Rear Window Regulator? - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Rear Window Regulator?

Is this what they look like?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...321232&jsn=510

I didn't know they had cable type regulators....assuming the pics are correct representations...often pics and or description are not accurate

Right now rear window only cranks down about 3" then stops. Feels very tight to crank

P.O. pulled handles and put caps over the crank splines so I assume he had issues with the rear windows

Before I pull panel and look was wondering if the rockauto.com unit is what they are

this is one from NPD

https://www.npdlink.com/product/regu...1967&year=1967
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Re: Rear Window Regulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Is this what they look like?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...321232&jsn=510

I didn't know they had cable type regulators....assuming the pics are correct representations

Right now rear window only cranks down about 3" then stops. Feels very tight to crank

P.O. pulled handles and put caps over the crank splines so I assume he had issues with the rear windows

Before I pull panel and look was wondering if the rockauto.com unit is what they are
I am not sure where the reference to cables are coming from but these are correct. They are for power windows but they essentially look the same.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

on the RA link if you click the arrow on pic it goes to a cable part that looks typical of power window type. It's a manual crank window.

My sense, without seeing the regulator yet, is the NPD pic is right

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
on the RA link if you click the arrow on pic it goes to a cable part that looks typical of power window type. It's a manual crank window.

My sense, without seeing the regulator yet, is the NPD pic is right
Yes, the manual one is a correct representation. When you said cable I was thinking of something else but it was the power wire you were referring to.

I just went through these for my 69 so very familiar with the manual versions. I don't know this for sure but either you have a bent track which is binding the window roller and preventing it from going down or a broken spring which is locking up the mechanism itself. I would take the rear panel off and take a close look before purchasing anything.

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
I don't know this for sure but either you have a bent track which is binding the window roller and preventing it from going down or a broken spring which is locking up the mechanism itself. I would take the rear panel off and take a close look before purchasing anything.

Good luck
yeah I will pull panel first and look. Was just getting a idea of costs if I need to buy a regulator...and who has the better $ on the part

I suspect the coil spring broke. It will crank down initially and then stop before it would normally then pivot forward and down

By "cable" (steel cable, not electrical) I meant the 2nd pic on the RA link shows what a typical power window one looks like. I suspect it is just a FU listing and the first pic showing the manual crank one is correct. It looks like the one on NPD site
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 11:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Those regulators don't usually go bad. I would suspect you have a roller that is bad. The bottom ones commonly break. Like stated before, look before you buy a regulator that you don't need.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Anyone have a link or diagram/illustration of the rear window track/regulator assembly?

Is any part of the mechanism attached to the outer rear 1/4 panel?

I have the Chassis Service Manual...but don't see anything about windows in it

I did find this thread, which is helpful, but was looking for something that shows the illustration of the parts "inside" the car

https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-in...-dale8346.html
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 04:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

This is what they look like and no, no part of them fastens to the outer quarter:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr.../a9400111.html

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/7660238.html

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the links, I did have those bookmarked if I needed them.

I would like to find diagram/illustration of how the parts are placed inside the rear 1/4. Not seeing anything for windows in Chassis Manual

Have heard a "lower" roller is common to break and wanted to see where it is located.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 06:13 PM
John

Garage

Google “scared shiftless” on YouTube. Everything you need to know

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

You need an assembly Manuel. I took mine out, cleaned it up, lubricated the track and rollers. It only rolled half way then I had to push it down before. I did replace $5 roller. Re installed the way it came out and it works like new. First time with no diagrams just reverse the way it is taken out, not rocket science. Take some pics while still in the car.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I believe you'd need to look in the Fisher Body Service Manual for window regulator info.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I just put my 1/4 window regulators and tracks back in after cleaning them up and re-lubricating them. Before, they would only roll halfway up and stop. I would have to yank and wiggle them while cranking at the same time to get them up.

After cleaning and re-lubing, they go up butter smooth now. The only thing I replaced was the bottom roller on the window because I broke the old one trying get it off the old glass.

Here a couple of photos of mine and a scan from the 1968 Fisher Body Manual.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Dave, pics worth a 1000 words.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Got the door panels pulled for rear 1/4's. It's a fold down rear seat so the "armrests" like on the convertible's are part of the door panels. PS was just frozen so a little back & forth with window crank, WD 40, lithium grease and all is good on that side. I need to buy the C channel seal that goes over the forward edge of the glass the chrome/rubber trim piece attaches to so it stays on

The DS...the middle lower roller had come unscrewed so I was able to find the pieces inside the body and get back on. Not sure if the part that threads onto the roller post will stay. It seems the threaded axle the roller is on turns so no real way of getting it tight.

?, how do you get this roller into the center channel of track it rolls on?

Not seeing a wider part top or bottom of that track it would fit through...unless I have to take all the regulator, window, etc out and work on the glass on the bench and use thread lock or something

the lower roller in this pic

This appears to be the center lower roller

https://www.npdlink.com/product/roll...9292?year=1967

Also there were chunks of what look to be old very hard rubber or some form of body assembly sealant in the bottom of the body. Some of the chunks look to be formed as a "channel" the glass rode in but I am not seeing this type of channel inside the body

Was this just excess body sealer that the window did track through but later just broke off?

Last edited by SoCal805; Mar 12th, 19 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode