Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By X-77 keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 19, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quarter window chrome trim.

How is this assembled to the window? Is it glued in place or just pressed into the window?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 19, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Also, does the thin rubber piece that goes in the molding goal the way to the top of the chrome or right up to the joggle?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 19, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Quarter window chrome trim.

I believe originally a non hardening sealant was used in between the parts, but may not be necessary, depending how tight everything fits. Try a trial fit, putting the rubber over the glass, then a little liquid soap on the rubber and tap the molding on with a small rubber mallet. If it seems too loose, then use an adhesive.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 19, 04:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I run a small bead of windshield urithane in mine when putting together. I do the same thing when I replace door glass in chevelle's and pick ups.never had an issue.
69Z28 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 19, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I recently replaced mine (67). I found no sign of adhesive when removing. The new
chrome piece (CHQ) needed a bit of re-forming to fit the glass curvature. I did not
use any adhesive on assembly. It was plenty tight when installed over the new glass
channel run. The channel on the chrome piece was extremely tight with the weather
strip (Soffseal). I tested the weather strip on the original piece and it fit perfectly so
apparently CHQ's channel is small. I used lots of straight Dawn dish soap in the channel
and managed to get them together but man was it a fight. Be sure you get a seal with
the metal strip embedded. There have been posts saying some don't have it. What looked
like a simple task ended up taking many hours.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 05:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Today I installed this trim on a '67 Firebird. All reproduction parts. I lubed the rubber strip with dish washing detergent and water and slid it onto place. Now it is drying and hopefully it holds.

It has been a number of years since I installed the same on my car and I remember it being tighter. Mine have held in place, with no silicone or glue or anything and has never slipped.

I'm not confident this one is going to hold. If not, what type of glue should I use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC4E56F4-AD83-478D-8636-2DD53FAC4313.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	228551  

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I run a small bead of windshield urithane in mine when putting together. I do the same thing when I replace door glass in chevelle's and pick ups.never had an issue.

I've found some of the chrome trim pieces to be spread a little more open then others I have seen. Worked with this guy in the late 80's and he use to trial fit with the rubber on the glass and had to adjust the gap tighter accordingly, and he did always use a bit of windshield sealer to make sure the trim piece stayed in place.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 711 69 B Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 06:23 AM
Tech Team
Ralph

Some aftermarket glass is thinner than the originals. Its installed with a rubber sleeve or you could use setting tape. Setting tape comes in different thicknesses to account for inconsistent chrome channel or glass thicknesses. Soap works but takes a long time to dry. I use a small amount of hand sanitizer on top of the rubber or setting tape (not between the glass and the tape/rubber), the chrome trim slips right on and it evaporates immediately leaving no residue. Haven't had one fail yet... Good luck!

PS - I've found that OER's have fit the best. CHQ's don't match the curvature of the glass.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech

I had to replace the rubber insert and just used some dish wash soap (sparingly) on the inside (glass side) of the rubber insert and a rubber mallet to tap it in place. I put the insert in the chrome piece first then onto the glass

On initial mock up the re-pop rubber (IDK what brand but got it from NPD) bottom end where the hole is for the screw was about 1/8"-3/16" to long so I cut it and punched a new hole in the rubber for the screw. Otherwise the rubber was puckering some and not allowing the bottom of the chrome molding to sit flush

There was some form of glue or something from the original rubber on the glass I just used a razor blade to clean off

So far its stayed on fine after few months or so as the dish wash soap has dried.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Well I let it dry for two days and they both came off with a little tug. I slipped some rubber hose onto the tips of a pair of pliers and pinched the track a little tighter then reapplied. I hope they will hold this time.

The reproduction quarter window glass on this 'Bird measures .187" thick and the original GM glass on my '69 Camaro measures .202" thick. That .015" difference is at least part of the reason it doesn't want to hold.

While I had the metal strips off I test fitted the rubber seals that slide into the channel. They absolutely will not slide into the chrome strip. We'll have to order another brand, probable OER.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Andrew, I had a hell of a time getting the Soffseal rubber into my CHQ chrome molding.
It fit the original chrome just fine. I'm gonna guess your chrome is the problem and not the seal.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Well the pinched tighter chrome strips did seem to grip better and I thought they were on there for good. So I tried to slide up the window seal and it absolutely would not go. The slots on the rubber pieces were not aligned side-to-side and too thick in the area they slide into the chrome piece.

I ordered a pair of Metro branded rubber seals, with metal insert, and they look much better quality. Using dish washing liquid as the lubricant I was successful in sliding one up to within an inch of the top when it stopped. I pushed so hard I moved the chrome piece off of the glass. So now I will have to destroy the chrome piece to get the rubber seal off.

Who makes the best chrome strips? These came as a set from NPD and I can use none of it.

Also, to address the glass thickness mentioned above. This reproduction glass measures .187" thick. The GM glass in my Camaro measures .202" thick. That .015 difference in thickness could make a difference in how well the rubber grips.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 12:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
Well the pinched tighter chrome strips did seem to grip better and I thought they were on there for good. So I tried to slide up the window seal and it absolutely would not go. The slots on the rubber pieces were not aligned side-to-side and too thick in the area they slide into the chrome piece.

I ordered a pair of Metro branded rubber seals, with metal insert, and they look much better quality. Using dish washing liquid as the lubricant I was successful in sliding one up to within an inch of the top when it stopped. I pushed so hard I moved the chrome piece off of the glass. So now I will have to destroy the chrome piece to get the rubber seal off.

Who makes the best chrome strips? These came as a set from NPD and I can use none of it.

Also, to address the glass thickness mentioned above. This reproduction glass measures .187" thick. The GM glass in my Camaro measures .202" thick. That .015 difference in thickness could make a difference in how well the rubber grips.
I used OER and mine went on pretty well. I did have to trim the rubber portion as it as a bit too long for a perfect fit. I didn't use any sealer for the rubber strip and the metal channel went on very snugly. I used a little Dawn detergent to slide the rubber up but I pulled as much as I pushed and the last inch was a b**ch but eventually the lined up and worked out pretty well. Will they stay? Time will tell.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 05:07 AM
Tech Team
Ralph

Kmarron,

As I mentioned above the glass thickness does play a part when using the rubbers supplied with the chrome trim so i often use window setting tape. It comes in different thicknesses and works great. I have installed many and found the OER's to fit the best. As for the rubber weather strip, I like the Metro product. I use hand sanitizer to install the window setting tape/ trim and a small amount of spray silicone when installing the seal and it will slip right on. I would post pics but i haven't figured that out yet... GL
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I purchased a pair of the OER chrome strips and the Metro seals fit them well.

I slid them onto the glass using Windex as the lubricant. They seem to fit well and hope they hold. If they don't hold I'll need some window setting tape or something.

Thanks everyone for their help. The winning combination seems to be the OER chrome strips and the Metro rubber seal units. For me anyway.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode