Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By tp_smith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Sound deadening in doors?

I'm installing Dynamat sound deadening material to the interior of my 67 vert. Is anyone applying it to the inside of the door skins? And if so how much? My concern is the additional weight and/or the long term effect it may have on the door skin after years of opening and closing. I could go with Lizard Skin in the doors, just wanted to gauge what most are doing/did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 05:27 AM
Apprentice
Daniel

Re: Sound deadening in doors?

I'm curious to know the answer to this as well.

Daniel
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I added to 4' x 24' strips of Dynamat to the inside of the door skins (one above the body crease and one below it)Ö
Now my doors close with a 'thud'.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 08:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I put Dynamat in the doors of my truck. I stuck some on the outside skin and also to the inner frame. The doors were quiet. It never peeled off after 12 years.

On my car doors, I used Lizard Skin. I used a paint brush to apply the product. I painted the interior of the door.

I think Dynamat will make the door quieter and heavier compared to one that has Lizard Skin.

The inside of the door will get wet when it rains. Dynamat could hold water in the right circumstances. Lizard Skin will help seal the door from rain. If you use Lizard Skin, paint the seams where water could collect and don't plug the drain holes.

[IMG]door 96 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]
rogerh likes this.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
Don

I use epoxy followed by Dynamat. Almost a full sheet. Itís all about mass and Dyanamat has a lot of mass...

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ralph

Hey Mr Smith,

I see your doors were on a horses when you applied the LS. My doors are on the car. Will I be able to apply the LS product to the skin without it all running down into the bottom of the doors? This car will be garage kept and only see rain on special occasions. Would you say coating the bottoms of the doors with LS and two strips on the outer door skin like Thor mentioned would be the way to go? I respect your opinion because I've seen some of your projects and posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 12:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I think that I just realized that maybe I am obsessed with rust.

My original door had holes in the bottom were a seam collected water. The water entered through the window fuzzie, drained down the outer door skin and collected in the door seam. The drain holes are below the seam and only allowed the water to exit when the seam overflowed.

[IMG]door 2 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lizard Skin is thick. It is thicker than the latex paint that you brush on the outside of your house. It is not as thick as toothpaste. It is not going to run if you apply it to a vertical surface.

Along with the rust, my door had some sound deadening material on the walls. I don't know if the factory or someone else applied it.

[IMG]door 10 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sometimes simple projects turn into major projects. You might see rust inside the door when you pull the door panels off. The window mechanism is going to be in the way. Tape the window roller guides so that none of the Lizard Skin gets into the mechanism.

You can use a combination of Lizard Skin and Dynamat. I used Lizard Skin on parts that might be exposed to water and Dynamat on the rest on my car.

Mr. Don is right. Heavier mass will not resonate like a thin piece of sheet metal. They actually sell mats that have a lead lining. I am not about to cover my car in lead.

Mr. Fred's method is good. Using strips will be almost as effective as covering the door as one solid piece. Dynamat is expensive. If you use strips, make the surfaces that are not covered irregular in shape. Don't make it pretty. Non-symmetrical metal does not resonate very good.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 07:26 PM
Tech Team
Lorne

I built my wife a car several years ago & for sound deadning it I used the bubble wrap insulation from Home Depot. I installed it with spray contact cement, & it work very well on cutting down noise & it does not weigh very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode