• 1 Post By allanjs
  • 1 Post By Brettallen59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage
Interior Panel Install Question

I searched unsuccessfully for install instructions and so here I am. Standard panels. The rear panel is in and I have the wind lace. How much should I cut? The cardboard lines right up the the metal, so it's in a good place. Just how close do I get to the edge when trimming it so the wind lace will go on? Should the material wrap around the metal all the way before the wind lace goes on?
or, do I cut it just so the material comes flush with the end of the metal?

Thanks for your help!

Brett.....

Rockets Up In 2020! Inaugural Launch Date: 9/16/2020 - Vandenberg AFB Pad SLC-2W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 03:07 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Interior Panel Install Question

I don't flush cut but then again I don't leave a lot to wrap over the edge. The windlace will cover the edge so its good to have enough that the windlace is snug on both sides IMHO

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

The cardboard shouldn't be flush with pinchweld edge as the windlace doesn't fit over the cardboard. It should be about 1/4" shy of the edge so the windlace goes over the vinyl only and actually butts up to the underlying cardboard. The vinyl should wrap around the pinchweld about 1/4".

You can temporarily install the windlace and mark it on the outside to know how much it will cover so the excess vinyl doesn't show. Also mark it on the inside so you know where the cardboard should end. Apply adhesive along the pinchweld to hold the vinyl in place prior to installing the windlace.
130fe likes this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Brett, Garth is correct. The windlace does not cover the cardboard. It pinches the vinyl only.
Position the cardboard back the depth of the windlace so the windlace butts up to the cardboard.
If you try to fit the windlace over top of the cardboard and vinyl you run the risk of tearing the
vinyl and deforming the windlace.
130fe likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

I actually went out and analysed the old one and noticed that it was further back than flush, so I did realize that. I had to cut into the corner up by the roof rail intersection to let the panel go back further. I then used hot glue to hold the vinyl in place. BUT, it did not matter. the vinyl still scrunched up and did not hold taught.
I'm not a body guy, I'm not an interior guy. I'm just an old guy. It don't look great, but it's on.....

Thanks!

Brett......
md z likes this.

Rockets Up In 2020! Inaugural Launch Date: 9/16/2020 - Vandenberg AFB Pad SLC-2W

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 01:16 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

They have a tendency to do that. I used weatherstrip adhesive. You gotta pull it snug and let it set up for a few hours, then carefully press the windlace on.

You probably seen the one pic I have if you did a search...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 04:53 AM
Tech Team
Ed

Is there something that should be used on the back of the panel itself to make it adhere to to the body, or does the seat hold it in place?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 20, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

A water shield https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...-Kit-4-Pieces/ should be glued (strip caulk) to the body. The seat holds panel tight against it. Excess vinyl at the bottom and rear of the panel was glued (spray adhesive) to the body from the factory. Often times, folks wrap it around the back side of the panel, which isn't correct.

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Feb 5th, 20 at 10:54 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 20, 05:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Apply adhesive along the pinchweld to hold the vinyl in place prior to installing the windlace.
I did not use adhesive in this location on my car so I could easily remove these if necessary. I have had to remove them a couple of times over the years and was glad I did not use adhesive, but that's personal preference. Don't forget the water shields. I used a heavy grade polyethylene from the hardware store and strip caulk to adhere the perimeter of the polyethylene to the body; worked great. Make sure you tuck the watershield into the slot at the bottom or the water will run into the car.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 20, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Didn't the vinyl bunch up and wrinkle after installing the windlace ?

I tried a few times without adhesive and wasn't happy with the appearance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode