Adhesive for sound deadening? - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Adhesive for sound deadening?

Hey guys....getting ready to do the sound-deadener in my car this weekend. The rolls I have, have been sitting around for a number of years and they have lost their tackiness. I figure there still has to be a way to apply the sheets with maybe a spray adhesive or brush-on adhesive? I don't want it to be permanent just enough to have a secure hold and be able to peel off should I ever need to. What products do you guys recommend? Thanks.

1968 Pro-Touring Camaro. LS1/4760E. With '67 Tail lights and a '70 rear view mirror...cause I'm weird like that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage
Re: Adhesive for sound deadening?

Are you just doing floors and doors? I would think hitting it with a heat gun would bring back some of the tackiness. Just about everything is going to be held in place by a seat or a door panel. If it is not holding in place, maybe try a little bit of the upholstery spray on glue. Also use some painters tape to hold it in place while you are working on it.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech

3M Super 77 spray can

as mentioned a heat gun may "wake up" the adhesive but if you feel you need something extra the 3M stuff works great

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I would definitely recommend using a strong spray glue if you're planning on using it in the doors. Everytime you shut the door it'll want to fall off. Ask me how I know. If using it under the carpet the juting and carpet will hold it in place. As you drive your car on hot days and heat from under the car permeates up through I would think the glue would start activating. I've had fresh stuff fall off vertical surfaces when not applied properly.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Aside from the 3M stuff... the company that makes that Magic Sealer stuff you see on TV 24/7 now has a spray on adhesive IIRC.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 08:25 PM
John

Garage

Heat gun. Apply as you normally would then hit with heat gone and a roller. It will stick well without adding another adhesive

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I did not want permanent or the mess of scrapping off old glue so I used carpet tape. I did not do vertical (doors), just the floor and center hump so not sure in the long run how it would hold but it has been about seven years and tape still holding.

1969, 350 "Beast", M20, Nothing Fancy, Nothing Pretty, But Sure is Fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode