11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Sound deadening ????

Dynamat?
Fat-Mat?
Read good things about the Noico 80 mil.. as good or better than the others and cheaper.. Anyone have real world experience?

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
bob

Re: Sound deadening ????

I'd be curious as to what others are using. I was planning on using Thermo Tec's heat and sound suppressor (https://www.thermotec.com/products/s...at-control-mat) this spring when it gets a bit warmer......
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 01:06 PM
Tech Team

I used damplifier pro by second skin on my 68 Camaro. Very high quality product that is easy to apply. I put this on both door panels, trunk and lined the floor panels. Made a huge difference in reducing vibration and engine noise.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 03:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

I used B-Quiet Ultimate then went over with their v-comp just on the front and rear floor. My car is LOUD and you can have a conversation in the car with the windows open normally. Also no heat at all from the exhaust tucked tightly to the floor or from the firewall. Super happy with the price and the results

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I've used Dynamat. No complaints. I can have a conversation now in my Camaro.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I use a like product from Home Depot, a little thicker and better heat and sound proof compared to my Hushmat car with the same drivetrain. Cost is very attractive about 25% the cost of Dynamat. Foil backed and very sticky. Comes in 12" rolls in the insulation department.
69X66 likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 06:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I found that on the floor just go 80MM and whatever you get will likely be fine.

If you're using it on vertical surfaces, however, get the good stuff so the glue holds. Also clean the surface well before sticking it on.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I used both of the Lizard skin on the floor, firewall, and roof. I then put the Lowe's/ home depot stuff on the floor and the sides. It is still hard to have a conversation in My car with the Windows down around 45 mph. I have a 302 with a magnaflow 2.5 X pipe system out the rear. I have heard of the Lowe's/depot stuff falling down from the roof. I can't say why, it could be the product, or the prep/ install. Just my 2 cents.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I used Dynamat Extreme... Now my doors close with a thud and not a rattle.
I also did the floors and ceiling(roof).

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

Last edited by 77thor; Jan 28th, 19 at 10:14 AM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 09:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I always used Dynamat, later Dynamat Extreme. It works as advertised. It sticks and will not fall off with time. I think you have to freeze it for it to be removed. It provides sound deadening and reduces the heat transfer into the cabin of the car.

There use to be some good information about the product on the internet years ago. I saved some technical pdf files that show just how much it reduces vibrations. If someone wants a copy, send me a note.

There is a aluminumized tape that should be put over the seams. Many people don't use the tape. Dynamat is like a radiant barrier in your attic of your house. The shiny aluminum on the mats and tape reflect the heat away from the inside of your car. Also the tape helps prevent water from collecting in the seams between the mats.

There are other manufacturers that make products similar to Dynamat. I am sure some of them work just like Dynamat. Some of them will smell bad for a few days. Dynamat does not stink, if that matters.

Dynamat makes a product that goes under the hood of your car. It is called Extreme Liner. It is made of neoprene foam, acoustic lead, acoustic foam, 3 mill urethane top outer covering. I stuck this under the hood of my trunk. After 16 years, it has yet to fall off. This made the most dramatic reduction of sound in my truck.

On my Firebird, I used a combination of Dynamat and Lizard Skin. I used the Lizard Skin for areas that are hidden from view and might get wet. It can be painted or sprayed on. It has the advantage of sealing the metal. I painted it in the inside of the cowl panel where the wiper transmission goes. I painted the inside of my quarter panels and doors before I installed them. I painted it on the under side of my trunk pan where the gas tank is located. I poured it in the inside of the deck lid.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick

Last edited by tp_smith; Jan 28th, 19 at 10:21 AM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

since they make sound deadener from butyl rubber, I went to my local roofing company and got their heaviest rubber
I am quite happy with it. I have straight 2.5" stainless pipes out the back and can have a conversation
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
Dynamat?
Fat-Mat?
Read good things about the Noico 80 mil.. as good or better than the others and cheaper.. Anyone have real world experience?
I don't really have any across the board perspective on this but I am installing 80 mil Noico in my 69 as I type. It lays down well, is sticky as hell and common sense tells me once Dynamat's patent wore off the sky was the limit for competitors. Essentially some kind of elastomeric, tar-like substance bonded to a reflective metallic backing and voila!

This may be oversimplifying but considering all the varieties with the exception of the really specialized materials are essentially the same product not sure a huge price swing is warranted. I bought two boxes of the Noico material for about $125 on Amazon and it's enough to cover every square inch of the interior so we'll see.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
rsb0719 and Just 1 More like this.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 05:42 PM
Tech Team
chris

Used FatMat Rattle Trap XXX here on my floors doors and ceiling no complaints.

Chris
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Do you use these materials ilo the regular carpet insulation and package tray insulation?
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 08:12 PM
Tech Team
Todd

I used this roll of stuff that seems vary similar. It might not be quite a thick or sticky but it seems to do a fairly good job https://www.amazon.com/Thermwell-FV5...SIN=B000IO6Q2Y I got mine at Lowe's.
Just 1 More likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode