneath it where I could. Same with floors, doors, beneath rear side windows.. May not be as quiet as a new vehicle, but definitely quieter without all the road noise. So much nicer either listening to music or engine purr.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode