Rear Window Trim and Package Tray - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Rear Window Trim and Package Tray

A couple of questions hoping you can answer:

1. Should this galvanized trim be removed if I use the TMI one piece headliner? It looks like there are remnants of the original cloth headliner tucked under the edge.

2. I am planning on installing a moderate stereo with a couple of 6 X 9's under the package tray. As you can see, it has been butchered up over the years and I am curious if I am better off just trimming the ovals smooth or something else?

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Rear Window Trim and Package Tray

Tim, Yes those strips are to be removed. Here's a couple of links you'll probably find helpful.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...ls-w-pics.html
https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...r-install.html
I would clean up the rough edges on those hacked speaker openings.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Tim, Yes those strips are to be removed. Here's a couple of links you'll probably find helpful.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...ls-w-pics.html
https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...r-install.html
I would clean up the rough edges on those hacked speaker openings.
Al -

Thanks so much for the quick response and great information! Sounds like you got a bit of a raw deal with your first go around from TMI but it sure looks good now. I read through both links and your build log last night - your car is really great looking. Out of curiosity, would you not recommend the one piece headliner now? I am missing my headliner, bows and all other pieces so the cost differential is pretty minimal and the fact I can do it myself is appealing. Also, you have a lot of red going on whereas I will have white - the only black will be my dash, console and carpet. Wondering if it will be too much white?

Thanks again for the quick feedback and great links - it's what makes this forum so appealing.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Tim, If you go with TMI don't buy direct. Pricing and customer support is better through a
vendor. The install is fairly straight forward but be prepared to make adjustments. For example
I wasn't expecting the need to use screws to retain it. I do like the looks of the one piece headliner
and would probably do it again. The pillar covers required a lot of work that would not be needed
if the design was correct. I have zero experience with the standard headliner. My only option was
take the car to an upholstery shop which we only have one locally. Like you I knew I could do the
one piece myself. I do have a lot of red going on but with chrome door handles and different materials
adding varying textures it all blends well.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 11:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Shannon, the one piece looks pretty good in the cars. I opted to go with the original style. I have only done 2. They are a pain, but if you have a day, you could do it. Its just a lot of pulling and gluing to get the wrinkles out. If you do go with the one piece, the galvonized pieces that you mention are only held on by clips. A pair of diagonal pliers will make piping those clips out a snap. Dobt throw those strips away. They are not easy to find. Someone o, this site I'm sure would buy them from you.

My car looks a lot like yours, mine is orange with white stripes, and white seats, and door panels. My carpet is black, package tray is black and my headliner is black. I think the headliner should stay black. White would be very overpowering. Just my thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0601181019_1548876992654.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	224407  

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Shannon, the one piece looks pretty good in the cars. I opted to go with the original style. I have only done 2. They are a pain, but if you have a day, you could do it. Its just a lot of pulling and gluing to get the wrinkles out. If you do go with the one piece, the galvonized pieces that you mention are only held on by clips. A pair of diagonal pliers will make piping those clips out a snap. Dobt throw those strips away. They are not easy to find. Someone o, this site I'm sure would buy them from you.

My car looks a lot like yours, mine is orange with white stripes, and white seats, and door panels. My carpet is black, package tray is black and my headliner is black. I think the headliner should stay black. White would be very overpowering. Just my thoughts.
Keith -

I have a little experience doing the fabric and bows but definitely not may favorite thing to do or where my skills lie. I think the one piece is a nice compromise and gains just a little headroom. I appreciate your feedback on color as well. When I was a kid my dad had a Cadillac that was red with a white interior and I remember it being a bit blinding. Was leaning towards black on the floor and roof for this very reason. Now all I need is to find the X-77 code on the back seat support and we would be alike...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yean the headliner was not fun for sure. Extra headroom is definitely a plus.never thought about that. Keep chugging away , its worth it.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I did the original circa 1988 and would rather not do it again. Two tips if you go with the original. Wait until summer so you can lay it in the sun for awhile to lessen the wrinkles. Also with either one put some decent insulation above it.

68 302 M20 3:73 - 85 IROC Z - 82 Honda CB900C
The older I get the faster I was.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 03:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Good tip on the insulation. Putting it in the dryer on low heat for a few minutes helps with the wrinkles and makes it not so stiff if you can't wait till summer.

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode