Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By allanjs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

interior door handle hard to operate

67 Camaro

It has always taken more effort than normal to open the door from inside (passenger side is fine). Using the outside handle (button)it is fine. I did adjust the striker to make the outside operation easy. Door closes easily without having to slam it

?, what adjustment inside the door would ease the interior door handle effort. It can take quite a pull, not all the time, to open. Seems like it hangs on a latch or some part of the mechanism

or is this indicative of a part wearing out and if so what?

I am going to pull door panel but wanted to know what to look for.

Window crank effort is also more than other side so will grease up track & rollers to see if that is all that needs for that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 03:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Re: interior door handle hard to operate

The same type of thing happened to my drivers door on my 68. All I did was take two pairs of vise grips and tweaked the rod from the handle to the mechanism.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 06:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

i had that issue with my 67 and found that it was the interior door handle it self. pull the handle and inspect the spines. i found a hair line crack that would cause the female portion of the handle splines to spread slightly when pulling on it. also, the retaining spring wire on the handles in is prone to wearing out. a new repro handle and spring wire fixed it like new.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
The same type of thing happened to my drivers door on my 68. All I did was take two pairs of vise grips and tweaked the rod from the handle to the mechanism.
Yes indeed, this.

I had to do this with my P/S door when I put things back together after paint.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
Thanks for the tip. IDK what the rod "should" look like but will look to see if it appears to be angled/twisted in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgdon400 View Post
i had that issue with my 67 and found that it was the interior door handle it self. pull the handle and inspect the spines. i found a hair line crack that would cause the female portion of the handle splines to spread slightly when pulling on it. also, the retaining spring wire on the handles in is prone to wearing out. a new repro handle and spring wire fixed it like new.
I have had the "door" handle off before...will look closer for any signs of cracks around the spline. It is held on with a screw. The "window" handles are spline and have the "U" type holding clip. Those have been replaced

P.O. did not install the large backing springs or plastic panel protector washers on any of the handles when he replaced the door cards so I put those in on all 4
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Your handles must have been replaced. My 67 doesn't have screws in any of the handles.
bhodgdon400 likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Al, IDK if my interior "door" handle is original or not. It has a small bolt that screws into the threaded spline post of the door mechanism. It does not attach with a clip like the window cranks

The window cranks are held on with the U type clips. All of those have been replaced with re-pop's
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 03:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Thanks for the tip. IDK what the rod "should" look like but will look to see if it appears to be angled/twisted in some way.

I have had the "door" handle off before...will look closer for any signs of cracks around the spline. It is held on with a screw. The "window" handles are spline and have the "U" type holding clip. Those have been replaced

P.O. did not install the large backing springs or plastic panel protector washers on any of the handles when he replaced the door cards so I put those in on all 4
It is time I ask this question as I've tried logic with no success. How did you post the multiple quotes in this post? I have tried the "Multi-Quote, but I must not be doing the procedure correctly. sorry for the temporary hijack, but if I can take a moment to learn it real quick I'll be good to go.

Thanks,

Brett........

Rockets Up In 2020! Inaugural Launch Date: 9/16/2020 - Vandenberg AFB Pad SLC-2W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 04:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Your handles must have been replaced. My 67 doesn't have screws in any of the handles.

yes, i just replaced originals with repops. both were held with clip, no screw. like i said, the crack was barely visible until i took the handle off, then i could see how it was spreading when pressure was applied. i would have to give it a hard yank to get it to pop open. thought the rod was bent or failing until body shop took door apart for paint and realized it was just the handle itself. i replaced the mechanism too just to be safe but after inspection the body guys said the handle was all that was really causing the issue.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Well Al, IDK if my handles are original (doubt it) but the "door" handle is held on with a small screw/bolt that threads into the spline of the door release mechanism. I will take it off and see if it is cracked as you describe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
It is time I ask this question as I've tried logic with no success. How did you post the multiple quotes in this post? Brett........
you click "multi-quote" of whatever threads you want to quote then scroll down and hit "reply" and the ones you selected to quote are now imbedded in your reply message. You can delete any portions of the quotes you want. Just type in your responses after the quotes and then click "submit reply"
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
It is time I ask this question as I've tried logic with no success. How did you post the multiple quotes in this post? I have tried the "Multi-Quote, but I must not be doing the procedure correctly. sorry for the temporary hijack, but if I can take a moment to learn it real quick I'll be good to go.

Thanks,

Brett........
Brett, Select the Multi-Quote option on each reply you want to quote. Then select the reply
option at the end of the thread. That will bring up the text box as normal.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Al

My interior was "Deluxe" so the interior door handle has a screw holding it on (link)

I did pull the handle and there is no cracking or stripped splines on it and the spline stud it attaches to is in very good shape

Going to pull panel to look inside and see if something looks "off" and grease what I can see and also grease the window rollers
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 03:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:

Thanks,

Brett........
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgdon400 View Post
yes, i just replaced originals with repops. both were held with clip, no screw. like i said, the crack was barely visible until i took the handle off, then i could see how it was spreading when pressure was applied. i would have to give it a hard yank to get it to pop open. thought the rod was bent or failing until body shop took door apart for paint and realized it was just the handle itself. i replaced the mechanism too just to be safe but after inspection the body guys said the handle was all that was really causing the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Well Al, IDK if my handles are original (doubt it) but the "door" handle is held on with a small screw/bolt that threads into the spline of the door release mechanism. I will take it off and see if it is cracked as you describe

you click "multi-quote" of whatever threads you want to quote then scroll down and hit "reply" and the ones you selected to quote are now imbedded in your reply message. You can delete any portions of the quotes you want. Just type in your responses after the quotes and then click "submit reply"

Got it! For some reason that just made me look pretty geeko. Oh well, at least now I really know how to do it, haha! Thanks,

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020! Inaugural Launch Date: 9/16/2020 - Vandenberg AFB Pad SLC-2W

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 02:01 PM
Apprentice

I had the same problem on my 67 and a 68 that were driven quite a bit so the door handles got used frequently. Turned out the design of the mechanism that the interior door handle attaches to is pretty wimpy with just a metal to metal contact surface and spot welded together sections of stamped sheet metal holding the splined shaft in place. Not a very long term design.

The return springs were broken in both so the handles did not return back all the way to the level position and may not have been allowing the latch to operate properly from the interior handle because of this.

The metal to metal bearing contact problem resulted in the sheet metal housing wearing a once round hole into a slotted shape that allowed the handle to move around quite a bit making it sloppy and causing the linkage to no longer travel the distance it was designed to. This also probably contributed to the door latch not not working well from the inside door handle.

I ended up experimenting on the worn out parts to see if I could fix them. I separated the halves of the housing and welded a thicker gauge washer over the worn out back side using the conical shape of the stamped housing to center it. The tolerances between the housing and splined shaft were pretty tight when the spring was in place but when the spring broke then the shaft moved around a bunch. This is probably what caused all the housing wear. I made new springs from spare spring steel I had that was the same gauge as the original parts using the broken pieces and some good parts as a guide to the correct shapes. Greased everything with white lithium and reassembled with stainless steel rivets in place of the original spot welds.

They worked fantastic. I have since done this to over a dozen of them for friends and family. Same mechanism is on the 67-71 Chevy trucks too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode