• 1 Post By dsego
  • 1 Post By hiperf406
  • 1 Post By Godlytroop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 19, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Distinctive Industries vs PUI

I bought a front bench seat and rear seat covers from PUI few years back and never installed them till couple months ago I tried doing them and found out the skins are garbage all the sims are twisted the material that you pull to get the front and back attached to the frame it just rips in your hand. the hold downs for the center to be attached to the springs was missing all together on one of the backs. I called and talk all the way up to management and they didn't want to do anything about it I got pissed and told the guy off and then he said to me send everything back we will repair it and send it back and I had to pay for shipping I boxed everything up and went to the post office for regular no tracking mail it would of cost me $147. I though forget about it I'll take my losses and order new covers from Distinctive Industries. Let me tell you the differences a between the two is like night and date even the thickens of the material you can see DI is much thicker all nice and trimmed and the white stripe is made the same as the original you can see the PUI is just a shine white vinyl. The pieces to tight down the front and back are made with same stuff as the seat cover I installed the bottom and it looks great. I will never buy anything from that $hithole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190214_152235.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	224839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190214_152350.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	224841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190214_152025.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	224843  

Name:	IMG_20190214_152418.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	224845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190214_210722.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	224847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190214_171943.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	224849  

Name:	IMG_20190214_172006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	224851  

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage
Re: Distinctive Industries vs PUI

I bought PUI hounds tooth seat covers, they were so bad I took them to a trim shop in Indianapolis to get fixed. The all had to be reworked, cost me $300. The trim shop said this was not the first ones the have seen from PUI that was bad.
MRCOOL_RSSS350 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Camaro, GM Performance ZZ4, TH350 W/Shift Kit, Sanderson Headers, MagnaFlow SS Exhaust, Vintage Air, Unisteer Rack, Dakota Digital, Ididit Column, Eaton Posi, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Custom Stripes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsego View Post
I bought PUI hounds tooth seat covers, they were so bad I took them to a trim shop in Indianapolis to get fixed. The all had to be reworked, cost me $300. The trim shop said this was not the first ones the have seen from PUI that was bad.
According to them I was the only one ever had any problems, they made sound as I was making things up even though I send them $hit load of pictures.
he when as far as telling me that i probable bought the seat covers used and I was trying to make a claim thats what hit the nerve and I went for the kill :P if it was the last place on earth to buy anything interior I would never make that mistake again there alot better places out there and DI is one of them I hope no one goes through what I when through with this bandits....live and learn I guess

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I have used PUI for 30 years with no issues. I deal with vendors not the manufactures on any products I am not satisfied with. I bought a vert many years ago that had a new black PUI interior and Classic Industries took it back with a exchange for white, free shipping. I have also used TMI. Both are comparable. The guys that started PUI, from what I understand, worked for GM interior division. The same with the brothers that started Classic Industries and OPG many years ago.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
I have used PUI for 30 years with no issues. I deal with vendors not the manufactures on any products I am not satisfied with. I bought a vert many years ago that had a new black PUI interior and Classic Industries took it back with a exchange for white, free shipping. I have also used TMI. Both are comparable. The guys that started PUI, from what I understand, worked for GM interior division. The same with the brothers that started Classic Industries and OPG many years ago.
Bruce maybe you had good luck with them but not me, the quality difference and correctness a between the two its like night and day

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

well here is my bench seat all done with a D/I covers it turned out great
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190225_170827.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	225529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190225_170912.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	225531  

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 10:21 AM
Apprentice
KJ

I had the same problem attempting to install Standard PUI covers on the front seats of my 67. I was able to get the PUI covers on my back seat without any issues though and it looks pretty good.

Do you think using Distinctive Industries front seat covers with the PUI rear covers would look noticeably off?
(Note these are standard covers without the white stripe)

1967 Camaro Emerald Turquoise
RSSS 396 L34
Muncie M21
12 Bolt 3.73 Posi
Hotchkis/QA1 Suspension
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 01:14 PM
Tech Team
Lorne

I used Legendary Interior for the interior on my 70 Chevelle & am very happy with the way it turned out. They are a little more expensive but well worth it. If you are like me & spent $50 - 60k plus on a restoration I felt $1500 extra wasn't outrageous for the better interior.

Last edited by hiperf406; Mar 11th, 19 at 01:26 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlytroop View Post
I had the same problem attempting to install Standard PUI covers on the front seats of my 67. I was able to get the PUI covers on my back seat without any issues though and it looks pretty good.

Do you think using Distinctive Industries front seat covers with the PUI rear covers would look noticeably off?
(Note these are standard covers without the white stripe)
I know the white stripe is not the same PUI has no grain in to the white it looks wrong where the D/I has the same grain as the rest of the vinyl on the seat my original has the grain also. I would buy the D/I no one can see both seats at the same time they will have to look to see it unless if it drives you nuts like it would do if I was doing it. I still have the rear seat from PUI that I bought in the package but I will not install it I will go bankers

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 09:52 PM
Apprentice
KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCOOL_RSSS350 View Post
I know the white stripe is not the same PUI has no grain in to the white it looks wrong where the D/I has the same grain as the rest of the vinyl on the seat my original has the grain also. I would buy the D/I no one can see both seats at the same time they will have to look to see it unless if it drives you nuts like it would do if I was doing it. I still have the rear seat from PUI that I bought in the package but I will not install it I will go bankers
Thanks for the reply, I'll give DI a try this time! Hopefully I can get mine to come out as nice as your seat looks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode