drivers door stuck - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Charles Martin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

drivers door stuck

Hi, my drivers door on the 67 Camaro HT is stuck closed and can't get it open. Tried recycling the lock couple hundred times, acts like it is working properly. tried prying it open from the outside, tried kicking it open from the inside. The outside handle feels like the lock is working and can tell the difference from locked and unlocked. in the door knob outside. Have the door panel off and things that I can see seem to be ok. SO where do I go from here to get this door open. Even tried jacking it up at the rear of the sub frame and nothing. The screws from the latch are on the outside in the jamb where can't get at them. So how do I get this door open and what is the likely cause. If pry just where is best spot to pry on
Thank You
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

Re: drivers door stuck

remove interior door panel and then follow the arm that attaches to the inside door handle and see/feel if it is engaging the linkage/door latch mechanism. The door latch mechanism may have broken keeping it on the striker

You may likely need to pull DS seat to access the door panel with the door closed. Yeah this is a PIA when the door won't open

IDK if this is a door lock thing and a locksmith could help

I don't think "prying" anything is the answer....without causing body damage
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

looks like the spring on the paddle is ok and everything seemed to be working as it should as in inner and outer door handle and the lock mechanism. Was able to go in and use an allen wrench and loosen up the striker, but door still was not opening. was able to pry on door from outside about where striker was and able to pop the door open. Now to figure out whats not working right, any ideas welcome
Charles

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 07:36 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Charles - More common than you would think. Here is a search of the archives here:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/gtsea...q=door%20stuck

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I would replace the lock mechanism. . . . .about $60, you will spend that much on beer trying to figure it out, been there done that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Cool Re: drivers door stuck

Make sure the car is not on 4 jack stands ON THE FRAME. I know sounds strange, but it will do that. If you put the back two under the rear axle, you won't have that problem !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

The problem looks to have been the striker was hitting the lower part of the latch and peened a bit making it wider and resulted in the release piece sticking and not releasing. Also seems that we bent the release arm at the door handle and it wasn't pushing it in far enough to compound the problem after the door stuck closed. A little dremel work and a little bending along with a little grease and door is now opening and closing smoothly.
69-Pace likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode